Google Earth

bigdog999

I haven't been around much, but I've just started looking at the site again recently. I've noticed that some of the caches have links to google earth and others don't. Is this the owner's decision or something wrong elsewhere? I've checked it with both google earth running and not.

Not to argue pedantics with a hamster or a weasel or a leprechaun, but Google Earth itself will display appoximately a bazillion wpts. Lep's answer for what geocaching.com decides to hand your computer as a GE file is one thing. What geocaching.com decides to hand GE as formatted data is a different subject.

Edited by robertlipe

I love the Google Earth interface. Allows for easy route planning!

However, one thing that would make it even better is to make a small change to the icons. It currently shows the types of caches (traditional, multi, etc) which is great, but it's missing the "status" of the cache. Maybe an update to the icons to include a red X through it if the cache is temporally disabled or something like that. I think it would help a ton in route planning.

Thanks for listening.

Sokratz

I was playing around with my KML creation class and just tested out to see how many I could put on there.. It's pretty cool :D Took forever for it to load though and Elias had to get me another gig of ram for my dev pc :D

Ah... just another gig of ram, ok... that's cool.

Wish I had someone to buy me another gig of ram, you lucky... oh, ah, yeah... did I say that with my outside voice? um, yeah.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ac-22247d9f7866

Which is GCRA85 or Geese Landing. Above the UTM, it lists a link for Google Map, (inc Satellitte), or Google Earth. This link opens up Google Earth and goes to the cache. But it is not displayed on every site. It may have been something I did when I was more involved in the sport, but I wonder why it's not displayed on every page.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ac-22247d9f7866

Which is GCRA85 or Geese Landing. Above the UTM, it lists a link for Google Map, (inc Satellitte), or Google Earth. This link opens up Google Earth and goes to the cache. But it is not displayed on every site. It may have been something I did when I was more involved in the sport, but I wonder why it's not displayed on every page.

Greasemonkey?

Raine, how did you get it to show wo many caches, and when your zoomed out past 500 miles. My caches disappear if im that far out.

What? Haven't you been getting your 500GB PQ file "All caches archived and unarchived in the United States"?

:P:) :)

I think the key is here:

573be3f0-dd05-4367-b106-475a62f32814.jpg

He works for the "man" and can do REALLY cool stuff that we can't.

<google earth image with all the caches in it>

(1)See that cache in the middle, stacked on top of all the others? That's mine. :lol: *

(2)I hear nudecacher has a GSAK database of all the caches in the world. You can't let him beat you.

(3)What is that, 4GB of RAM or something?

(4)Add a little tiny Signal somewhere and make it into a wallpaper. "Where's Signal? April 2006 Desktop Wallpaper"

*Obviously not. But people have a hard time detecting my humor.

Edited by alexrudd