Second Hand Gps Unit

Ekso

Don't panic about ebay, it's ok! Look for premium sellers and sellers with high feedback scores (probably 95%+). Check the feedback for the seller before you bid and remeber, if you pay more than £50 you're protected by ebay. Also if you pay on a credit card thru paypal you're more than likely protected thru them under the consumer credit act (I think, but I'm no expert! Someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

The b-i-l got a Garmin Gecko - the yellow one.

Hello,

I have tried to use the main "GPS Garage Sale" forum, but notice it is heavily US based. I have been told I cannot use US GPS units beacuse of the basemap not being UK.

Can anyone guide me on this,

thanks

Ekso

Ekso,

Do not concern yourself overly with the base map - it's pish! ...and that goes for whatever unit you settle for.

Assuming you are looking for a unit that will store hi-rez maps, when you install them, as you will eventually want to, the hi-rez maps are displayed instead of the basemap.

Shop through eBay for a good deal but do your research first - new units can be bought at reasonable prices from European sources. I got my Vista C from:

Aspidshop...

...based in Portugal I believe. The unit arrived at crack-of-sparrows the very next day. Cheaper, faster - and a European unit too.

Ekso,

Do not concern yourself overly with the base map - it's pish! ...and that goes for whatever unit you settle for.

Assuming you are looking for a unit that will store hi-rez maps, when you install them, as you will eventually want to, the hi-rez maps are displayed instead of the basemap.

Shop through eBay for a good deal but do your research first - new units can be bought at reasonable prices from European sources. I got my Vista C from:

Aspidshop...

...based in Portugal I believe. The unit arrived at crack-of-sparrows the very next day. Cheaper, faster - and a European unit too.

Opinion

I certainly can recommend Aspidshop I got my Garmin with EU base mapping from there about 6 months ago and it came in around £70 cheaper than the UK. And because they are in an EU country Garmin has to honour the warranty and you gain all the protection of both English and European Law. and it took exactly 24hrs to arrive (Postage was 10 Euro)

Edited by Moote

Hello,

I have tried to use the main "GPS Garage Sale" forum, but notice it is heavily US based. I have been told I cannot use US GPS units beacuse of the basemap not being UK.

thanks

Ekso

Ekso,

Aspidshop...

Just had a look as site myself. It's fantastics. Alrady on my favourites.

So, whwt you're saying is that if the basemap does not matter, should I get one from the US. I have friends that come to the UK regulary.

Lastly, which one !! Garmin Vista ?

Hello,

thanks

Ekso

Ekso,

Aspidshop...

Just had a look as site myself. It's fantastics. Alrady on my favourites.

So, whwt you're saying is that if the basemap does not matter, should I get one from the US. I have friends that come to the UK regulary.

Lastly, which one !! Garmin Vista ?

If I was in the market for another Garmin GPS unit, I would definately be going for one of the new ****Cx models for the micro-SD card facility.

The previous Vista and Legend C models (I have the Vista C) only have 48 MB of memory. This is restrictive on the map "tiles" you can load. If your area of interest is close to the boundary of two large tiles, you may not be able to install them both.

I actually use City Navigator 7 with my Vista, this software came with my Streetpilot 2610 and can be unlocked to use with 2 different Garmin units. It gives me the autorouting facility of the SP on my Vista - fitted to the handlebars of my bike. With the next upgrade of CN, I may find that my use of the software is restricted by Garmin re-defining the map tiles.

...so, just like computers, memory space is the biggy!

i got an as new etrex legend from ebay seller with incar power supply, mapsource maps incar mount and all usual cables for £100. you just have to bide your time!!legend on ebay and another legend 2

My legend cost £85 on ebay from a US power seller with a copy of european mapsource

As posted above - check the feedback (and look at the dates too - a lot of very recent positive feedback could be suspicious)

confused as to why a lot of very recent positive feedback is suspicious? i sold 50 items in a short period all receiving positive feedback!!! ............but i assure you i'm not suspicious!! least i don't think i am.

Unscrupulous sellers sometimes use fake IDs or mates to 'buy/sell' goods, sometimes imaginary or of low value, to boost their feedback score

They don't usually have the patience to build a profile over a lengthy period, so they should be easier to spot

If you fit that profile - sorry!

<<Garmin has to honour the warranty >>

Don't ever worry about Garmin "having" to honour a warranty. Having just had a 10-year old GPS replaced with a brand new one free of charge and delivered by courier we don't think you need worry too much about that, but DO buy Garmin - it's worth it for their phenomenal after sales service.

My family bought me a legend off ebay just before Christmas. Brand new

Seller was "metamonkey" arrived in 4 days. £85 + £15 del.

The only thing I can say is the postage was a little high as it only cost $8 to send. Still worked out cheaper than alot of the second hand ones that were being sold at the same time.

If you are concerned about sellers on ebay a good page is http://www.toolhaus.org/ You can put a sellers name in and it brings out all the bad and neutral feedback. Saves having to go though pages.

Edited by dibbler69

The only thing I can say is the postage was a little high as it only cost $8 to send. Still worked out cheaper than alot of the second hand ones that were being sold at the same time.

If you are concerned about sellers on ebay a good page is http://www.toolhaus.org/ You can put a sellers name in and it brings out all the bad and neutral feedback. Saves having to go though pages.

I'll definetly use this. Thanks.

I still need to know if I am ok with purchasing an American GPS unit, for use in UK ? specifically to do with basemaps.

I'll definetly use this. Thanks.

I still need to know if I am ok with purchasing an American GPS unit, for use in UK ? specifically to do with basemaps.

Don't worry about the basemap as (US or European) it only gives you the equivalant of motorways and A-roads. The important thing to get is a copy of european mapsource - the maps on there are pretty good.