Woo Hooo

wizard1974uk

Nice one!

I was the last person to do that very cache. Where did you park as I managed to get about a metre or so away from the cache itself?

I was about 60 metres from it, the GPS was going haywire for some reason, then went back to my car, decided to mark a waypoint where I'd parked and tried again after blundering around for 20 minutes, then when I was close enough I decided to look round then I noticed something and thought "Hang on that doesn't look natural" :laughing:

Great - things look very differently after dark.

It's the slippery slope now - I remember doing our first cache and that was it - we were hooked :laughing:.

I was about 60 metres from it, the GPS was going haywire for some reason, then went back to my car, decided to mark a waypoint where I'd parked and tried again after blundering around for 20 minutes, then when I was close enough I decided to look round then I noticed something and thought "Hang on that doesn't look natural" :lol:

Great - things look very differently after dark.

It's the slippery slope now - I remember doing our first cache and that was it - we were hooked :laughing:.

I was about 60 metres from it, the GPS was going haywire for some reason, then went back to my car, decided to mark a waypoint where I'd parked and tried again after blundering around for 20 minutes, then when I was close enough I decided to look round then I noticed something and thought "Hang on that doesn't look natural" :lol:

Just hope I've marked down the north co-ordinates properly for the Orange Wednesdays. :lol:

LOL - give me a shout if you are not sure as I've got them here.

I always take a photo of that kind of thing and save on my computer at home, filed by cache name so if I do not pick the series up for a while I have them saved. Means I don't need to carry around a notebook too :laughing:

Just hope I've marked down the north co-ordinates properly for the Orange Wednesdays. :lol:

I've just sent you a message :laughing:

LOL - give me a shout if you are not sure as I've got them here.

I always take a photo of that kind of thing and save on my computer at home, filed by cache name so if I do not pick the series up for a while I have them saved. Means I don't need to carry around a notebook too :lol:

It took Snerbe a whole 6 days on that one to get to it!! I even beat him

I got my first FTF at night this week..FTF

Now that was cold at 9.45 with the rain and the wind.

I haven't got many FTFs under my belt, but i don't know if i'll be willign to go out in the middle of the night in the rain and wind to bag one! I guess if it means beating a persistent FTF addict! :laughing:

Edited by Geo-Kate

All part of the fun as far as I'm concerned Geo-Kate. The race to get FTF (for those who like that kind of thing) is made all the more fun by knowing several other local cachers are almost certainly trying to do the same thing.

It's not a problem at all - whoever gets there first and finds the cache deserves a FTF on the cache - it's disappointing sometimes to race to a new cache only to see the usual name(s) in the logbook already but it makes it all the more special when you manage to bag a FTF yourself.

Coincidentally, I've just managed to bag 2 FTF's this morning and am delighted :D

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

Unfortunately, I haven't got time to go cacheing today :P

Got a little question, when you are within say 6 metres of the cache you are looking for, is it better to stop relying on your GPS and scout around for the cache? I made that mistake on this find, I was relying on the GPS all of time, when it would have been quicker for me to have a look around when I was really close.

Got a little question, when you are within say 6 metres of the cache you are looking for, is it better to stop relying on your GPS and scout around for the cache? I made that mistake on this find, I was relying on the GPS all of time, when it would have been quicker for me to have a look around when I was really close.

It really depends on how good the cache setter got the co-ords. As you won't actually know until you find the cache, then it is best that if it isn't totally obvious have a scout around. I generally rely on scouting around and allowing my GPS to settle and then use that as well.

After a while though you start to get an eye for possible hiding locations, and it's the more deviously hidden ones that you have to work for.

Got a little question, when you are within say 6 metres of the cache you are looking for, is it better to stop relying on your GPS and scout around for the cache?

Yes.

Look for two things:

Look for 'sign'. Look for a disturbed area and look for something which looks out of place such as a pile of stones which do not look as if they were placed there by normal geological processes. Look also for what looks like an unlit campfire. Sticks and twigs do not naturally accumulate in parallel fashion!

Secondly, if you really are having problems with your search, stop and ask yourself "where would I hide a cache in this vicinity?". That second technique has saved me several times from walking away from a difficult search and filing a DNF.

Cheers, The Forester