Decoys

piscatore

I agree with BillsBayou...as long as the coords are good, decoys are fair game. I have a cache that does not have decoys as such, but has multiple containers, all with logbooks and trade items, within 10 feet of the given coordinates. Finders do not know that they are finding one of many containers, but I know which one they have found from their online log. :laughing:

jamie

There is a Multi/puzzle near us:

Ice Age Millionare 1/3

Done in the form of 'who wants to be a millionare' each stage is multiple choice with a set of coordinates for each answer, there are caches hidden at ALL the answers, the wrong answers are done up with things like 'poll the audience' or '50/50' etc. They are all similar in size to the correct containers.

I say that as long as you put a note in the decoys telling someone that it isn't the one and to try again it would be fine.

I agree with BillsBayou...as long as the coords are good, decoys are fair game. I have a cache that does not have decoys as such, but has multiple containers, all with logbooks and trade items, within 10 feet of the given coordinates. Finders do not know that they are finding one of many containers, but I know which one they have found from their online log. :laughing:

jamie

I'll bet that would throw off some TB/coin hunters :lol:

It depends on the alleged intent of the decoys.

So far, all the decoys I've found had notes inside telling the cacher it's a decoy, "so keep looking." Not sure if that's considered unethical, but for me, that's OK.

I don't know of any caches that are meant to maliciously deceive people into logging their finds, so the owner can dispute it and delete it. I doubt those will remain listed for long. THAT would be "unethical" if you want an example.

...Maybe there's even a way to play "Warmer and Colder" with the notes.

That would be a nice variation of the decoy game.

I tried that once after many finders were having difficulty with one of my caches. The decoys were hidden where the finders had reported searching, and gave a nudge towards the right place to look. But then I got complaints that the nudge was too cryptic. Those complainers would likely say that I was "unethical" although I disagree with that. I was trying to be helpful and also have a little fun. One person even signed the hint sheet in the decoy! Eventually I wound up removing the three decoys and returning the cache to how it was originally designed. It's worked OK since then.

Let's not confuse using decoys as a cache (which I have seen here and elsewhere) with teasers as they are called in these parts. Teasers can be both fun and frustrating, it's really up to you (and the frequency in which they are used :laughing: ) I'd much rather find a teaser in the field than decrypt the hint only to read "nope no hint for you". That habit is just plain mean and stupid IMHO.

Decoys make fine cache containers, and they do not all have to be in the water either. :lol:

You know the advice that we give new cachers about looking for an "unnatural or unusual pile of sticks in the woods"?

I found one, no!-- two, no!--make that ten or so unusual brush piles around the bases of trees near a cache! I laughed myself silly (after I found the right unnatural pile, that is). Ethical? Sure. Funny, too.

I think decoys can add an element of fun to the hunt. At one Anchorage cache, I was certain I had found the microcache cigar tube. I opened the tube and found a note which read "close, but no cigar!" I cussed the cache hider, ran to the airport, logged a DNF and returned next trip to find the real cache. In Tucson, I worked on a multicache which featured rocks painted gold on the bottom with the words "not here...keep looking!" At least I knew I was in the right area in both instances. In Edmonton, I found a cache that was surrounded by UPSs which kept me busy for awhile, especially since the cache page requested that all decoys be reset. What fun in the rapidly falling dusk!

Edited by Ladybug Kids

This gives me an idea. What if the decoy is actually the cache?

New, they're a bit expensive, but a used one well hidden and tethered in a marsh might make a ducky container! :D:D

bluewingteallargeview.jpg

LOL. They are not too expensive. I have a multi in which one stage is a decoy duck. The first placement was a CITO item which broke loose from the tether, to replace it I had to buy a dozen for $16 (2 diff styles!) After using a few for "lawn art" I still have 8 left. Anyone want one? Send me an e-mail(and postage) :D

In 2 other caches I have hidden hints in 35mm containers near the caches. I didnt want any DNFs, but I didnt want it to be too easy either. Everyone who has found the hints, or decoys, that I have spoken to, has said that the hints made the hunt more enjoyable.

This gives me an idea. What if the decoy is actually the cache?

New, they're a bit expensive, but a used one well hidden and tethered in a marsh might make a ducky container! B):)

bluewingteallargeview.jpg

There is one that I know of where the real cache appears to be a decoy. The container has a false bottom and there is a note inside that says to read the clue again. The clue is realtively cryptic so most assume as I did on trip #1, that they have found a decoy.