Cumbrian Caching Event - Working Title!

The Golem

My favourite campsite is at Hollows Farm at Grange in Borrowdale, it's a bit basic but has one of the nicest locations. It's about 4 or 5 miles from the pub, it's the fifth one down on Mancunian Pyrocacher's list. :cute:

Edited to add: It does have a field set aside specifically for groups, the nearest pub is the Scafell at Rosthwaite about a mile and a half away, from experience they allow dogs and children but kids have to be out by 9pm.

There are other campsites closer to the Swinside but they're a bit soulless... :D

Hollows Farm Campsite

Edited by The Golem

My favourite campsite is at Hollows Farm at Grange in Borrowdale, it's a bit basic but has one of the nicest locations. It's about 4 or 5 miles from the pub, it's the fifth one down on Mancunian Pyrocacher's list. :cute:

Edited to add: It does have a field set aside specifically for groups, the nearest pub is the Scafell at Rosthwaite about a mile and a half away, from experience they allow dogs and children but kids have to be out by 9pm.

There are other campsites closer to the Swinside but they're a bit soulless... :D

Hollows Farm Campsite

Having had a quick look at the site, I noticed that it does not take caravans :cute: . If your going to make this into a camping event, there are some cachers who would wish to bring their caravans.

Dave

There is a dedicated caravan site about a mile and a half away at Low Manesty, perhaps the caravaners could set up there... :cute:

Low Manesty Caravan Park

An alternative would be Castlerigg Hall where I believe the Carry on Caching event was last year, there's also the Camping and Caravaning club site at the top end of the lake...

If any caravaning cachers could let me know if they plan to attend I'll try and help... :D

Edited by The Golem

This sounds like another grand weekend caching expedition for me. Before I call the Keswick Tourist Information line can anyone recommend a B&B nearby that I can leave the car at and walk to/from the event as well as the local caches? Also is the ferry a practical way to get to and from the event?

Aren't you going to pitch a tent? :laughing:

You could make use of the launch to get to the event (I used to go to work on it before we moved to Braithwaite) but that would really only apply if you were staying in Keswick town centre. There are about 7 or 8 stops around the lake, the nearest one to the Swinside is Hawes End which is about a fifteen minute walk.

With regard to a B&B, the pub is quite isolated although there about 4 or 5 guest houses and pubs within a mile and a half radius.

You've got the Swinside Farmhouse (017687) 78363 (right across the road), Ellas Crag 78217, Uzzikar 78200, Little Town Farm 78353 and the Coledale Inn 78272.

Edited to add: I've just contacted the Swinside and there is apparently one room available for that weekend but it is liable to be booked very quickly.... :lol:

Edited by The Golem

I can think of two problems with pitching a tent, the first the putting it up bit, the other is the fact I don't actually own a tent. :lol:

Thank you for the help. I have taken the Monday off work to do some Cambrian caching and am booked in across the road on the Sunday night. I might stay somewhere else on the Saturday night but will probably drive direct as it should take less than 2 hours.

Such planning means that I can get completely sloshed on the Sunday, and if I am in a good mood I will have a second pint! :laughing::lol:

I can think of two problems with pitching a tent, the first the putting it up bit, the other is the fact I don't actually own a tent. :lol:

Thank you for the help. I have taken the Monday off work to do some Cambrian caching and am booked in across the road on the Sunday night. I might stay somewhere else on the Saturday night but will probably drive direct as it should take less than 2 hours.

Such planning means that I can get completely sloshed on the Sunday, and if I am in a good mood I will have a second pint! :laughing::lol:

Joke

Pitching a tent 10 minutes for the average person, owning a tent try here!

Edited by Moote

I'll be there all being well. Did you mention what time it was due to finish, as if I come it may be afternoon (2pm ish)by the time I get there?

I've no idea what time it's likely to finish, but I would imagine there will still be plenty of people there - if there's a big crowd it could take quite a while for everyone just to get their orders in, and I'm sure there are plenty of folk who will be propping the bar up... :D

I can think of two problems with pitching a tent, the first the putting it up bit, the other is the fact I don't actually own a tent. :huh:

I have a tent I'd be happy to lend to you. It's only a little 2 man tent but it does the job, and it's quite easy to put up :D

BUMP

I know a few people are interested in camping, would anyone have a preference as to which campsite they would like to stay on?

Edited to add a link to Camp sites around Keswick.

It would also be useful if anyone who is interested in coming along for a meal could give me an idea of numbers. :rolleyes:

Edited by The Golem

Okey Dokey!

I've double checked with Hollows Farm campsite and they've penciled us in but It would help if everyone could confirm numbers - I can't give them the information because I don't have it myself!! :D

There is an excellent group field which would be ideal - could everyone please let me know asap either via this thread, the event page itself or by PM if you'd prefer...

I'm so excited, who will I BUMP into? :laughing:

You might BUMP in to me. :D

Is it usual to create a cache just for the event? (I was thinking of doing three ^_^ )

Also, I'm sure I read something about them only going active on the day of the event - advice please! :D

You can create a cache for an event but can only have it listed if it will continue after it. Personally I believe if a cache is worth doing then it is worth keeping, but that's me. If you want a cache to go live on the day of the event then submit it a couple of weeks early and add a not to the reviewer. Looking at the calender I think we should consider our selves lucky to have very helpful reviewers.

On the subject of boats, I'll try and lay on a few canoes for anyone who wants to try for the cache on the island. The boat hire companies charge anywhere from £6 to £18 an hour so it should save anyone who's interested a bit of dosh... B)

I notice no one has replied to idea of paddling to st herbert's cache. I'd join you for a paddle, but you are cache owner so little value to you. where would be a free launching spot, for those with own kayak setting off for St Herbert's?

meanwhile about to put out some more Thomas west caches around Bassenthwaite Lake. In an area bereft of caches. Hopefully in time for Sunday :-) So check your computers last thing before leaving home.

The best place to launch is close to the Theatre by the Lake near a little privately owned boat house, there's ample parking nearby - just drive past the little National Trust shop on the lakeshore. An alternative is Kettlewell car park on the eastern lake shore, owned by the National Trust it get's busy and you have to pay a couple of quid for parking.

Unforchenetly I will be going and would like to apologise for my presence at the event. :)

I was speaking to your landlady to be on Monday night and I've already warned her about you!! :)

The lord only know what you told her about me then!

Right then - it would appear that there about 8 people who will be either camping or coming for the meal - is this a realisitic figure, or will there be loads of lurkers turn up who I'm not expecting? :laughing:

If you are coming and haven't let me know yet please do so asap - I need to confirm with the pub by Saturday at the latest... :ph34r: