Banned Members You'd Love To Bring Back

J5.

Interesting, it seems you cannot search for a member who has been banned. :laughing::lol:

Dan is a nice guy who seems to enjoy drama. Nothing wrong with that. I'd like to see him return too.

I lurk his site (the sandbox at gocaching.com) occasionally, but I don't agree with or partake in some of the mean spirited disrespect that happens there. I hafta admit though, that it is sometimes a guilty pleasure to see some of the more annoying forum personalities get ripped to shredds there.

I freakin' loved the doghouse.

Edited by Snoogans

Bring back sept1c_tank! :laughing:

He was who I had in mind when I started the topic. Yeah, I know he's not banned, but heck maybe we should ban him just so we can bring him back and have a beer or to to celebrate. :lol:

Nice to know I'm in your thoughts! :lol: Has anyone ever been banned and actually allowed back, or is it a one way street? :lol::lol:

I can't say that I miss any of them specifically. I do however miss the entertaining forum suicides that occasionally precipitated their demise.

The TJ Wilson/Rex Gordon/xyzabc forum suicide was entertaining. What was most entertaining were what's on the links that no longer work. :laughing::lol:

Duane's many forum suicides were just sad. I actually felt sorry for him. :lol:

He seems to behave himself on terracaching.com. :lol:

So what I'm not getting is, how did these people get banned? Did they say the "F" word or something? Post nude pix of themselves (Mitsuko maybe? :D ) It appears that one of them "dissed" Jeremy but I'm curious about the others......

Usually consistent disrespect. Creating sock-puppet accounts and ranting off can get your legitimate username banned as well.

Duane changed his username to something else :D

But wasn't it the upinyachit account that got banned? I thought that when you were banned you couldn't access your account (as well as the forums). Or did he change his username before he was banned? Or maybe he's just banned from the forums but not geocaching.com. :D:D

He changed, then got banned again. I think his new name is Bronchoholics, but I don't think I spelled it right.

sept1c_tank

A forum ban is often separate from an account ban though both can happen.

hairymon, the reasons vary. Sockpuppets are an automatic ban at least if they suddenly find their pot stirring political voice. Others it's obviouse why they got banned they are so foul and obnoxious. People who come to troll and only to troll are often banned. There are other reasons I've seen. Mostly though bannings happen in silenece.

Edited by Renegade Knight

So what I'm not getting is, how did these people get banned? Did they say the "F" word or something? Post nude pix of themselves (Mitsuko maybe? :D ) It appears that one of them "dissed" Jeremy but I'm curious about the others......

A constant pattern of disrespect for others will get you banned. This includes personal attacks, spamming the board, foul language, commercial postings and repeated off topic posts.

It actually takes some work to get banned. You usually are warned, sometimes several times depending on the severity of your violations. Then you get hit with a temporary ban of a few days or weeks. If you continue your behavior when you return then you can get banned permanently. Lets just say those who were permanantly banned earned it.

Sometimes the banned members create sock puppets to get back on the board, but they are usually spotted right away because they continue the behavior that got them banned in the first place.

Mitsuko was a sock puppet had alot of us believing that the picture earlier in this thread was the actual account holder. In reality its just a picture of a Japanese car model someone pulled off the internet.

Bet it was a guy with too much time on his hands. Back when I was in college a lot of people would go on forums pretending to be "hot babes" looking for someone just to see the response and laugh at how gullible people are.

Was it se7en(?), that had the profile that would load then 'overwrite' the screen so you couldn't see their profile. That was interesting to see.

No, SE7EN is the sock puppet of a prolific poster and neither this or the primary account has been banned. The sock puppet was specifically created to post cache ideas without giving it away to the locals. The profile thing was just harmless play, though it highlighted a serious security flaw in the site which has since been closed.

I'd love to see Boblog be allowed back. :)

That thread is funny as HECK! B):laughing::laughing: I noticed though, that Jeremy closed it with "There must be something in the water in Mercerville, NJ", but the profile (or the posts) didnt mention his location, which is odd.

I've not figured it out--not that I've given it much thought--but there is tracking of users involved. This is well beyond user accounts or IP's. Not to make anyone paranoid or anything.

All right, you finally talked me into it! I looked!

BobLog

post Jul 12 2002, 05:04 PM

I thought of a great idea for a cach an I was wondering what every one else thoght of it. When my grandfather died, we threw away all kinds of medicine, perfectly good stuff, probaly worth thousand of dollars. heart medicine like zanax, and all kinds of other stuff. Full bottles like new. What a waist! Poor people can use this without paying so much money to the pharmaceys. I was thinking of making a cache called Bobs Pharmacey and filling it with old (not really old) medicine. anti biotics heart pills what have you. People can bring medicine they dont need no more an take what the do need. This stuff is very expansive and its a shame to waist it when others can use it. I dont think it is against the law beacuse a doctor alreay proscribed it and its in the medicine bottle. This would be great for poor people an old people without money an anyone who has old medicine they dont need anymore or never used that the doctor proscribed or if they just need some medicine.

it would be great if you get cut on the way to find the cache or have a sore throat an there is a bottle of anti biotics there for you, no

That's a CLASSIC! :) Can we bronze it, or somethin'?

Was it se7en(?), that had the profile that would load then 'overwrite' the screen so you couldn't see their profile. That was interesting to see. I'm glad they got banned. :)

No, SE7EN is the sock puppet of a prolific poster and neither this or the primary account has been banned. The sock puppet was specifically created to post cache ideas without giving it away to the locals. The profile thing was just harmless play, though it highlighted a serious security flaw in the site which has since been closed.

It was still interesting to see B) .

Mitsuko was a sock puppet had alot of us believing that the picture earlier in this thread was the actual account holder. In reality its just a picture of a Japanese car model someone pulled off the internet.

Bet it was a guy with too much time on his hands.

Ya think?

The details are here.

I have to say, I didn't fall for it, and for one good reason. One picture of Mitsuko showed her sitting in front of a window holding a puppy. The curtains in front of the window were a brilliant white. There's no way a geocacher could get anything that clean! :)

Bret

I'm back from my recent ban.

Too bad nobody said they wanted *me* back... B)

I was banned for needing to find a new roommate for my 2BR apt in Boston (still looking!), meeting some work quotas, getting my papers published so that I can write my PhD, fixing 3 different computers in the past week, and taking care of some personal matters.

It was a voluntary ban and I'm glad it's over. :)

I admit I have a sweet spot for MadMarty even if he actually was someone else first. Since I've only been around a year, he was my first sock puppet (and I compare all others to him). Because of him I learned The Llama song, which drives my family crazy. What more could I ask for?

I did read BobLog this morning and had quite a laugh. We need more good sock puppets.

Dawn

B) Yikes edited to add the word 'read' to the last sentence. :)

Edited by Team Red Oak