Gsak - Cachemate - Duplicate Files

I have registered GSAK and Cachemate. When I export files from GSAK to Cachemate, Cachemate has a few duplicate locations, sometimes 2-3 of same. I bet I am missing something ovious, ideas..??

Also, I am struggling to make additional data bases in Cachemate. I want to speed up near-by caches, etc...

Shouldn't I be able to export different data bases from GSAK..?? I have them listed on that program.

I have a Palm M130.

Is there a way to still use colors in Cachemate, but have the FOUND items, listed so I can see them..?? On my screen, they are there, but the color blends into screen color I guess...The way I do it now, is to BOOKMARK them, so even after I find them, they are red.

Thanks, SK

I have registered GSAK and Cachemate. When I export files from GSAK to Cachemate, Cachemate has a few duplicate locations, sometimes 2-3 of same. I bet I am missing something ovious, ideas..??

Also, I am struggling to make additional data bases in Cachemate. I want to speed up near-by caches, etc...

Shouldn't I be able to export different data bases from GSAK..?? I have them listed on that program.

I have a Palm M130.

Is there a way to still use colors in Cachemate, but have the FOUND items, listed so I can see them..?? On my screen, they are there, but the color blends into screen color I guess...The way I do it now, is to BOOKMARK them, so even after I find them, they are red.

Thanks, SK

Generally, what I do is delete all records from Cachemate before I sync up. Cachemate stores all records in the same database with categories (found, not found, benchmark, etc).

I keep several GSAK databases, like "Benchmarks", "Geocaches", "Riding" (I go caching on my motorcycle so I'll plan out my caching and put the waypoints I want in there). Once I've sorted out and filtered for the records I want- say, the first 200 nearest to a given point- I'll export the database to my GPS and then export to my Palm. I do the same with my Benchmarks database so I can do some benchmarking while I'm out too. I export that with a different name. Since my Palm doesn't actually load anything until I hotsync it, I have two files ready to go when I next sync it up.

When it syncs, and I open Cachemate, it asks me where I want to import each file- I tell it I want one to go under "Not Found" and another under "Benchmarks". When I'm ready for my next day's caching, I just clear out Cachemate and reload it from a new set of data via GSAK.

Clear as mud now? :laughing:

Edited by Cyclometh

As stated above, I export out of GSAK basically 4 files. Found, Not Found, Owned, and Benchmarks (most won't do the later). My DB is about 5000 records.

Before loading these files, I wipe out the CacheMate DB in my Treo, and then upload the files to a fresh DB. As each file comes up, I can put it in the correct category.

I had a similar problem, however it was in GSAK early in my use of it and Clyde and I could not find out what, but something was corrupting my GSAK DB to the point where I could not export a useable file to Cachemate. That was about 2 years ago and have not encountered it since.

Another advantage that Cachemate gives you is if for some reason CM starts acting up, you can wipe the DB clean and then just rescan the mem card or memory for the files and you are as up to date as you last import.

That should make it as least as clear as silt.

You can also create named databases in Cachemate. This allows you to use all of the catagories in each database, moving them from unfound to found within that database. For instance when we cache in Richmond I create a database in Cachemate "Richmond". Then when I HotSync it asks where to put the records from GSAK and I select the desired database, in this case Richmond. If I wanted a separate data base for Richmond Benchmarks that could be done, maybe "Richmond Bnchmks"

I also create different databases in Cachemate. I have about 800 caches in my "Default" database, in the "Not Found" folder, but for a recent trip to the desert, I created a new "Desert" database because I didn't want to mix those caches with the ones closer to home.

This weekend there is an Event cache about 60 miles from my home. I'll put the caches along that route and in the vicinity of the Event in yet another new database in Cachemate.

I also created a Found database in Cachemate. After I have logged the caches, I move them from the "Found" folder to the "Found" database. :D

I put the caches on the memory card on my Palm M500.

I also created a Found database in Cachemate. After I have logged the caches, I move them from the "Found" folder to the "Found" database. :D

Quick question, why all the databases, especially the found? You can create different categories and, in the case of the found, if you filter on that category you can select MARK ALL RECORDS IN THE CATEGORY FOUND so they are a different color.

Switching between the databases seems like mor work than necessary.

I also created a Found database in Cachemate. After I have logged the caches, I move them from the "Found" folder to the "Found" database. :)

Quick question, why all the databases, especially the found? You can create different categories and, in the case of the found, if you filter on that category you can select MARK ALL RECORDS IN THE CATEGORY FOUND so they are a different color.

Switching between the databases seems like mor work than necessary.

One reason for separate databases would be to shorten the time required for "nearest" searches. It can take quite a while to do the calculations on a slower palm no matter how you play with the options and if you're not interested in knowing how far you are from caches you've already found...

That said, it's still not clear why the OP is seeing duplicates. I am set up in a similar fashion to what he describes and haven't seen anything like what's being described.

When you say "duplicates", do you mean exact duplicates - same GC code and everything? I guess it would be useful to know how you are creating your Cachemate files when exporting. How many cachemate files are you creating, what are the codes you're using in the GSAK export dialog, etc. - that sort of thing.

While it may be desirable in some circumstances to overwrite the entire database as the other posters have said, it's not necessary. We don't replace ours on each download simply because we keep a lot of notes in the palm (e.g. multi's we've partially done, puzzles we've solved but not found yet, and details about dnf's that we'll try again later) and we don't want to lose that information.

I personally use the Palm M515, I used to run into this problem a lot.

First yes they were EXACT duplicates. What was happening was Cachemate was moving the FINDS to the Found category, then GSAK was importing it into the NOT Found Category, and wala 2 copies. I solved this by going into the CACHEMATE prefernces screen [/R] and UNCHECKING the "Preserve old item category". No more Dups, but now GSAK can change the categories at will (Dang another problem)

This one I solved by having GSAK use it's wonderful filters to filter thing into my 4 main categories (Found, Not Found, Archived, and Owned) and create a cachemate PDB for each of the four filters.

Now this is nice because if the name of the PDB EXACTLY matches the Cachemate category name it defaults to that category on the import (it also defaults to the last database you were in) for me this works perfect.

BTW I have a Benckmark category too that works the same way when I pull benchmarks.

Yeah Yeah .... the search is a little slower, but if you tell the search to filter by category and make sure you change to the category you want to search first it speeds things up alot.

I am sure this solution will not work for everyone, but it does for me

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback. Hope to digest more of that info soon.

BASIC question...HOW **DO** I make a NEW Database in Cachemate..?? Duh..??

The obvious to me is:

Go to Cachemate header-

OPTION - Select Database

"Default" with my 814 waypoints comes up....

Shouldn't I be able to hit NEW to create a new data base..?? That does NOT work...RENAME doesn't work either....hmmm...

I bet I am missing the obvious...thanks

SK

To create the new DB, Option=>Select DB, then enter the name of the new DB, then hit New.

Sounds easy enough. BUT, that does NOT work for me.

From the Caches listed screen...I can hit CACHEMATE, go to OPTION - select DATABASE...Then nothing works for me...If I hit NEW, it highlights in BLUE, but won't make a NEW data base. If I hit REN it highlights, but won't let me rename, if I try to write anything it won't work, or if I try to bring up the "abc" keyboard in lower left of stylus area...nothing....

Sounds easy enough. BUT, that does NOT work for me.

From the Caches listed screen...I can hit CACHEMATE, go to OPTION - select DATABASE...Then nothing works for me...If I hit NEW, it highlights in BLUE, but won't make a NEW data base. If I hit REN it highlights, but won't let me rename, if I try to write anything it won't work, or if I try to bring up the "abc" keyboard in lower left of stylus area...nothing....

After hitting Select DB you should have a window, with a small window inside with a list (probably only one item, "Default") of DBs. Under this should be a line with the name of the highlighted DB from the small window (again, probably "Default") with a line of dots under it. Below this are the Done New Ren Del Clr buttons. It on this line of dots that you need to enter the name BEFORE you hit new. Use your stylus to highlight the "Default" (or whatever it is) and then write in the name. THEN hit New. Does that work?

This is assuming you are using a Palm. If you're using the new PPC version, it's probably different. Not having one, I can't help with them.