Wow Coin Sales On Eb*y Have Gone Down The Tube!

ghostwriter13

Guess I am approaching it from a poor-boy attitude, then - feeding other people's collections and fueling eBay sales in not how I want to spend my limited geocoin investment!

I applaud y'all for putting them out!

How's that working for ya? Do you have any last beyond 1 or 2 finders before they dissappear?

If you do I may try putting some out, as that's what I want my geocoins to do - travel!

If I want someone to keep it I'll give it to them unactivated.

With any luck at all mine will be in such poor demand that nobody will want to take one out of circulation!

Ed

I just started, but have released 7 different coins in the last 2 weeks: 2 NAM, 1 China, 1 Finland, 1 2006 USA, 1 Bad Andy and today 1 Kansas.

I drill a hole in them and attach a travel buddy tag that I purchase in 10 packs from geoswag. The heavy metal tags have all the standard TB page info on them including a link to gc.com to log the TB/coin. So far they're moving. It's an "experiment," so we'll see how it goes.

Basically if someone ever shows you their coin collection a few months from now and you see a bunch with drilled holes in them, then you know that person took 'em or got them from someone who is a thief, lol.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Basically if someone ever shows you their coin collection a few months from now and you see a bunch with drilled holes in them, then you know that person took 'em or got them from someone who is a thief, lol.

And if that happens then what? Do you personally contact them or just consider your coin lost?

I just started, but have released 7 different coins in the last 2 weeks: 2 NAM, 1 China, 1 Finland, 1 2006 USA, 1 Bad Andy and today 1 Kansas.

I drill a hole in them and attach a travel buddy tag that I purchase in 10 packs from geoswag. The heavy metal tags have all the standard TB page info on them including a link to gc.com to log the TB/coin. So far they're moving. It's an "experiment," so we'll see how it goes.

Cool idea! I may do the same! Just drill the ones I want to circulate, not the unactivated ones I give away.

I don't collect them and have no interest in selling them, but have no interest in building other people's collections either!

That new avatar, BTW, will be my first coin!

Huh - guess I could do TB tags instead of having them numbered!

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I've released over 3 dozen of my coins, and a handful of other trackable coins into caches all over the world. So far, they've all kept moving.

I'm sure some will end up in a collection, but so far so good.

I didn't drill them, gouge them or deface them in any way. I just gave them a goal to travel.

I've released over 3 dozen of my coins, and a handful of other trackable coins into caches all over the world. So far, they've all kept moving.

I'm sure some will end up in a collection, but so far so good.

I didn't drill them, gouge them or deface them in any way. I just gave them a goal to travel.

That's great to hear! My limited experience was with the first year's Alabama coin - every one I put out, or that someone I know put out, promptly disappeared!

The new Alabama coins might last an hour before they disapprear - as soon as one shows up online as being in a cache there's a dash to go steal it!

I have three in different design/order stages, it will be interesting to see how they last!

Ed

Hadn't looked at geocoins on egay in a while, but tonight I looked and saw a ton of coins that had no bids on them. I guess many of the completest have realized it is a loosing battle. Props to all those who sold their coins when the market was strong. :lol:

Simply supply and demand. It goes in cycles. Next week demand might be up again.

Join the Grand Experiment-Geocoin GiveAway......see the link below near my sig line...

We have over 200 coins in circulation right now........

The Grand Experment seems to be a great idea that is working great to get geocoins back in caches!

Even though I didn't get in on it, I kinda started my own little experment due to reading about it right JayBee? Oh yea, Thanks for getting that microcoin going for me out there on the west coast! :lol::o

Hadn't looked at geocoins on egay in a while, but tonight I looked and saw a ton of coins that had no bids on them. I guess many of the completest have realized it is a loosing battle. Props to all those who sold their coins when the market was strong. :o

Simply supply and demand. It goes in cycles. Next week demand might be up again.

Why is the supply supposed to start decreasing? Seems like those things are coming out faster than rabbits in heat and nobody is doing anything to slow things down......So the balloon is getting bigger and bigger.....

Anyhow, the same thing happened with Beanie Babies. I know my wife and daughter had over 100 and they had several that were worth something including an original Tabasco the Bull that was worth 500 bucks! I told them to sell but they couldn't part with the stupid THING. You know the rest of the story.....The company kept cranking out Beanie Babies and they over-saturated the market and it popped like a balloon. Now those darned Beanie Babies are in a box up in the attic. :lol:

And if that happens then what? Do you personally contact them or just consider your coin lost?

For the most part, consider it gone. However, if I saw it in person, I'd probably say something to the person to at least find out how the coin was aquired. Stealing is stealing. Truthfully, the way I have drilled most of them, I don't see why anyone would want to keep them.

Edited by AtlantaGal

That new avatar, BTW, will be my first coin!

Huh - guess I could do TB tags instead of having them numbered!

When is that new coin due to hit your hands? I'll have to find something else to trade ya for one :lol:

TB tags would be more expensive than having them numbered. The travel buddy tag I referred to has no number. It just beats the heck out of a printed TB sheet any day.

Can't wait to get the chance to move one of those Compass Rose coins along on it's way! :mad:

:o Enough already! I already feel bad they have been delayed a month, but quality over quantity is what I say.

Without saying too much, you won't be disappointed in your wait. :o

Hey Acorn, I know a little about the new Compass Rose coin.. :lol:

I received a little present for my 5K finds milestone from them and it is priceless to me!

That CoinsAndPins guy is alright in my book and tumbleweed too! :lol:

Thats a good idea. Do you mind if I use it?

Thats a good idea. Do you mind if I use it?

She didn't think of it first (nor did I) :laughing:

Thanks for the link to <link removed by moderator>. Good site.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Personally I got a lot of coins off of E to start with. Now I've decided to cut back on coins that was the first thing I decided to stop doing. I've found a good trading site and have made three trades via it already. I think forums, trading and the various coinstores are the way to go. I'm not on a mission to collect every coin or every icon, so I'm being more discrete about which I buy.

No more of that four letter word site for me. :laughing:

I really hope that it will lead to more geocoins in caches. I like helping travellers with their missions, and coins are nice and small travellers.

I know I will be putting several of the World Travel coin out into caches for travelling. Even some of the other geocoins i've obtained over the past several months.

I do have several coins out travelling already, 4 Wisconsin and 1 USA.

Edited by Not So Lost Puppies

Coins in caches? Dare you say!

I went on a 10 mile hike yesterday with 4 others and hit about 10 caches. Between us I think we dropped 12 coins, some travelers and some swag.

I think the fallout is good and bad. I think it's helped make all coins not so desireable since people realzie they can't collect them all - giving them a chance to survive. The more coins out there, the less rare they are.

The bad side: there are some REALLY bad coins being designed now. No longer personal coins or even state/org/association coins, but coins made for the sake of making coins and $$. (yes, a bit off topic but related IMO).

Set them all free!

(except the ones in my collection of course :laughing: )

Coins may not be fetching quite the price they were a couple of months ago but they're still plenty high. At least high enough to cause people to be interested in geocoins for monetary gain over the interest in the coin itself or geocaching. Consider a coin that you buy for $8.00. If you wait around for three months to get it and sell it on eBay for a paltry $12.00, that's a 50% return on your investment. If you use your same $8.00 to do the same thing three more times over the course of the year, that would mean a 200% annual return on your money. Compare that to a savings account that pays maybe 3% per year.

With the number of coins coming out, prices will probably keep decreasing but I suspect there will be some very good high quality coins that will still hold their value. I think the deals that some coin manufacturers have where they offer to mint any coin you dream up and give you free coins plus a share of the profits will have to come to an end soon because people will realize they can't get a complete set and only buy coins that really have something to offer.

BTW, I've not sold any coins personally.

Hadn't looked at geocoins on egay in a while, but tonight I looked and saw a ton of coins that had no bids on them. I guess many of the completest have realized it is a loosing battle. Props to all those who sold their coins when the market was strong. :laughing:

Well, that may be, but I've been selling off my spare geocoins for months now and I've never had one go unsold. And they all go for more than I paid for them.

Last night wasn't such a great night over all for eBay geocoin sales, but they seemed to pick back up tonight and are comparable to what I have been watching for the past several weeks.

It could be that bidders were on away on a long weekend and weren't at their computers last night. Now that they're back home, they start bidding again.

Guess I am approaching it from a poor-boy attitude, then - feeding other people's collections and fueling eBay sales in not how I want to spend my limited geocoin investment!

I applaud y'all for putting them out!

How's that working for ya? Do you have any last beyond 1 or 2 finders before they dissappear?

If you do I may try putting some out, as that's what I want my geocoins to do - travel!

If I want someone to keep it I'll give it to them unactivated.

With any luck at all mine will be in such poor demand that nobody will want to take one out of circulation!

Ed

Another Tennessee Microcoin went out in a cache today to see if it will travel. More to come soon.............

[That's great to hear! My limited experience was with the first year's Alabama coin - every one I put out, or that someone I know put out, promptly disappeared!

The new Alabama coins might last an hour before they disapprear - as soon as one shows up online as being in a cache there's a dash to go steal it!

I have three in different design/order stages, it will be interesting to see how they last!

Ed

That first Alabama coin was also tracked through travelertags.com -- nice guys, but coins were a PITA to track there at best!

I finally gave in and bid on a Winter MiGO since I can't find anyone that will trade me for one. The auction ended on Sunday, and I got the coin for $60, which is more than I'd like to pay, but a lot less then I've seen any others go for. Usually around $150 when I've been watching. Now all I need is a Fall MiGO, and that collection will be complete. :D

Edited by Redwing_dave

Congrats Dave :-D You'll have to bring that sometime and let me see it.

Now a couple thoughts - I've got about 8 coins in caches, and of the ones I've released, only one has "disappeared". Since it was on its way to Mexico and there is not a reliable mail service, it may show up yet.. or not. (Didn't really worry too much if that one got lost.)

In the meantime, re sending them out.

I have taken to putting florescent green labels on the cases that the coins are in that say "Travel coin, log me, do not keep" around the edges. Then, I've covered it over and over and over again in packing tape. IN order to get the packing tape off the case and then to the coin, they'll have to literally cut through and damage the coin. :-D Plus, since the bright green labels are on there, they're pretty noticible and hard to miss that that coin is supposed to move.

My thoughts from the edge...

I released a lot of coins and they circulated pretty good for awhile. Like travel bugs though, they seem to meet their demise eventually. I agree, theft rate on coins is much higher and cachers seem to hang onto them longer than a conventional bug. I am glad to see the prices coming down on EBAY, a few people had to be on the get rich quick scheme. Maybe I can get a few more bought, there are some out there that I would really like to have. Between my two accounts, I have over 90 travelbugs out and over 50 coins floating around the caching world someplace. It has been fun to watch them wander about. Glen

Hadn't looked at geocoins on egay in a while, but tonight I looked and saw a ton of coins that had no bids on them. I guess many of the completest have realized it is a loosing battle. Props to all those who sold their coins when the market was strong.

I tell you what. My mom has been buying them up like they are going out of style! She has bought something like 15 in the past 3 days off of Ebay! :cute:

There seems to be alot more last minute bidding. Most of the spare coins I've been selling has done good.

I was very surprised this didn't happen sooner. Although I have not bought or sold Geocoins on eBay, I often put items on a watch list, and let eBay send me e-mail when the auction is ending soon. I can decided then, to "snipe" (last minute bidding) if the price is right, or ignore it and remove it from my watch list.

There seems to be alot more last minute bidding. Most of the spare coins I've been selling has done good.

I was very surprised this didn't happen sooner. Although I have not bought or sold Geocoins on eBay, I often put items on a watch list, and let eBay send me e-mail when the auction is ending soon. I can decided then, to "snipe" (last minute bidding) if the price is right, or ignore it and remove it from my watch list.

Sniping is a very common practice among experienced bidders. I usually place 1 bid, within a few seconds of the auction ending.

As far as sales "going down the tubes" goes.... The prices have dropped as the supply has increased. I would say that the current prices are more realistic than they were a few weeks ago. The volume of sales has definately increased and the vast majority of coins have ended with bids. Very few end with no bids.