Rest Area Caches

hide & seekers

Since searching along a route seems to be a feature that is difficult to implement, a partial solution would be to be able to search for rest area caches along interstates. Ok, it's a solution for me at least, but probably others too.

The cacher who places the cache would be able to note that this is a rest area cache, preferably along which highway/interstate and in what state. The cacher who wants to find these type of caches, would be able to search for under Rest Area Caches and set the search parameters to what state and/or which highway.

This would be such a useful tool for me and is something (or some form of) I'd love to see implemented.

Any thoughts?

Since searching along a route seems to be a feature that is difficult to implement, a partial solution would be to be able to search for rest area caches along interstates. Ok, it's a solution for me at least, but probably others too.

. . . .

Sounds like a good idea for the travelers among us. GeoTruckers has this feature, but is not exactly as hopping as Geocaching.Com or the forums here.

Geotruckers Forum: Rest Area Caches

Something on geocaching.com might get a better response.

JohnTee

I've been trying to come up with a generic attribute that makes sense...

The "Takes Less than an hour" is OK, but people are looking for ones that are specifically designed to be right on the interstate - and I'd also add "very close to the interstate" in this category.

"Easy Access"

"Close to Major Road" (not all countries have interstates)

"Quick Grab from Highway"

. . . .

Sounds like a good idea for the travelers among us. GeoTruckers has this feature, but is not exactly as hopping as Geocaching.Com or the forums here.

Geotruckers Forum: Rest Area Caches

Something on geocaching.com might get a better response.

JohnTee

Actually I've been looking and posting over there as well. I've posted (as MXtraveltrailer) lists of rest area caches I know of or have discovered.

Geotruckers.com has finally come out with a list of Truck / RV friendly caches across the USA. There are over 400 listings in the file and growing. It is available in GPX, LOC, Google Earch KML, HTML and online format. The list is comprised of contributions from our forum menbers. Pleast drop by Geotruckers.com and check us out. If you know of more trucker friendly caches please let us know and I'll add it to the list.

Geotruckers.com has finally come out with a list of Truck / RV friendly caches across the USA. There are over 400 listings in the file and growing. It is available in GPX, LOC, Google Earch KML, HTML and online format. The list is comprised of contributions from our forum menbers. Pleast drop by Geotruckers.com and check us out. If you know of more trucker friendly caches please let us know and I'll add it to the list.

I'm not sure, but I think some of those might violate some TOU rules...

I wonder if it might be better to have them broken up into Public Bookmark lists. It would be a massive undertaking to do it well -

Truck/RV friendly caches along I-55

Truck/RV friendly caches along I-80 from the east coast to Iowa

Truck/RV friendly caches along I-80 from Iowa to Denver

Truck/RV friendly caches along I-80 from Denver to San Francisco

Truck/RV friendly caches along I-5

Truck/RV friendly caches along...

You get the idea.

Then link to all of these public Bookmark lists on the Geotruckers.com page.

Edited by Markwell

Yes, it's helpful to have a database of rest stop caches, but rest stop caches get archived all the time so there is a risk of stale data. I'm thinking in particular of a PVC pipe cache that I found at a rest stop. The very next finder, later that day, was detained by the police and the cache was quickly archived thereafter. How long would it take to be removed from the Geotruckers database?

The Geotruckers database is a *clear* violation of the site Terms of Use.

I have noticed that on Canada's main highways, some geocaches have adopted a "naming convention" so if you search for geocaches along the "Yellowhead higway" you do a search for "YLHD" which is included in the name of the cache. Same thing goes for the TransCanada highway which uses "TCDN". Some other naming conventions are the Province the cache is located in. If you are looking for a cache on the Trans Canada, in the province of Saskatchewan, you do a search for "TCDNSK".

Obviously this won't solve your cache searching problems in the short term, but if a convention like this is adopted, it could be an easy fix.

I have noticed that on Canada's main highways, some geocaches have adopted a "naming convention" so if you search for geocaches along the "Yellowhead higway" you do a search for "YLHD" which is included in the name of the cache. Same thing goes for the TransCanada highway which uses "TCDN". Some other naming conventions are the Province the cache is located in. If you are looking for a cache on the Trans Canada, in the province of Saskatchewan, you do a search for "TCDNSK".

Obviously this won't solve your cache searching problems in the short term, but if a convention like this is adopted, it could be an easy fix.

We traveled the Trans-Canada highway from near Hope, BC to ThunderBay last summer and

found the caches listed with TCDN prefex to be a big help. I didn't realize Canada had so many beautiful cities and towns. We really enjoyed the trip. We returned from Duluth on US 2 and enjoyed the big and little towns on that route as well.

If you know of more trucker friendly caches please let us know and I'll add it to the list.

I think your list is a great idea but I really don't want to join the forum just to add my contribution so I'll post it here for you.

I have either found the caches listed below or know they are in rest areas or are RV/trucker friendly

GCGH9R - Gotta Go South

GCRX33 - The Sci Fi Cache

GCM5HM - Honey, Can We Stop Now?!?!?

The list below I can't verify but they did contain the words "rest area" when I searched my GSAK database. Please verify that these caches are still active before adding 'em to the list.

GCGE9N - Gotta Go North

GCNCYF - Airborne FLS

GCNCYQ - Airborne Drop Zone

GCGZFP - Gotta Go West

GCMCCX - Bugs 'n Peaches Welcome You!

GCHO13 - I-95 Book On Tape Exchange - North

GCHB1C - take a break

GCT6OX - I-10 East/West Travel Bug Hotel

The Geotruckers.com GPX files on our site are produced with GSAK and comprised of submissions from our users. I'm afraid that I don't see where that could be a violation of the TOU. If indeed I am in violation then every local, state, and regional club that lists caches in their area on their site is in violation as well. I seriously doubt that's the case

Archived caches are removed with each update of the file. Setting up separate file for each highway in each state is not only a major undertaking but unnecessary. Simply loading the file into a map program like Street Atlas USA or Microsoft map etc. will let you see the location of a cache. I have put a lot of work into producing this for users that could benefit from it. It surprises and disappoints me at how many people will find fault with something designed to benefit others and the geocaching community as a whole. I would have expected better than that.

As for those who have suggested caches to add to the list I do appreciate it. That's exactly how the list has grown to the size it has grown into to start out with. We will be putting out a updated list in the next week or two and yes archived caches will be removed.

BTW We also have a Google map of all the trucker / RV friendly caches on our site now. I'm sure some one will find a way to complain about that as well. I hope the rest of you can enjoy it though.

While I'm still figuring out how to use all the great lists at geotruckers.com, I love that there are lists! Do you know how many HOURS I've spent trying to find caches along interstates that are either at rest areas or are places that an RV towing a trailer can turn around at? This idea has made my traveling options so much easier. Now, when I travel I have a place to find caches quickly and easily. I can share my experiences with people that understand that I don't fit down that little road going to that small turn around. We can laugh at the stories of almost getting stuck! And share where a quick, good meal can be found. So, those that are complaining and finding problems.....please be still. Let us play in peace. We're not hurting anyone. If the Jeremy or Groundspeak have a problem with anything, I'm sure they know how to send an email. In the meantime, let's all go find a cache or two, move a few travel bugs along and have fun.

terri

When we travel it's usually in a 32 foot MH towing a Nissan Pathfinder. This will only work for premium members. What I do is figure out a route with streets and trips, Mapsource and mapsend will work also I believe, place multiple waypoints along the route, download PQs for areas along the route, then toss everything into GSAK and use an arc poly filter with a 1/2 mile limit. I can then load the remaining caches into my streets and trips, and between S&T and GSAK fine tune my trip to whatever I want to do. If the PQs are running fast I can usually do this all in less then 20 minutes.

here is a step by step how to, by RocketMan.