18 Inch Geocoin!

SunshineGang

Just curious, is it a charity auction? Any details on if it is if you have to be there to auction or could you do a silent auction?

It will be a silent charity auction at this upcoming event GCRK0H

The entire sale price will go to MIGO - Michigan Geocachers Organization which is a Legal non profit organization.

there are a few other way cool things up for auction there too. Like this Pure silver rot13 coin. One of only 5 made. I am told that one went to each of the geocoin club owners and the other two were reserved for special purposes like this. very rare!

0601frsm.jpg

Hey, I recognize that coin.

Glad you guys like it. I am hoping it brings in a nice amount for the organization, especially since we have serveral big time coin collectors that are part of MiGO.

Unfortunantly you must be present to bid in this auction. Why don't you make a road trip to the great state of Michigan and join us for one awesome event.

It would be cool to etch a valid TB number onto the coin (that would add about $5 to the cost though).

Silent auction.... hmmmm. Do you have to be present?

As far as I know I think you have to be present. I was trying to think of a way to proxy bid for anyone that was interested but I cannot think of a way to garrantee getting paid. We are going. But I see that it will be a bit of a commute for you. Better leave now :D

Edited by SunshineGang

Since this coin is not trackable I have no choice but to shut down this thread, lock all of your accounts, and confiscate the item in question.

Please contact me offline about where to have it sent. :D

I'll put it in an evelope and mail it to you, hope the envelope holds up and the coin doesn't fall out. :laughing:

Since this coin is not trackable I have no choice but to shut down this thread, lock all of your accounts, and confiscate the item in question.

Please contact me offline about where to have it sent. :laughing:

Wow. The moderators are really starting to get heavy handed :D

Does s/he have hands?? :D

:D

It will be a silent charity auction at this upcoming event GCRK0H

The entire sale price will go to MIGO - Michigan Geocachers Organization which is a Legal non profit organization.

Please clarify... has MiGO become a registered charity?

MiGO is a registered non-profit 503c(7) organization. Maybe not exactly what some people think of as a charity organization but it is a registered non profit group.

A charity can be defined as a foundation created to promote the public good (not for assistance to any particular individuals). So yea, I would say MiGO is a registered charity.

Edited by Gramza Gang

MiGO is a registered non-profit 503c(7) organization. Maybe not exactly what some people think of as a charity organization but it is a registered non profit group.

A charity can be defined as a foundation created to promote the public good (not for assistance to any particular individuals). So yea, I would say MiGO is a registered charity.

MiGO may be a non-profit but they are not a charity by any stretch of the imagination. It's a geocaching group, not a charity. Auctioning an item to raise funds for the group is fine and great but labeling it as a charity auction is simply wrong in my book.

Here is what Merriam Webster has to say:

An organization to aid the needy — Syn. charitable institution, philanthropy, foundation, fund, welfare organization, eleemosynary corporation; see also foundation 3.

Organized charities include: American Cancer Society, American Diabetes Association, American Foundation for AIDS Research, American Foundation for the Blind, American Heart Association, American Lung Association, American Red Cross, Arthritis Foundation, CARE, Catholic Charities, Community Chest, Easter Seal Society, Goodwill, Heart and Lung Foundation, Jewish Welfare Fund, Leukemia Society Inc., Lupus Foundation, March of Dimes, Medico, Multiple Sclerosis Research Foundation Corp., Muscular Dystrophy Association of America Inc., National Association of the Deaf, National Association for Retarded Children, National Mental Health Association, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, National Epilepsy League, National Foundation for Neuromuscular Diseases, National Hemophilia Foundation, National Kidney Foundation Inc., National Paraplegia Foundation Inc., National Society for the Prevention of Blindness, National Tuberculosis Association, St. Vincent de Paul Society, Salvation Army, United Cerebral Palsy Association Inc., United Fund, United Health Foundation Inc., United Leukemia Fund Inc., United Negro College Fund, United Ostomy Association, United Parkinson Foundation, United Way.

hey ABX I like this definition better

charity

n 1: a foundation created to promote the public good (not for assistance to any particular individuals) 2: a kindly and lenient attitude toward people [syn: brotherly love] 3: an activity or gift that benefits the public at large 4: pinnate-leaved European perennial having bright blue or white flowers [syn: Jacob's ladder, Greek valerian, Polemonium caeruleum, Polemonium van-bruntiae, Polymonium caeruleum van-bruntiae] 5: an institution set up to provide help to the needy

it can be found at this site www.dictionary.com

So I guess I could say that it is a an "auction to benefit a non-profit 503c(7) organization", But I am just gonna say that it is a "CHARITY AUCTION" Hope no one else minds.

Still Smiling! :laughing: