Encroachment: 528 Feet For Leg Of Multi?

Mr Smiles

Generally, the answer is "no, unless the existing cache is a virtual or webcam cache." See this post in the Frequently Asked Questions thread, over in the "Getting Started" Forum, where the cache saturation guideline is summarized.

Since you say it's an existing physical cache, your only hope would be the "top and bottom of a cliff" or "left and right bank of an uncrossable river" exceptions.

Edited by Keystone

Last weekend, while searching for a cache, we accidently found stage 2 of a multi very close to the cache we were searching for. On the cache page, the owner of the regular cache states their cache is close to stage 2 of a multi and they didn't know it when they planted their cache.

We never went back for stage 1, we'll just find stage 3. Does that mean we will only get 2/3 of a smiley?

I had the same situation come up in placing a multi in an already "cached" park. The short answer is no, all parts of the multi have to be >0.1 mi from another cache, but usually it is ok if they are closer to each other (ie other parts of the same multi) or at least that is how our reviewer seems to see it. When I confronted this I was disappointed at first, but ultimately found a way to move one of the parts of the multi a little farther away that worked out equally well creatively while not breaking the rules.

Generally, the answer is "no, unless the existing cache is a virtual or webcam cache." See this post in the Frequently Asked Questions thread, over in the "Getting Started" Forum, where the cache saturation guideline is summarized.

Since you say it's an existing physical cache, your only hope would be the "top and bottom of a cliff" or "left and right bank of an uncrossable river" exceptions.

What about inside and outside a building?

It depends. Does the building not have doors within several hundred feet of the outside cache? Is the indoor cache on the observation deck of a skyscraper? You would need to make a case for this to the reviewer based on the unique setting of the caches. Generally you would face an uphill battle. I recall saying no to a cache in a town square across the street from a library that had a cache inside it. It is pretty easy to walk out the front door of the library and cross the street.

Last weekend, while searching for a cache, we accidently found stage 2 of a multi very close to the cache we were searching for. On the cache page, the owner of the regular cache states their cache is close to stage 2 of a multi and they didn't know it when they planted their cache.

We never went back for stage 1, we'll just find stage 3. Does that mean we will only get 2/3 of a smiley?

I had the same experience as rnlorna a couple of weeks ago. The leg of the multi I accidentally found had a note in it stating that this was not cache XXXX, but XXXX was nearby.

Clear enough, keep looking.

It depends. Does the building not have doors within several hundred feet of the outside cache? Is the indoor cache on the observation deck of a skyscraper? You would need to make a case for this to the reviewer based on the unique setting of the caches. Generally you would face an uphill battle. I recall saying no to a cache in a town square across the street from a library that had a cache inside it. It is pretty easy to walk out the front door of the library and cross the street.

Thanks! You've just revived one of my old ideas that I gave up on...