Garmin Topo Great Britain V2

Geo-Kate

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you out there has got the above mapping on their garmin GPSrs...

I have bought it (it's not cheap) and downloaded it onto my GPSmap 60C but footpaths are not shown on the unit.

I have referenced it to the maps on the compter in mapsource, and the paths are there, but they do not appear on my device. Strangely enough though, if you put the cursor where a path should be, the word 'path' appears on the screen. :) So is it there but just invisible? Detail is set to most, and declutter is not on.

I can't imagine Garmin have made mapping software like this that does not show paths on their devices, so I was wondering if anybody else has encountered this...

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

GK

Edited by Geo-Kate

Information

I have not used this product; but have you tried altering the settings on your GPS? Setting the maps to show the most detail

Main Menu > Setup > Map

First Icon across the top > 3 dropdown list down > Detail; set this to Most

Edited by Moote

Information

I have not used this product; but have you tried altering the settings on your GPS? Setting the maps to show the most detail

Main Menu > Setup > Map

First Icon across the top > 3 dropdown list down > Detail; set this to Most

As mentioned im my first post, detail is set to most and declutter is not on. I have been through every concievable option with no luck. I am so frustrated by this!

Information

If the packaging does not inform you that the maps will not show full detail, then I think you might have cause to complain and secure a refund, as the goods are not suitable for the purpose sold.

If you do it might be worth making a copy of the DVD just in case :)

I can't imagine Garmin have made mapping software like this that does not show paths on their devices, so I was wondering if anybody else has encountered this...

It may be a compatibility issue, rather than a problem with the new mapping. If so, it's likely that there's a firmware revision already available for your 60C, which will cure this.

You should contact Garmin UK on 01794-519944 or 0870-8501242

-Wlw

[edited for alternate number]

Edited by wildlifewriter

Taken from wiggle

On Monochrome units resolution will be less than colour units. Extended resolution available in the GPS 60 Cx & CSx. (Units this will not be compatible with are GPS 100 Series & panel mount aviation units).

hope this helps

Thanks for your help, my unit is 256 colour, so should have full detail from map. I will be contacting Garmin today to try to get this resolved. I hope i'm doing something stupid! I will keep you posted with the outcome.

Thanks again

GK

Im not 100% impressed with it. Garmin are aware that footpaths do not appear on the screen of the devices, but are apparently working on a firmware update that will enable this. They hope it may be soon, but can't give any date.

I just can't understand how a big company like Garmin can release software they know doesn't work properly, relying on users to wait and download a patch at a later date.

Oh well, I'll keep you posted as and when they get their act together. Don't hold your breath!

Edited by Geo-Kate

Last weekend I had chance to do a direct comparison between a GPS60CSx with Garmin Topo maps loaded and my old Legend with MapSource maps loaded. There was nothing in it as far as roads go and OK, the Topo maps are a bit 'light' on footpath information but where the difference really showed up was in the location of rivers. One of the caches we did was on a river bank and we had a choice of which side to walk the last 1/4 of a mile or so. The map on my Legend showed it on one side of the river and normally, I would have taken that path but the Topo maps showed it on the other and that was the path we followed... straight to the cache which saved me an extra 1/2 mile walk. In my opinion, the Topo maps are worth the money purely because of the accuracy of rivers, canals and such like stuff. Something that has always been very poor on 'ordinary' MapSource products.

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you out there has got the above mapping on their garmin GPSrs...

I have bought it (it's not cheap) and downloaded it onto my GPSmap 60C but footpaths are not shown on the unit.

I have referenced it to the maps on the compter in mapsource, and the paths are there, but they do not appear on my device. Strangely enough though, if you put the cursor where a path should be, the word 'path' appears on the screen. :laughing: So is it there but just invisible? Detail is set to most, and declutter is not on.

Thanks

GK

Just wanted to ask if zooming in had any affect on showing the paths?

Geoff

Edited by Geoff & Bonnie

Hello,

I have referenced it to the maps on the compter in mapsource, and the paths are there, but they do not appear on my device. Strangely enough though, if you put the cursor where a path should be, the word 'path' appears on the screen. :laughing: So is it there but just invisible? Detail is set to most, and declutter is not on.

Thanks

GK

Just wanted to ask if zooming in had any affect on showing the paths?

Geoff

No, I have tried all zoom levels, well into the 'overzoom' where you are zoomed in too far. It makes no difference. I just have to wait until garmin get their act together and get the update out which will let the paths become visible on the devices!

Edited by Geo-Kate

Last weekend I had chance to do a direct comparison between a GPS60CSx with Garmin Topo maps loaded and my old Legend with MapSource maps loaded. There was nothing in it as far as roads go and OK, the Topo maps are a bit 'light' on footpath information but where the difference really showed up was in the location of rivers. One of the caches we did was on a river bank and we had a choice of which side to walk the last 1/4 of a mile or so. The map on my Legend showed it on one side of the river and normally, I would have taken that path but the Topo maps showed it on the other and that was the path we followed... straight to the cache which saved me an extra 1/2 mile walk. In my opinion, the Topo maps are worth the money purely because of the accuracy of rivers, canals and such like stuff. Something that has always been very poor on 'ordinary' MapSource products.

Fact ...

I concur with the accuracy as I was out with Pharisee at the time.

Opinion ...

As for Pharisee's 'worth the money' statement - I have to add that as I don't travel any where near as far as he does nor do I have the caching experience that he has I am not in a position to comment as to its 'value' for others but for me I'd give it a miss - too expensive.

Fact ...

I concur with the accuracy as I was out with Pharisee at the time.

Opinion ...

As for Pharisee's 'worth the money' statement - I have to add that as I don't travel any where near as far as he does nor do I have the caching experience that he has I am not in a position to comment as to its 'value' for others but for me I'd give it a miss - too expensive.

Just clarify my 'worth the money' statement..... If I were to buy a new GPSr that could make use of the routing facilty (GPS60CSx for instance) and had to buy new mapping software to go with it then I'd probably buy the Topo package. If, however, I already had suitable routing software like City Select, I wouldn't go out and buy the Topo software as well :P

Garmin have released software version 2.60 for the 60CSx which specifically mentions a patch for footpaths on GB Topo. I've loaded it and was able to find a path on mine, although it certainly doesn't list them all around here.

I saw that update on the Garmin site. There is a beta software version for the 60c I am running now. It shows maybe half of the footpaths in black, but the other half in white. Quite randomly by the looks of it. A white path on a pale yellow background is virtually impossible to see! Garmin are aware and the proper update was supposed to be out by this weekend. It isn't.

Oh, on a related matter, since installing Topo GB (or the update) my address search does not work anymore. Is yours still working, Wombles?

GK

Oh, on a related matter, since installing Topo GB (or the update) my address search does not work anymore. Is yours still working, Wombles?

GK

Kate, yes the address facility works on my Topo / s/w2.60 The paths I've found have been coloured green although the paths displayed are a very small % of the total shown on my Explorer maps.

I also concur with Pharisee/Hi-Tek's comments about the increased accuracy and detail of Topo - very good. Not perfect, but very good.

GK

Kate, yes the address facility works on my Topo / s/w2.60 The paths I've found have been coloured green although the paths displayed are a very small % of the total shown on my Explorer maps.

I also concur with Pharisee/Hi-Tek's comments about the increased accuracy and detail of Topo - very good. Not perfect, but very good.

OK, have installed the latest beta software for my map60c and I can now see footpaths! Some are black, some are green. Some seem to start and stop randomly, and some, like some cycle lanes I know, appear in the midddle of nowhere and only last a few feet!

Address search function still not working, it only says, 'No match found' in the city input feild, almost as though it has no database to reference to.

I am very impressed with the detail on the maps, the flipside of this is that the maps take MUCH longer to render on screen now :laughing:

OK, have installed the latest beta software for my map60c and I can now see footpaths! Some are black, some are green. Some seem to start and stop randomly, and some, like some cycle lanes I know, appear in the midddle of nowhere and only last a few feet!

Hi Geo-Kate,

I've just received the following email from Garmin. Is this the same firmware update?

Garmin is pleased to announce that beta software is available for the GPSMAP 60CS.

Changes made from version 4.05 to 4.06:

* Adds drawing of dark green paths in Topo Great Britain maps.

* Improves appearance of certain map labels.

* Properly preserves geocache symbols as assigned in previous software versions.

* Sounds anchor drag alarm until reset by the user rather than sounding just a single tone.

* Shows proper units when reviewing depth contours on the map page.

Hi Geo-Kate,

I've just received the following email from Garmin. Is this the same firmware update?

Garmin is pleased to announce that beta software is available for the GPSMAP 60CS.

Changes made from version 4.05 to 4.06:

* Adds drawing of dark green paths in Topo Great Britain maps.

* Improves appearance of certain map labels.

* Properly preserves geocache symbols as assigned in previous software versions.

* Sounds anchor drag alarm until reset by the user rather than sounding just a single tone.

* Shows proper units when reviewing depth contours on the map page.

Yeah, the update I refered to is the same one you have kindly informed me of, thanks. It's true, all the paths on the DVD you can see on the computer do now appear on the unit, too.

I just need to call Garmin again now and find out why the address earch does not work anymore...

Would agree with above that the river and stream data is very accurate but the footpaths do leave something to be desired. Address lookup does not work on my 60Cx either which is a bit of a pain. Don't think post code search is supported as you would not then have to buy City Navigator!