New Version - National Geographic Topo! State Series

I am looking to purchase the National Geographic TOPO! State Series for Georgia and I noticed that there is a new version that cover 3 states instead of one. I have not determined the difference between the state bundles and the individual states. Has anyone reviewed or purchased the newer version yet? I could not find the newer bundle on the NG online store.

The new versions of the National geograpic state series also include GPX file support, They also include PC as well as Mac versions on the software.

With the scale, 1/24000 one cm equals 240m on a printed map but how important is it on a computer screen or GPS ?

Do these computerised US TOPO map allow rescaling to standard scale like 1/25000 for printing and can we change the displayed unit to be standard ?

Or are they simply scanned regular topos ?

They are scanned USGS topogrpahic maps, that is why they are 1:24000 scale.

They can also be veiwed as 1:100,000 USGS topogrpahic scale maps, 1:500,000 USGS regional scale maps, and at two National Geographic atlas layers.

NG topo maps cannot be loaded onto a GPS, so you cannnot view them on a GPS screen

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I am looking to purchase the National Geographic TOPO! State Series for Georgia ...

Just a note of warning regarding NG Topo! - A fundamental flaw in the NG Topo! application affects users who also want to use Pocket Topo! on a Palm or Pocket PC PDA device. Specifically, there is no way to transfer waypoints from the PC-based Topo! application to Pocket Topo!.

For example, say you have used GSAK to take a whole nest of geocaches in a GPX file and convert them to a nest of Topo! compatible waypoints so you can see them on a PC-based Topo! map. Great! However, if you then want to transfer those waypoints to your PDA to take with you - you are out of luck.

This has been a known issue for a looooong time. Frankly, I'm amazed with this glaring omission, especially since it severely limits the usefulness of NG Topo!. I've had email correspondence with Topo! support regarding this issue, but they are pretty insistent that they won't fix it. :laughing:

TM

I agree that's a big shortcoming with NG Pocket Topo. A sort of way around it for small amounts of caches let's say in a park you intend to hit, is to change the waypoints to text labels. Text labels transfer to your PPC.

First select Waypoint tool. Right click on all the waypoints one at a time and select "Create Text Label". After all the waypoint are done (you'll have long labels at this point) select the Text tool. Then select all the Text labels one at a time and convert to a simple text. I use a,b,c,d etc.

Text labels are transferred to the GPS and will show in the Pocket Topo map. You can select and go to.

It's not perfect but it does work.

Edited by Alan2

I am looking to purchase the National Geographic TOPO! State Series for Georgia ...

Just a note of warning regarding NG Topo! - A fundamental flaw in the NG Topo! application affects users who also want to use Pocket Topo! on a Palm or Pocket PC PDA device. Specifically, there is no way to transfer waypoints from the PC-based Topo! application to Pocket Topo!.

For example, say you have used GSAK to take a whole nest of geocaches in a GPX file and convert them to a nest of Topo! compatible waypoints so you can see them on a PC-based Topo! map. Great! However, if you then want to transfer those waypoints to your PDA to take with you - you are out of luck.

This has been a known issue for a looooong time. Frankly, I'm amazed with this glaring omission, especially since it severely limits the usefulness of NG Topo!. I've had email correspondence with Topo! support regarding this issue, but they are pretty insistent that they won't fix it. :laughing:

TM

Well I just met with two of the NG personal last week at a trade show, they are planning to correct that issue but it is going to take some time. I don't know who you talked to, but the my contact is higher up the ladder at NG and my guess is that the tech support people are not kept up to date on what is being planned.

Well I just met with two of the NG personal last week at a trade show, they are planning to correct that issue but it is going to take some time...

They've already had a lot of time on this one. I (and others) have been beefing to them about it for at least a year and a half.

TM

I think the latest ver of NG Topo is 4.1.5

Oh Yeah, and Jonny Vegas said above that the latest version is compatible with GPX files......I believe that is only PARTIALLY true. It will import only waypoints and routes, but not tracks. Da Pits!

Some of their software literature says "Import & Export" GPX files. If anyone can find how to export a GPX file from Topo, I sure would like to know how! Topo won't save data in GPX format so where would you find it to export it?