Geocache Alaska

scobey

We recently formed a very informal organization known as GeoCache Alaska. Informal = no dues (yet), no formal structure. The most we've done to organize is select area representatives that Alaskans can contact with concerns and that can discuss Geocaching with land managers and others.

And WE HAVE A WEBPAGE!!!

For more details go to: www.geocachealaska.org

Feel free to leave comments to the contacts listed there.

Caching the Greatland One Cache at a time.

Good to see things getting organized again. Alaskacaching seemed to just stop some time ago.

Geocaching in Alaska never stopped. We are a cache rich environment with ingeneous caches in VERY scenic country. And typically Alaskan, we value our independence and individuality.

Saying that, I also understand your comment!

Thanks!

Vinegar Joe Stilwell is alive and well in your motto!!!

Many thanks in particular to Moun10bike and Erik88l-r who spent lots of time swapping e-mails with us regarding their experiences with statewide organizations. Also, thanks are due to all the geocaching organizations that have active websites from which we could shamelessly plagiarize organizing and content ideas. We'll be sure to add links to their sites as the GeocacheAlaska.org website continues to be developed.

Thanks, too, to Northwes, for his boundless enthusiasm and wonderful people skills which gave everyone who wanted to be heard a chance to be heard.

Kudos to Scobey for finally just taking the bull by the horns, landing a domain name, and posting the first few pages of content.

Thanks to Interior Alaska Cachers Pedal Pushin, Brad-and-Heather, Wanderer-AK, Poodlewoman, ArcticTracker, and the as of yet unnamed "HalCarol" team, Valdez Cachers Roscoe Pyle, Dennifer, and Hemmingway, and Southcentral Cachers Weizguyz, Eagle 618, Mommamouse, Northwes, Trove Rover, and Scobey for generously volunteering their time to get the fledging state geo-organization off the ground.

And finally, thanks to all the fine cachers throughout Alaska who attended the Event Caches, supported creation of the organization and keep placing caches in great places so the rest of us can continue to explore Alaska one cache at a time.

Be sure to check back at GeocacheAlaska!!! often as the site is growing rapidly. We welcome any ideas for content to help the site meet the needs of all Alaskan geocachers. We've already had more than 180 hits and we hadn't even announced that the site was live!

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Good looking page guys. Yea, will there be a forum? You can have a powerboard for free that is really handy and has no pop ups.

We may have a forum but not before we do some other tweeks to what we have now. Our main priority now is to get the site ready to sell the 2006 Alaska Geocoin.

Just wanted to introduce myself...

I am Wigi, of Wigi&Callie... we're relatively new to Geocaching, though we've known about it for quite a while and have been interested in doing it. Some of you have visited our two caches, and we really appreciate the comments.

We've had great fun placing our caches, and we have a few more caches planned. We're debating a caching expedition for the weekend.

Anyway, it's great to see how active everyone is here in Alaska.

Catch y'all on the trail...

Good to see you chiming in here, Wigi&Callie! AeroAK & I visited your caches 'Castor Canadensis' & 'A Few of our Favorite Things' earlier this week, late late at night... 'Things' was creepy after dark! :) This wasn't yourfavorite couch out there, was it? :) My my - what a nice green chenille upholstery...

4c0a6dbb-2c22-4086-90e1-c5dbf304d17f.jpg

Seriously - looking forward to meeting you soon - perhaps on the trail, or at one of our events. In any case, I'll be watching for more cache placements - we enjoyed finding these two, although I did need AeroAK's help at 'Things'...

Good to see you chiming in here, Wigi&Callie! AeroAK & I visited your caches 'Castor Canadensis' & 'A Few of our Favorite Things' earlier this week, late late at night... 'Things' was creepy after dark! :P This wasn't yourfavorite couch out there, was it? :ph34r: My my - what a nice green chenille upholstery...

4c0a6dbb-2c22-4086-90e1-c5dbf304d17f.jpg

Seriously - looking forward to meeting you soon - perhaps on the trail, or at one of our events. In any case, I'll be watching for more cache placements - we enjoyed finding these two, although I did need AeroAK's help at 'Things'...

I didn't see that couch out there. I should have looked more closely!

When we placed that cache, it was getting late, and we just stumbled upon the spot.

See y'all soon!

Anyone know who the AK cacher was that was here visiting last weekend and went out to Whidbey Island?

Sorry Allanon, I seldom have a spare moment to amble through the forums, but...

Dunno 'bout Whidbey, but I believe you may mean Ben Geo'en from Whittier. I met him on the Grrreeeeate Alaska Cache 'n Dash last fall and noticed he was grabbin' boxes down here recently.

Thanks to all those who have visited our webpages and also those who have purchased the 2006 Alaska Geocoins.

There are some recent changes to our site you might find intereting and we still have geocoins and pins for sale.

Hope to see you in Alaska soon!

I'd like to thank all the wonderful Alaskan folks who put out geocaches in the Anchorage area. I just got back a while ago from a week there, and I had the BEST time EVER caching with my little girl in and around your fair city! Thanks so much, and I really hope I can come back soon and get the caches I missed! Dude, you guys make me feel all city-slicker. Your "terrain 1.5" would be, like, a terrain 2.5 or so back here at home. :P I'm such a wimp.

But you too can improve your caching ability in three easy steps: 1. Go to Alaska. 2. Take your GPS. 3. Go do some "easy" caches! :)

Thanks again, Alaskans. You rock.

I'd like to thank all the wonderful Alaskan folks who put out geocaches in the Anchorage area. I just got back a while ago from a week there, and I had the BEST time EVER caching with my little girl in and around your fair city! Thanks so much, and I really hope I can come back soon and get the caches I missed! Dude, you guys make me feel all city-slicker. Your "terrain 1.5" would be, like, a terrain 2.5 or so back here at home. :P I'm such a wimp.

But you too can improve your caching ability in three easy steps: 1. Go to Alaska. 2. Take your GPS. 3. Go do some "easy" caches! :P

Thanks for visiting and bringing that lower 48 cash to spend looking for caches :P

Come back soon!

To keep up with our shenanigans visit: geocachealaska.proboards81.com

I'd like to thank all the wonderful Alaskan folks who put out geocaches in the Anchorage area. I just got back a while ago from a week there, and I had the BEST time EVER caching with my little girl in and around your fair city! Thanks so much, and I really hope I can come back soon and get the caches I missed! Dude, you guys make me feel all city-slicker. Your "terrain 1.5" would be, like, a terrain 2.5 or so back here at home. :cry: I'm such a wimp.

But you too can improve your caching ability in three easy steps: 1. Go to Alaska. 2. Take your GPS. 3. Go do some "easy" caches! :huh:

I see that you came back. Hope you have/had fun!!!!! :wacko:

Tried to register for Geocachealaska Forum and haven't received a confirmation. Checked my spam box, nothing there... Maybe it will come through tomorrow?

Dave

Hmmm...your profile shows that you registered at 6:53 p.m. this evening but that your account is "not activated." I'll ping your e-mail address to make sure the problem isn't with it.

Thanks for looking into this...Received your "test" email... <_<

Dave

Just got a GPS for Christmas....did a few caches in California, got back to AK and it was -40. But looking forward to some great caches.

Welcome aboard! Hope to see you on the trails or at an Event in the not too distant future!

Odds are good. I assume that any events will be posted.

Yes, they will be posted on geocaching.com. Advance notice and planning will happen in the GeocacheAlaska! forums.