Google Earth Data

Kyleoconnell

Which account are you talking about. I don't see anything for google earth.

On the Geocaching.com site.

HOLY HELL, where on earth was I when this came out and why don't they TELL you this stuff on the front page?? I've been sitting here writing perl scripts and scp'ing files to my linux box since GPS babel is giving me applescript errors. This plugin takes Geocaching to an entirely new level of ease, especially for we neglected Mac users!

Edited by lullabud

HOLY HELL, where on earth was I when this came out and why don't they TELL you this stuff on the front page?? I've been sitting here writing perl scripts and scp'ing files to my linux box since GPS babel is giving me applescript errors. This plugin takes Geocaching to an entirely new level of ease, especially for we neglected Mac users!

I take that back. Working with a GPS on the Mac is still an infuriating experience. *sigh* Insanely frustrating...

Edited by lullabud
... I've been sitting here writing perl scripts and scp'ing files to my linux box since GPS babel is giving me applescript errors. ... Working with a GPS on the Mac is still an infuriating experience...
Maybe you're trying too hard :)

I have AppleScripts set up as folder actions that let me save any data out of Google Earth directly to my GPS (and vice versa). I mentioned it recently, in this thread. I also have the Geocaching layer installed in my Mac copy of Google Earth so I can save caches out the same way.

My scripts are set up specifically to work with Lowrancve's USR format, but shouldn't be very difficult to modify them for any format that GPSBabel supports. Drop me an email if you'd like to give these a try.

-Lee

lee.rimar@gmail.com

:)

you got that rite! wow! now I don't have to d/l .loc files, run thru babel & THEN open in GoogleEarth....how did I miss this too?

VERY cool....

why the wacky 200 view/day limit?

are there any other limits?

thanks for the heads up on this one!

M

Edited by frelancr

Has the geocache browser been fixed to put the cache icons in the correct spot? When this feature appeared every cache location was randomly obfuscated so most would show up in the wrong location if you zoomed in. Since the gpx files load directly into GE, and these do position the caches correctly, I found the dynamic tool not particularly useful.

Has the geocache browser been fixed to put the cache icons in the correct spot? When this feature appeared every cache location was randomly obfuscated so most would show up in the wrong location if you zoomed in. Since the gpx files load directly into GE, and these do position the caches correctly, I found the dynamic tool not particularly useful.

it's useful to me as a non-premium member to be able to pick a spot & quickly see what caches are around....especially with the panning & zooming & quick click to the cache page

I wouldn't use it for specific data, necessarily, but to just be able to se what's in a particular neck of the woods is really cool...

M

I don't think it'll ever be "fixed" since I'm assuming that's how they want it. See, member caches are also included in the results, so if they gave you the exact location you could circumvent membership requirements to find member-only caches. This randomization of proximity to the actual cache site is put in there on purpose.

This thread is all over the place.

Earth4 - including the Mac version - works very well with PQs, will read them directly and will include accurate coord data. (Earth doesn't REQUIRE you running it through GPSBabel; it does it on its own in most cases.)

The network KML from this site "randomizes" the data in the way described to prevent people from using the coords in a way this site deems unfit for "their" data - but that's not an Earth thing, that's a Groundspeak thing.

I don't think it'll ever be "fixed" since I'm assuming that's how they want it. See, member caches are also included in the results, so if they gave you the exact location you could circumvent membership requirements to find member-only caches. This randomization of proximity to the actual cache site is put in there on purpose.

I read or heard somewhere, I think it was on a podcast (SLAGA or Podcacher I think), that Google Earth cannot be as accurate as Google maps. There was some kind of reason, but I don't remember what it is. If you're looking for "exact" placement of a cache, go to geocaching google maps.