Sock Puppets?

The Golem

Sorry to bring it up again, but does anyone else get the feeling that the forum is awash with sock puppets? :D

Don't worry, it's not a witch hunt just an observation - what do you think? :D

Can't say I had noticed any behavour which would make me think of sock puppets. Maybe you get people like me who read regularly but post irregularly.

on a slightly serious note...just my observation.... this constant raising/accusing of sock puppets may put newbies off and give the impression that this forum is a group of regular posters belonging to an elite clique of cachers who are suspicious of newcomers.

Having said that I'm pleased to say that the new cachers have received a great welcome, as did i on my first post!

:D

sock puppets?

My understanding is that someone who wanted to say something controversial would create an new account specifically to do the job, so that any repurcussions don't come back on them. Or so that the new account name can support an argument lead by the real account.

There's something called a troll that I don't know what is - someone will tell us I expect - what I said above might be a troll...

EDIT - I hadn't noticed any posts that raised my suspicions.

Edited by Kitty Hawk

There's something called a troll that I don't know what is - someone will tell us I expect - what I said above might be a troll...

A troll is (I think) someone who posts topics which initially look innocent, but are actually designed to raise an argument:

An example would be posting on a GPS forum: (Note, this is a ficticious example I've just made up).

"What's Magellan's warranty service like? I've scratched the screen of my magellan, and they've said they'll only repair it for a standard charge of £100!".

This is designed to elicit lots of responses similar to "£100!, Buy a Garmin, their service is legendary - they've just replaced my 20 year old GPS1 with a brand new top of the range GPS60csx because the token ring connector bent slightly"

Then the Magellan lovers fire up, and we end up with a flame war. (Fortunately, they're not all that common here compared to the general usenet)

Similar type messages on general IT are designed to produce a flamewar of Mac/Windows/Linux/OS2 proponents. (or Palm/PPC for PDAs)

Wikipedia have a definition and examples here

Having spent way too long in the past on the Rugby League message boards:-

A Troll is someone from a rival teams forum deliberately posting on the oppositions forum or indeed someone from your own band of supporters trolling on the oppositions board in a deliberate attempt to wind people up!

Not a sock puppet as such, as people generally do it under their own user name.

Now who would do a thing like that? B)

Bit like one of us lot posting negative remarks on the Waymarking forum...if they have one? :)

Cheers

Dave

Sorry to bring it up again, but does anyone else get the feeling that the forum is awash with sock puppets? :)

Don't worry, it's not a witch hunt just an observation - what do you think? :laughing:

Dangerous ground B) - I don't want to start accusing someone of being a sock puppet when they may not be, especially after the last time I did it, I still haven't recovered from that picture.... :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Leaves me puzzled about reason for the thread .

If there are any Sock Puppets on this forum that are intent on causing trouble, then I am sure they will come out in the wash :)B)

Darn it! Sock puppets causing trouble. Something's afoot, i hope they get instep and come to heel, even toe the line. :laughing:

Taxi for Hillhappy1

:laughing:

I'm a sock puppet and I've been around longer than most of you. :)

Yeah, but you sold out - you found a cache. :laughing::(

Only the one. I thought it would give me credibility. :P:rolleyes:

Forum credibility - maybe.

Amongst us puppets though...we all said "That someoneelse, he's becoming someone else" :blink:

Edited by Guest.

Whilst I have watched this thread develop with mild amusement I would point out that it IS against forum guidelines to create "Dummy" accounts, even if in jest. I would advise against it as I would have to (reluctantly) start investigating IP addresses in order to stop the abuse.

Know what I mean?!

So discuss Sock Puppets/Trolls by all means but PLEASE don't start creating any more.

Oh look who is talking :laughing: The bigest sock puppet in the UK :rolleyes:

roflmao

touche brian - i look forward to Mr L's response!

In all seriousness though, what would be the difference between an account created in jest for amusement on here, and one that is created specifically for placing some hidden caches - the cheshire series of caches by a secret cacher springs to mind - can't remember the name... Both are dummy accounts...

Dave

In all seriousness though, what would be the difference between an account created in jest for amusement on here, and one that is created specifically for placing some hidden caches - the cheshire series of caches by a secret cacher springs to mind - can't remember the name... Both are dummy accounts...

Dave

It's really a question of intent. I believe that Groundspeak's policy is no sock puppets - especially on the forums. I think this is intended to stop people from using their normal account for their normal discussions, and then having an anonymous sock puppet to use for contensious issues, such as trolling or flaming.

My opinion is that if someone is using a sock puppet for good intentions (such as Mutato Nomine or The Missing Cacher) like placing an anonymous cache, which adds to the puzzle factor, than that's not A Bad Thing, and should therefore be allowed / overlooked.

My opinion is that if someone is using a sock puppet for good intentions (such as Mutato Nomine or The Missing Cacher) like placing an anonymous cache, which adds to the puzzle factor, than that's not A Bad Thing, and should therefore be allowed / overlooked.

I would go further and suggest that these are not sock puppet accounts. They were set up for caching purposes and have been used as such.