Micro Containers

sobeboy58

I don't know what you consider cheap, but:

Largish micros. (Oxymoron?)

Check my personal site in my signature for some even smaller.

As has been said, film canisters you can get for free at nearly any photomart. I've gotten mine from the Walmart as they are convenient. Also, Wal-mart has match safes for under a buck.

I've seen pill safes at big-box pharmacies for a couple of bucks.

The problem, generally, with buying online is the shipping kills any prices savings unless you buy a bunch of them.

Waterproof match containers are great. Inexpensive (88 cents at Walmart), waterproof and large enough to hold a log and pencil stub. They are usually orange, but a little camo duct tape can take care of that problem. I've sometimes seen them in green as well. Just Google 'waterproof match box' and you'll find dozens of online sources for them.

wpmatchcont.jpg

Film canisters make lousy containers. I don't think I've ever found one where the contents were dry.

The Nalgene cryotubes that Wandering Bears mention are also good for log only micros. I've found them on Ebay. A bag of about 25 for 6 or 7 bucks. If you PM me your address, I can mail you a few.

I also like the bottle preforms that CR linked to. I have a cache in one.

Edited by Joy Division

Walmart sells dill pickles in plastic gallon jugs, which are, of course waterproof and large enough to

hold all kinds of things.. A little camo burlap or camo tape, and you have a great container.

I always hot glue a ring to the bottom and hot glue the camo bulap on. I attach a light chain or

aircraft cable on, and secure it to a tree. That way it doesnt walk off. hehehehe :D

Walmart sells dill pickles in plastic gallon jugs, which are, of course waterproof and large enough to

hold all kinds of things.. A little camo burlap or camo tape, and you have a great container.

I always hot glue a ring to the bottom and hot glue the camo bulap on. I attach a light chain or

aircraft cable on, and secure it to a tree. That way it doesnt walk off. hehehehe :)

My kind of micro! B)

I was bored at work the other day so I decided to test out a few Rx pill bottles. They worked great when submerged under water for a few hours and held up great under sprayed water from a garden hose. A little bit of paint and I think it would work perfect.

Another one that I just thought of but might be a little too hard would be Nitro bottle for Nitroglycerin (chest pain medicine, not the explosive). The ontly problem is that they only hold less than a tablespoon.

LCAS-271

Do you know a nurse? Ask them to get you some specimen cups. they are +- 2 3/4-3" tall X 2", clear plastic, blue top, and trust me, the are MEANT to be waterproof. I have one going out this weekend. Kinda large for a micro, but please!!!! Ask for NEW ones!!! :)

Dang it! I just threw away a whole bunch of those this weekend! I considered using them to place microcaches but I figured people might be grossed out by them...

Hmmm...maybe they are still in my trash can...

Waterproof match containers are great. Inexpensive (88 cents at Walmart), waterproof and large enough to hold a log and pencil stub. They are usually orange, but a little camo duct tape can take care of that problem. I've sometimes seen them in green as well. Just Google 'waterproof match box' and you'll find dozens of online sources for them.

wpmatchcont.jpg

Film canisters make lousy containers. I don't think I've ever found one where the contents were dry.

The Nalgene cryotubes that Wandering Bears mention are also good for log only micros. I've found them on Ebay. A bag of about 25 for 6 or 7 bucks. If you PM me your address, I can mail you a few.

I also like the bottle preforms that CR linked to. I have a cache in one.

You have to be careful with these though. The o-ring slips off really easy. Of the 4 micros we found this weekend in containers like the above, 2 were missing their o-rings. I was able to find and replace one o-ring, but the other was gone. The log was soaked in the second one.

There are containers that are quite popular with us here in Pennsylvania. They are called "Mr.Magnetos" You can find them for anywhere between 1-3 dollars. But if you know the secret you can actually get them for much cheaper, about 45 cents.

The Great Plains Geocache store sells them

here is a pic of what they look like

http://store.greatplainsgeocachestore.com/...gneto%20400.jpg

Do you know a nurse? Ask them to get you some specimen cups. [...]

Dang it! I just threw away a whole bunch of those this weekend! I considered using them to place microcaches but I figured people might be grossed out by them...

Hmmm...maybe they are still in my trash can...

If they weren't bad enough before, now they definitely will be...

I found a 12-pack of camo Easter eggs at Walmart, they seem to repel water pretty well. I'm not going to use them unless they pass more rigorous testing, though.

There are containers that are quite popular with us here in Pennsylvania. They are called "Mr.Magnetos" You can find them for anywhere between 1-3 dollars. But if you know the secret you can actually get them for much cheaper, about 45 cents.

So . . . are you going to share the secret or are you just teasing . . . ? :blink:

JohnTee

I just take home some nalgene cryotubes from the lab.

x2 :P

We have a range of handy sizes from 1mL to 3.5mL. I find the 3.5s allow a nice amount of space to write in the log. But a Dremal and some paint work wonders on them.

Have yet to place any of my prototypes yet though.

I've seen mention of using blood test strip containers if you know any diabetics.

The Great Plains Geocache store sells them

here is a pic of what they look like

http://store.greatplainsgeocachestore.com/...gneto%20400.jpg

I get mine off of ebay......the cheapest guy that sells them is (Assort-of-Stuff)

Heres a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TINY-Geocaching-Contai...1QQcmdZViewItem

So . . . are you going to share the secret or are you just teasing . . . ? ;)

JohnTee

google search: magnetic blinky

Hmmm. I'm one of those who are 'trying to make money selling them' (actually, I just started selling them as a sideline to the other items). I sent JohnTee a PM explaining what they are.

Hi sbell111,

I'm scratching my head over this PM . . . where did you send it or how do I get it? Didn't know I had PM capability! ;)

Happy geocaching!

JohnTee