Log Online Only Cache

atascadero

Here are my thoughts.

I'm getting close to hidding a micro (Waterproof match Container) cache and have some small trade items to include in it. A log book would take alot of space and exclude some items that otherwise would fit.

Is it acceptable to have a cache which finds, DNF, etc. are only logged online only?

This could be a regular member or PM only cache. Would the type make a difference?

Thanks for any insight.

Edited by atascadero

Won't work.

At a minimum, a cache must contain some form of logbook. Even if just a fragment of paper on which to initial.

From the guidelines:

A container with just an object or codeword for verification, and no logbook, generally, does not qualify as a traditional cache.
Edited by StarBrand

Agree with the others about the need for a log sheet. As far as signing the container; do you really want to replace the container every 5-10 logs? That might be every week, or every every day or 2 in popular areas.

About that container. Ideally it should be as big as the surrounding area permits. Don't hide a micro if a small will work. Don't hide a small if a full-sized cache will fit.

Micros should be reserved for high visibility areas; when anything bigger would get muggled.

Thanks for the quick replys.

How about this? Two containers (Both waterproof match Containers) tethered together in which one contains the trade items and the other with the log?

That would probably work, but seems unnecessary- if there's enough room for two match containers, there's probably enough room for a larger container, like a decon can.

Thanks for the quick replys.

How about this? Two containers (Both waterproof match Containers) tethered together in which one contains the trade items and the other with the log?

Sure, as long as you have a log. But if you have room for 2 match containers, it sounds like you have room for a single bigger container. Where are you planning to hide this? (general description of area, we don't need the exact location)

Edit: Cyclometh types faster then I do! :laughing:

Edited by Mopar
Ideally it should be as big as the surrounding area permits. Don't hide a micro if a small will work. Don't hide a small if a full-sized cache will fit.

Micros should be reserved for high visibility areas; when anything bigger would get muggled.

Good point. I would only place a micro when the situation dictates it and that is what I'm looking at.

That would probably work, but seems unnecessary- if there's enough room for two match containers, there's probably enough room for a larger container, like a decon can.

The two match containers would allow a more convincing hanging in a tree camo hide. Of course that is a newbies idea. Perhaps I'm going forward too fast and should just do a basic cache to start out with and that's what I just decided while writing this. LOL.

What is a "decon can"?

Sure, as long as you have a log. But if you have room for 2 match containers, it sounds like you have room for a single bigger container. Where are you planning to hide this? (general description of area, we don't need the exact location)
It was to hang in an Oak tree at about 4 ft off the ground in a wooded area but the oak does stand out from the surrounding trees.

The two match containers would allow a more convincing hanging in a tree camo hide. Of course that is a newbies idea. Perhaps I'm going forward too fast and should just do a basic cache to start out with and that's what I just decided while writing this. LOL.

What is a "decon can"?

Interesting idea- might be doable, especially if both were camoflauged to look like pinecones or something.

A decon can is a small plastic box, about 3" wide by 6" high by 2.5" deep (just estimations). They're originally used as part of chemical masks from the US military- there's a pounch on the back of the mask carrier that contains a decon can. The decon can normally would be used to contain decontamination wipes and possibly autoinjectors for chemical poisoning.

You can get them at surplus stores, they're waterproof, dark green and make great small cache containers.

We recently found a micro in which many people before us said that a new log was needed and they were leaving paper inside the film canister. When we found the cache, we pulled out the scraps of paper to find a place to sign when we saw one of the scraps had a code word with instructions to email the owner the code word instead of signing a log.

Even though this owner tried to do what you suggested, people were leaving paper in the cotainer anyway.

Dawn