Help Me Choose

phsxc

Help!

I've been agonizing over what GPS to get. I had a Garmin GPS Legend. I wasn't real happy with it because it lost reception a lot in the woods and the screen was too small.

So - I've been looking for something with a larger screen. Don't know if I'm willing to pay for better performance under leaf cover. I want this for:

1. Making maps (or at least for saving to GPX files (is it?) so others can follow my trail guides)

2. Geocaching

3. Backpacking

4. Cycling

It seems all the units I'm considering all have:

- Barometer

- Altimeter

- Compass

- Expandable Memory

Here are the unit's I'm considering.

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX - $499 everywhere - maybe $450'ish on EBAY

- Autorouting/Turn-by-Turn directons

- SIRF Accuracy

- Software = the low $100 range.

- Display = Color, 1.5"x2.2" 240x160 pixels

- Locked software = YUCK! Suppose I want to sell this down the road or I want to get a new computer?

- 2 AA Batteries

- 7.5 oz

BOTTOM LINE = EXPENSIVE (about $600+ total), but SUPPOSEDLY ACCURATE - WORTH IT??? UGH??? The LOCKED SOFTWARE really turns me off. If I unlock it on one computer and then want to use it on another, I think I'm screwed. Or if I don't like this unit and want to sell it on ebay, then my software is unsellable? YUCK. I don't keep any of my tech toys more than a couple years before something new comes out.

Magellan Explorist XL $351 (on Amazon.com)

- Autorouting/Turn-by-Turn directons

- Display = COLOR, ?"x?" (3.5" diag) 220x176 pixels

- pics of display look awesome but is it superior to all the others?

- Software = Mapsend Topo (hope this gives turn-by-turn) about $70

- 4 AA Batteries - UGH - NOT SO GOOD FOR BACKPACKING

- 12.25 oz = HEAVY - AGAIN - NOT SO GOOD FOR BACKPACKING

BOTTOM LINE = NOT TOO BAD - $420

Some other contenders...

Brunton Atlas MNS GPS $359 on Amazon.com

- NO TURN BY TURN

- Software = Topo Create $199 - true 1:24K USGS topo maps! Very cool?

- Display = Not color, 1.7"x2.2" 240x180 pixels

- 2 AA Batteries

- 7 oz.

BOTTOM LINE = EXPENSIVE and NOT COLOR, NO TURN BY TURN (about $560) but might be very good with those topo maps.

Lowrance Ifinder Expedition C PLUS $350 (Amazon) $300-399 on Froogle

- NO TURN BY TURN

- Software = INCLUDED IN PLUS PACKAGE

- Display = COLOR, ?"x?" (2.83" diag) 320x240 pixels - highest resolution by far, but not largest screen.

- 2 AA Batteries

- 8.7 oz

- Built in microphone for recording voice with waypoints (I like that!)

BOTTOM LINE = COLOR + VERY REASONABLY PRICED, but no TURN BY TURN.

So... I'm thinking it's between the Magellan Explorist XL and the Lowrance Ifinder Expedition C.

Do you think either of these would be better under tree cover than my old (like 4-5 years old) Garmin Legend? (I think both use more satellites)

I just wish the Lowrance had turn by turn.

There is something called a Lowrance iWay 100M which has turn by turn, but it appears to be discontinued. Not sure if I can use it for Geocaching. It's not color either.

Any opinions on those?

Or reasons why I should choose something else?

If so - what else?

Thanks so much!

Brad

Edited by phsxc

I know Garmin, so I will address that only:

Yes the maps are locked, but that applies only to downloading maps into your GPS. You can install the mapping software on an unlimited # of computers. But each licensed CD can only unlock two GPS units. So, the program can be resold if you only only unlock one GPS unit. Even if you use up the two unlocks, the mapping software is still good and downloadable on any computer; you just can't unlock anymore GPS units unless you purchase additional licenses.

The GPSMAP 60CSx is a color screen model (the "C" in 60CSX stands for color) and is highly touted by users for it's gathering of weak satellite signals.

If you use your "toys" for only a couple years, you may consider becoming an REI member and purchasing your GPS through them as their policy allows you to upgrade your GPS and pay only the difference. That goes for mapping software purchases as well - most will be free as the price of upgraded maps rarely goes up.

Garmin also sells (or will be selling) the GPSMAP 60Cx - the color version without the altimeter and electronic compass. It retails on their webpage for $480.

Edited by Chuy

Opps.. you are correct - the GPSMAP 60CSX is color. I knew that, but I messed up.

Thanks for the much clearer description of Garmin's licensing. I read there web site a couple times and it was really confusing to me. I still don't really like it though....

I'll have to investigate the REI thing. I never heard of that. Thanks!

I appreciate your inputs. Hope to hear from others - especially anyone who has a Magellan Explorist XL or a Lowrance iFinder Expedition.

I hate to spend $600 on a Garmin... but maybe I should. Ugh!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Brad

phsxc...I don't have an opinion about your gps choices, but I DO have an opinion about your original post: What an excellent, well-written and well-formatted post! It's a pleasure to see a request for info made in such an intelligent, researched fashion. Good luck with the decision-making for your purchase. I'm sure all the good folk who contribute to these boards will help you along the way.

Darn..

I had a real problem with my Legend in the woods around here and on the Appalachian Trail. It would take forever to pick up satellites and then would loose them and I'd do this huge walk and have nothing to show for it.

So - it sounds like SiRF is really important for me...

Magellan doesn't list that is has SIRF. Neither does Lowrance. Just Garmin?

I wish Garmin would package the map-software with their GPS's in a "plus" package like Lowrance...

Oh man.. this is going to cost me a lot more than I really wanted to spend... Oh well...

I'll give it a few more days to see what others post before I make a decision.

Thanks everyone!

Garmin makes better tracklogs than Magellan. A new computer isn't an issue for Garmin, the code allows you to have the software on all your computers. Selling it I'm not sure about.

If mapmaking is a key piece of the puzzle, it's Garmin Hands down. For all your other purposes both will do fine.

Edit: I don't know were brunton fits in on the tracklog question.

Edited by Renegade Knight

...your post caught my attention since I'm in a similar boat and looking at roughly the same units.

In a nutshell, ...the Garmin units seem really nice, ...I'd just love to see a slightly larger screen (like the Explorist XL), ...however from what I've been reading the Magellan autorouting software isn't as flexible as Garmin's. Additionally (as you noted), ...the Garmin 60csx is brand new and has the latest SIRF technology in it. The problem though, ...is that the prices are pretty fixed (high) right now.

I'm curious what your decision will be...

Kevin

I wish Garmin would package the map-software with their GPS's in a "plus" package like Lowrance...

They do sell a Navigation Kit - about $145 from most reputable internet GPS dealers. It includes the mapping software, DC adapter, and three types of connection adapters: bean bag, windshield mount, and semi-permanent dash mount (uses doubled-sided tape).

Regarding the REI thing, feel free to contact GoBolts! about the REI policy; he's a member is always reminding us how he just traded in his GPS for a new unit from REI for free, etc...

Edited by Chuy

I've been going through and reading other posts like crazy and found out some guy uses GSAK (which I assume is some software) to create cache waypoints and I guess Magellan's Explorist 600 lets you download all the info on a Cache, e.g., GC Code, name, hidden by, terrain, difficulty, type, size, last found and hint.

From his post, it sounds like the Garmin GPS 60CSX has a 30+/- character limit for recording with a waypoint.

I know everytime I go out geocaching, I have to take a piece of paper with the hints for each cache I'm going to try to hit.

That Magellan seems pretty cool.

Does Garmin's Waypoint Management software do anything cool like that?

What I like about the Lowrance Expedition is it lets you record your voice with each waypoint, so you could enter the waypoint, record the hint and go!

Also - what I frequently do is document trail routes and as I record waypoints in my GPS, I also have to record on a piece of paper what trail intersection I'm at and how far I've gone and which direction to turn next for my trail guides I make up. It sure would be nice to just be able to record that by speaking into the GPS.

I downloaded a Lowrance simulator to my PC and it's screens look kind of un-polished.

I also read quite a bit about Garmin's software unlock policy, which I guess lets you install the software on as many PC's as you want, but only lets you send maps to at most 2 GPS's based on some internal code in the GPS. Although this really probably doesn't matter to me, it bothers me.

UGH! I just can't decide. There just is no one unit that is perfect I guess. Phew!

Quoting....

"""""I wish Garmin would package the map-software with their GPS's in a "plus" package like Lowrance... """"

Check out gps discount, they offer such packages for the garmin 60csx and the cx, at an extremely attractive price. Free fed ex shipping. Got mine from them 3 weeks ago (60csx) and could not be happier......

Rich

I have an eXplorist 600. I have used the thing in some heavy groves of Eucalyptus trees without missing a beat, but have not used it yet in really heavy Pine. Will do that this weekend. Fog hasn't affected it at all, rainclouds either, maybe because I wasn't really out in the rain!

I LOVE the fact that I can upload regions of my MapSend (which you will find on here somewhere how to keep your 3rd CD of the TOPO from getting all scratched with repeated in/out of the drive) map to the GPS SD card, and I call those regions the same as whatever the group of caches I choose to find that particular day. GSAK enables easy groupings of caches based on where I want to go that day. Or by terrain, which is decided on whether or not I take kids with me.

I also have created a set of my own personal POI's, which I have loaded into a file called Home Coords. The altitude and barometer have been quite accurate, both with the weather equipment I have access to and also the changin weather conditions.

The only gripe I have about it is that the Geocaching feature still doesn't allow much info, only 30 characters. Other than that I have been really enjoying going out and treasure-hunting with it.

I've been going through and reading other posts like crazy and found out some guy uses GSAK (which I assume is some software) to create cache waypoints and I guess Magellan's Explorist 600 lets you download all the info on a Cache, e.g., GC Code, name, hidden by, terrain, difficulty, type, size, last found and hint. I use GSAK and EasyGPS. GSAK is a very versatile waypoint manager. It works with both Garmin, Magellan, and others. Best to check out their website to understand more. Essentially, it opens your ZIP'ed PQs automatically and allows you to download waypoints into your GPS by name, hint, waypoint code, terrain rating, difficult rating or any combination that can fit into the waypoint field. It can even strip the "GC" from waypoints. However, Garmins will sort only by waypoint name, symbol, or proximity.

From his post, it sounds like the Garmin GPS 60CSX has a 30+/- character limit for recording with a waypoint.

The Garmins have a 10-digit limit for the waypoint name. The 30 character limit is for the notes section. For each waypoint you download, you can attach note up to 30 characters. I put the hints here; others download trailhead/parking coords, etc...

I know everytime I go out geocaching, I have to take a piece of paper with the hints for each cache I'm going to try to hit. Kiss those notes goodbye if you get the Garmins supporting notes - Etrex Cs and GPS60s.

Does Garmin's Waypoint Management software do anything cool like that? Like what? I missed that.

What I like about the Lowrance Expedition is it lets you record your voice with each waypoint, so you could enter the waypoint, record the hint and go! Garmin can't do this!

Also - what I frequently do is document trail routes and as I record waypoints in my GPS, I also have to record on a piece of paper what trail intersection I'm at and how far I've gone and which direction to turn next for my trail guides I make up. It sure would be nice to just be able to record that by speaking into the GPS. Garmins can create and save tracks; we call them bread crumbs; you can download the tracks to your computer using the mapping software.

I also read quite a bit about Garmin's software unlock policy, which I guess lets you install the software on as many PC's as you want, but only lets you send maps to at most 2 GPS's based on some internal code in the GPS. Although this really probably doesn't matter to me, it bothers me. To unlock a GPS code, you must be connected to the internet; when you try to unlock a GPS, the software connects to the GC website to see how many GPS' your licensed map has used up.

UGH! I just can't decide. There just is no one unit that is perfect I guess. Phew!

Good luck with that!

Edited by Chuy

I really appreciate everyone's help. I think I'm going to go with the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX solely due to the SiRF reception. I spend a lot of time in the woods and I think I'll regret any other decision. I was hoping someone would tell me Lowrance or Magellan were as good (or almost as good) as a Garmin X model, but I can't find any posts like that.

So now, I think I'm just kind of going to search every day till I find a unit selling for somewhere in the low $400's and then pounce on it! Actually, there's some on eBAY right now for $416 I think... but I had a lead that they were on sale for $405 on www.defender.com a couple days ago (when I hadn't made up my mind), but aren't anymore. dadgum ... I guess it was some kind of special from the Miami boat show that ended on the 20th. Ugh!!!!

Oh - one interesting tid-bit I got from Garmin... I couldn't figure out for the life of me what the difference between City Navigator and City Select was so I wrote to them. Garmin said City Navigator is better for units with more memory. I guess both products are just about identical except City Select breaks the maps down into smaller chunks for units with less memory. So Garmin said - You want City Select with a Garmin GPSMAP 60-series.

When I get one, I'll post my impressions!

Thanks everyone! You've been very helpful.

Brad

I am a Lowrance Expedition C owner. I have posted before about it because I love it and I could have afforded an Explorist XL or the 60/76 CSWXT or whatever and chose the Lowrance.

First of all, the Brunton is just a rebadged Lowrance H2O for more money. Stay away unless you like to spend more.

Here's what I like about my Expedition.

* Fast lock, great accuracy, SIRFIII chipset

* 1000 waypoints per file, unlimited files can be loaded on the SD or MMC card

* 10000 points per track, 100 tracks total, but you can save tracks to the card

and start again. Total track points is around 60000 in the unit's memory.

* Incredible color screen with quarter VGA resolution.

* Electronic compass and barometric altimeter (as in the "S" version Garmins).

* MapCreate software (comes with the Plus pack along with a 64 mb SD card

and a cardreader. Far superior to the Magellan Topo software I had with my Sportrak Map.

* Capable of 1 gb (I have one) and I hear 2 gb SD card use. I have most of N. Cal.,

Oregon, and Washington topo maps in mine along with 3 files with waypoints of

around 500 each.

* $320 plus shipping.

* 11 hours battery life with 2 AA 2500 mah NiMH batteries, with backlight on, compass/altimeter on,

WAAS on, coffeemaker on :laughing:

Here's what I don't like.

* It's big, I still haven't gotten used to it.

* No turn-by-turn capability (autorouting?). I hear that I need this, but can't figure out why.

* The rubber cover over the bottom connector and the external antenna connecter aren't very

solidly attached. They could have come up with a better solution to cover these areas.

* It's too shiny and makes me paranoid about scratches. I have a neoprene case and

an invisibleshield on their way, but it makes me nervous.

* Everyone says, "What?" when I tell them what GPSR I bought. Not really a problem.

Hope this helps confuse the issue even more!

Edit to add link to screenshots: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gtinseth/sets...57594063528727/

Edited by synergicity

I really appreciate everyone's help. I think I'm going to go with the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX solely due to the SiRF reception. I spend a lot of time in the woods and I think I'll regret any other decision. I was hoping someone would tell me Lowrance or Magellan were as good (or almost as good) as a Garmin X model, but I can't find any posts like that.

So now, I think I'm just kind of going to search every day till I find a unit selling for somewhere in the low $400's and then pounce on it! Actually, there's some on eBAY right now for $416 I think... but I had a lead that they were on sale for $405 on www.defender.com a couple days ago (when I hadn't made up my mind), but aren't anymore. dadgum ... I guess it was some kind of special from the Miami boat show that ended on the 20th. Ugh!!!!

Oh - one interesting tid-bit I got from Garmin... I couldn't figure out for the life of me what the difference between City Navigator and City Select was so I wrote to them. Garmin said City Navigator is better for units with more memory. I guess both products are just about identical except City Select breaks the maps down into smaller chunks for units with less memory. So Garmin said - You want City Select with a Garmin GPSMAP 60-series.

When I get one, I'll post my impressions!

Thanks everyone! You've been very helpful.

Brad

I had also called Garmin, ...with regard to City Select vs. City Navigator. Pretty much what you said, ...however it's my understanding the City Select is 'going away' in place of City Navigator...

I myself am leaning toward the 60csx as well. ...same thing too, ...waiting to see the price come down a bit...

Kevin

Darn..

I had a real problem with my Legend in the woods around here and on the Appalachian Trail. It would take forever to pick up satellites and then would loose them and I'd do this huge walk and have nothing to show for it.

So - it sounds like SiRF is really important for me...

Magellan doesn't list that is has SIRF. Neither does Lowrance. Just Garmin?

Oh man.. this is going to cost me a lot more than I really wanted to spend... Oh well...

I'll give it a few more days to see what others post before I make a decision.

Thanks everyone!

Cobra GPS 1000 uses SIRF and goes for about $300 retail (and even less on eBay, sometimes in the low $100s). It uses the older SiRF II chip and not the newer SiRF III that the Garmin X units do, but it's still effective in otherwise difficult reception conditions. However, I don't think you can easily if at all use GSAK, etc. to download waypoints to it (despite all the rants about Cobra you may find on here, they are really in regard to the 100 and 500, the 1000 is much much better). Still it may be the cheapest handheld SiRF unit out there.

SiRF is just a brand of receiver chip that seems to be superior to others at getting and holding satellites in difficult conditions like heavy tree cover and tall buildings. It is expensive because it is relatively new (I think the new "X" units are actually the only Garmin units to use it). Until recently, most of the SiRF units were either those "antennas with a cord" that you attach to a laptop or PDA to turn into a GPS or units designed specifically for a car, like the TomToms or the expensive "car oriented" Cobra units like the NAV4500. They've also commonly found in mobile phones since all phones made since 2001 (at least in the US) have to have locator technology that 911 can access and often you may be in a "GPS blockage" area with your cell phone.

But that is starting to change, so I think if you wait long enough you'll see affordable units with the chip, it's just that it's the "leading edge" right now. Keep in mind that if you're not willing to wait, another solution is a good unit that has an external antenna jack. Gilsson makes an antenna that you can usually get on eBay for about $20-30 that as one option can be had with only a 3 ft. cord! The antenna is magnetic so you put it somewhere on the zipper of a backpack and it can sometimes help in tree cover, etc. Good luck!

This was true with units up to the 60CSx. I have a 512mb TransFlash MicroSD card in mine and have 16 states and provinces loaded using both CitySelect V7 and also the same US area using Topo. As an added bonus I also have all the tide charts, too.

The gist of this is that there is PLENTY of memory for CityNavigator and it's bigger chunks. I already had a CitySelect V7 download available from my previous unit purchase, a 60CS, or I probably would have opted for CN.

BTW...it's a GREAT unit.

I am a Lowrance Expedition C owner. I have posted before about it because I love it and I could have afforded an Explorist XL or the 60/76 CSWXT or whatever and chose the Lowrance.

First of all, the Brunton is just a rebadged Lowrance H2O for more money. Stay away unless you like to spend more.

Here's what I like about my Expedition.

* Fast lock, great accuracy, SIRFIII chipset

* 1000 waypoints per file, unlimited files can be loaded on the SD or MMC card

* 10000 points per track, 100 tracks total, but you can save tracks to the card

and start again. Total track points is around 60000 in the unit's memory.

* Incredible color screen with quarter VGA resolution.

* Electronic compass and barometric altimeter (as in the "S" version Garmins).

* MapCreate software (comes with the Plus pack along with a 64 mb SD card

and a cardreader. Far superior to the Magellan Topo software I had with my Sportrak Map.

* Capable of 1 gb (I have one) and I hear 2 gb SD card use. I have most of N. Cal.,

Oregon, and Washington topo maps in mine along with 3 files with waypoints of

around 500 each.

* $320 plus shipping.

* 11 hours battery life with 2 AA 2500 mah NiMH batteries, with backlight on, compass/altimeter on,

WAAS on, coffeemaker on :D

Here's what I don't like.

* No turn-by-turn capability (autorouting?). I hear that I need this, but can't figure out why.

* The rubber cover over the bottom connector and the external antenna connecter aren't very

solidly attached. They could have come up with a better solution to cover these areas.

* It's too shiny and makes me paranoid about scratches. I have a neoprene case and

* Everyone says, "What?" when I tell them what GPSR I bought. Not really a problem.

Hope this helps confuse the issue even more!

Edit to add link to screenshots: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gtinseth/sets...57594063528727/

Sounds like a great unit. The only problem that I might have with getting one is the lack of autorouting. If you do much urban/subruban caching autorouting is invaluable. This can be overcome with the use of a laptop with mapping software but having autorouting in the gpsr effectively eliminates the need to haul that laptop around. Great for general navigating unrelated to geocaching. That's how it works for Team Cotati any way. Thanks for the info on Lowrance. Do they make a unit w/autorouting capability?

Edited by Team Cotati

I had a Garmin Legend and after a little work was able to use it downloading some software on it. I now have a Mag Explor XL and find it unbelieveably difficult to figure out. It does not appear to have as good a back track feature either and my primary use of to back track my self on a motorcycle out of deep forest or back road areas. The sensitivity seems to be better on the XL, but I am not happy with the product and would go with Garmin from now on.

Okay - I bought my Garmin GPS 60CSX on Ebay last week and got it yesterday.

I took it for a walk in the woods just a little while ago and it's AWESOME!

What an improvement from my old Legend.

It acquired a ton of satellites very quickly.

It never lost reception even though I went through thick pine trees.

Then I gave it what I thought would be a real test. I put it in my jacket pocket, walked down a steep bank into a brook and back out - didn't loose the signal!

When I got home, I came in the house and STILL had reception - even in the house.

This unit is a major improvement - I mean MAJOR.

I downloaded my track to Mapsource and my track looked very nice, even where I went out and back. On my Legend, if I went out and back on a trail, the points were never on top of each other and any maps I'd make would look like crap so this is fabulous!

The only thing I don't like so far is I can't fiind a color scheme I like.

Now... I gotta find a place with City Select (or Navigator and buy a big memory card - which I'm going to do anyway).

Oh - I also tried out GSAK. I downloaded a file of waypoints off of geocaching.com (which I had never done before, didn't know you could) and tried to import them into GSAK and only one waypoint imported. I might have to play with this some more, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

But - I then tried Easy GPS. I imported the file of waypoints perfectly, then downloaded them to my GPS! That is so awesome... I used to enter these by hand... This is sweet!

OMG - I am so excited! I now have to go back to my one geocache and get better coords for it, then I'll try finding more around me.

Anyway.. bottom line is - that SIRF chip IS WORTH IT (in my opinion).

Thanks everyone!

Brad

Hey.. still playing with my GPSMAP 60csx... I mountain biked around a loop yesterday and had my GPS in the front pocket of my Anorak the whole time, so it was down by my waist and I was leaning over it. It never lost reception. I even went through some areas with heavy pine tree cover and the unit didn't loose a fix! I really can't think of anywhere else I can go to make this thing loose reception until the leaves come out on the trees. So far - so good!

Also - since I haven't bought any Mapsource CD's yet and I was using Mapsource Easy GPS, well, I noticed there is another product called Expert GPS. I downloaded it and was pleasantly suprised to find that it can automatically retrieve Topo maps OR Aerial Photography maps for you to plot your track on. That is really cool... I like this a lot! All those dadgum CD's I used to have to load with National Geographic Topo aren't needed. Nice! Yes - you do need an internet connection, but I like that better than a bunch of CD's.

Anyway - I have a lot to learn, but I'm really enjoying this GPS.

I do have a question though. Does anyone know if it's possible to convert a track into a route with any of this software?

Thanks,

Brad

What do you mean, BIG? Looks like the same size as others to me.

And WHERE did you find an invisibleshield for THAT model?

I HAVE to know, as I just ordered one - largely based on your praise, and largely based on all the other stuff I'v read here this past week.

Thanks!

ANd I think I screwed up, ordered it 'standard deliver' (2-7 days) and called to upgrade to overnight; but my card wasn't charged additional nor did I get a new email. Might not get it till late(er) in the week or after my b-day.

My fault.