Are There Any National Parks That Allow Geocaches?

TeamVilla5

The site guidelines say:

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):
  • Caches on land maintained by the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges)

That sounds like a pretty resounding no.

Actually, it sounds more like a resounding statement that even an answer of "yes" would be irrelevant. :lol:

Yet there ARE caches on NPS land. Like everything else, it's who you are and who you know - and the guidelines are just that - guidelines, subject to subjective interpretation, and not rules.

I understand that there are a handful of caches on NPS lands with the park management's permission. None in national parks that I'm aware of, but some smaller historical parks managed by the NPS.

But its not a matter of who you are and who you know, its a matter of having permission.

I'm aware of what the guidelines say, but I'm also aware that it could very well be possible that some parks/areas under NPS control could allow them in their specific parks with permission. I was just wondering if anyone was aware of any like that! Thanks again!

Happy Caching!

Lori V.

TeamVilla5

I'm aware of two National Recreation Areas, administered by NPS, where the on-site staff permitted some geocaches. They were Delaware Water Gap NRA and New River Gorge National River. But once higher levels of management at the NPS became aware of this, permission was revoked.

So, to paraphrase an earlier post, it's not who you know, but how high up they are!