Coin Binders...?

Snowwolf75

Hi!

I've found that the caching place has some great ones that are hard cover and great strong pages. I had one that was plastic 3 ring binder with plastic pages and it really stunk - the coins fell out and wound up all over the floor.

I can't post their URL here, but you could probabally google for them and find it.

~Rose

Hi!

I've found that the caching place has some great ones that are hard cover and great strong pages. I had one that was plastic 3 ring binder with plastic pages and it really stunk - the coins fell out and wound up all over the floor.

I can't post their URL here, but you could probabally google for them and find it.

~Rose

Does anyone have a good source for coin binders, preferably ones that will fit the greatest percentage of coins (alot seem to be 1.5" big)? I don't need anything big right now, prolly 50 will do. If I get more down the road, I might need to upgrade then.

For the binders themselves, go to your local Office Depot, Staples, etc, and buy the Avery Frame Presentation binder. This is a 1" binder

This binder has "D" shaped rings, and a spring loaded release, so the rings won't open by accident. Plus, as an added bonus, it has a pocket in the front that you can slip a design of your choice into! :laughing:

Then, you can buy the pocket sheets that hold 12 coins per sheet, and the holders to hold the coin. I know 1" sounds thin, but when it is full of coins, it is really heavy. I just started my third binder, which makes it easier to carry, and then more people can look at the coins at once...

Really cool idea. I will have to try something like it myself. I have a couple coins, and got some round plastic coin holders the other day. Some of the coins are too thick, some too wide, some even to small. This way you can make your own size. That would be great for the personal coins that are different shapes. A truly great idea!

Got mine at Staples and really like it. Checked Target and the quality just wasn't near as good as the one from Staples. Be aware if you go to Staples, they have 2 similar binders. One has one set of large rings, the other has 2 sets of smaller rings.

:D

I actually use double ring binders for my collections, but I have some hard plastic inserts I use. Unless you have the same thing, I recommend going with the single ring binders.

DoubleBinder.jpg

You can see the slight damage that started to occur on my binder before I got the hard plastic inserts in place.

I just found out that the foam that I use in my binder design is on sale at Michaels right now... its about $0.34 a sheet right now.

COOL! I'll check them out on my lunch break tomorrow and pick me up a big hand full! :D

Got lot's of new coins in the past month & haven't added them to my binder yet. Been wanting to redo it and do the full page seperators like on your presentation, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Since I won't be out doing any caching this weekend, this sounds like a project to get done!! :D

Mrs. Grid & two of her friends have plans that don't include husbands or kids. Since she's driving and taking our only vehicle, I get to stay home and babysit my daughter and the other 3 brats.. uh ;) I mean "loving children" :D

PRAY FOR ME!!

:D

D-man ;)

I need an arrow pointing me to a page I saw awhile back describing the differences in PVC, Vinyl, and other coin carrying information. I have searched high and low but cannot find it again. :)

My collection has grown rapidly and its time to get organized. I don't think I want to go the route of cutting foam for all these, just sounds like many hours of cutting that I could be caching. :)

OK, i found some info and now am curious. Anyone having issues with PVC pages degrading and damaging coins?

Edited by mudsneaker

It was a project that got a veryslow start, but I finally got the ball rolling. Now I'm just a few coins short of getting surrounds for all of them. Actually, I do still need a handle on the thing, but that's not too important.

Thanks to Jake of Team A.I. for the initial instructions.

FolderOutside.jpg

FolderInside.jpg

Okay, I've gone with Team A.I.'s system, and it works very nicely, but the one problem I'm running into is that some coins have a tendency to shift out of their foam cocoon. Any remedy for this?

Mine are fairly tight.. so far. I used the coin itself for the outline in most cases, angling the knife in a bit so the hole is slightly smaller than the coin.

Okay, I've gone with Team A.I.'s system, and it works very nicely, but the one problem I'm running into is that some coins have a tendency to shift out of their foam cocoon. Any remedy for this?

The best way to cut the foam is to use a compass cutter. There is a link to where you can buy them on the webpage I created that shows how to make the binders. (A link to it is in my sig if you need it.)

I generally will cut the hole slightly smaller than the coin so they fit tight. this has worked great except for a very small number of coins. even the non circular coins will stay in place as long as you make your foam insert large enough to stay ridged in the pocket. The only coin that I have a real problem with is the Washington 05's. The edge is slightly rounded towards one face and the foam has a hard time keeping it in place.

I also store my binders with the spine up. this lets the weight of the coin pages rest equally on the three rings. I also added pages of full sheet foam inserts that I place in between each page of coins. This help to keep the coins from rubbing together... and can help you evenly turn the pages of coins with support behind the entire page.

I'm still trying to figure out how to place my puzzle coins into a page... I'm thinking of putting them interlocked into a full page insert, but I have to figure out how to hold them in place on a page that size.

I'm still trying to figure out how to place my puzzle coins into a page... I'm thinking of putting them interlocked into a full page insert, but I have to figure out how to hold them in place on a page that size.

I've got my pieces in seperate inserts in neighboring pockets.