Placing My First Cache ! :(

kklems

Went to place my first cache today. I have been working on get some containers ready. Decide to start with a camo painted keyholder in a local park. Did a PQ and didn't see any caches in a 1/2 mile radius of the park so I stopped by today to place the cache. Placed the keyholder on a metal plate between two boards of a gazebo and pushed it just a little to far in. Now the cache is stuck !@@! I tried to pull it out but couldn't grasp enough of it. Went to the trunk and got a screwdriver and pair of pliers. The pliers broke in my hand (just part of a crappy auto kit so they weren't that strong) and the the screwdriver wouldn't budge it. I will have to go back with one of my kids who has smaller fingers or a pair of needle nose pliers.

To make matters worse when I got home I started entering the cache on the reviewer page I noticed a problem. I took readings with 3 GPS devices and also an average reading with 2 out of 3 so I felt good about my coordinates but I decided to pull up Google Earth. Lo and behold I found an archived cache in the same park. It has been archived on a temp basis so now I have to start from scratch since it probably wont met the 528 feet rule. Not only that but we both picked the same name or close. There is a strip plaza across the street and when you are grabbing my cache the sign is right in the line of site. The park name is nothing near the strip mall name so that was quite a suprise. Oh well back to the drawing board and my paint job really matched the color of the metal plates too.

My wife and I are about to place a cache. We talked with the property owners last night about it. They are open to the idea, but want to read up some more on geocaching first. I have already checked and there are no other caches near the site for several miles. But if the property owners decide they don't want to let us place it there, we have already started forming plans of other places we could possibly put it. Always good to have a backup plan. Besides, I think that planning a cache and adapting to the situation makes the hiding of caches part of the game challenging as well.

Went to place my first cache today. I have been working on get some containers ready. Decide to start with a camo painted keyholder in a local park. Did a PQ and didn't see any caches in a 1/2 mile radius of the park so I stopped by today to place the cache. Placed the keyholder on a metal plate between two boards of a gazebo and pushed it just a little to far in. Now the cache is stuck !@@! I tried to pull it out but couldn't grasp enough of it.

I had a problem that happening with one of my caches. I'm not sure if it'll work but you could try using some sort of magnet. It might catch on the plate. I had one in my tool box labeled "pick up tool". It looks like an old radio antenna with the head magnetized. In my situation though it was a bison tube so the entire thing was made of metal. I'm not sure how it'll catch (if it will at all).

Went to place my first cache today. I have been working on get some containers ready. Decide to start with a camo painted keyholder in a local park. Did a PQ and didn't see any caches in a 1/2 mile radius of the park so I stopped by today to place the cache. Placed the keyholder on a metal plate between two boards of a gazebo and pushed it just a little to far in. Now the cache is stuck !@@! I tried to pull it out but couldn't grasp enough of it. Went to the trunk and got a screwdriver and pair of pliers. The pliers broke in my hand (just part of a crappy auto kit so they weren't that strong) and the the screwdriver wouldn't budge it. I will have to go back with one of my kids who has smaller fingers or a pair of needle nose pliers.

To make matters worse when I got home I started entering the cache on the reviewer page I noticed a problem. I took readings with 3 GPS devices and also an average reading with 2 out of 3 so I felt good about my coordinates but I decided to pull up Google Earth. Lo and behold I found an archived cache in the same park. It has been archived on a temp basis so now I have to start from scratch since it probably wont met the 528 feet rule. Not only that but we both picked the same name or close. There is a strip plaza across the street and when you are grabbing my cache the sign is right in the line of site. The park name is nothing near the strip mall name so that was quite a suprise. Oh well back to the drawing board and my paint job really matched the color of the metal plates too.

When you get your cache place you might add the story of your first attempt, it make a good read.