Uploading Maps To Explorist 210

d hedges 210

i just got two mapsend programs for my gps to upload maps as u all know u have to select regions and when u save them they end up as *.rgn

now the conversion manager that came with the gps uploads only *.imi or *.mgi

i need to know how to convert *.rgn to *.imi or*.mgi if u know how please let me know this really frustrating <_<

The defined region parameters are saved as an rgn file, but that's not a map file. In Topo3D you then have to select region/upoad to GPS from the menu. That brings up a dialog window allowing you to specify where you want to send the file. If you specify Hard Drive while your 210 is connected, you can navigate to the proper folder and send it directly there. Or, if you put the file on your hard drive, you can use Windows Explorer to copy the file to your 210. No conversion should be needed (so long as you are using a compatible version of MapSend.

Yep...here are the programs that Magellan sells compatible with the Explorist (don't get too freaked by the prices listed; Magellan charges top dollar and the US programs are available elsewhere for about half as much).

Edit: That link doesn't exactly work right; they haven't integrated the 210 into the listing yet. But the programs in the right margin--DirectRoute and Topo3D--are the ones of interest.

Edited by embra

that sux i hate this sport its so expensive but wat a rush when u find them

Well, no and yes. I have an eXplorist 200 (USD $149.00) and I have found many caches without further expense (other than gasoline and burger/beer in the nearest bar). I think it's pretty cheap entertainment, actually, and you're correct that it's a rush to find them.

The defined region parameters are saved as an rgn file, but that's not a map file. In Topo3D you then have to select region/upoad to GPS from the menu. That brings up a dialog window allowing you to specify where you want to send the file. If you specify Hard Drive while your 210 is connected, you can navigate to the proper folder and send it directly there. Or, if you put the file on your hard drive, you can use Windows Explorer to copy the file to your 210. No conversion should be needed (so long as you are using a compatible version of MapSend.

Ok, so I have a similar problem. Maps saved in Topo as .rgn but have to have them in .imi or .mgi to upload to Magellan eXplorist 400...

But when, in Topo, I select "Upload to GPS", I get "Cannot connect GPS unit on COM 1" or COM-port 3. In the Test mode, the computer cannot detect the GPS on "Com3". This is dumb because the device connects to the computer via USB. And I've had no problems downloading cache points, so I know it's not the USB that is the current problem.

If anybody can solve this, you will be my hero forever.

"Connect to your computer via handy USB connection" Yep, mine hooks right up to my computer.....BUT you need the latest Version of mapsend (with copy wright protection) to load map info. I am OK with protecting your product (mapsend) but my 210 will not give or take waypoints from Delorme's Topo USA.

I have also just found out that with Easy gps you can not have the program set to download cache waypoint as the cache name, it needs to be set as the cache ID. This little glitch put my 210 out of the game for the weekend, good thing my Garmins are reliable.

Sorry, seemed like a good place to vent. For the most part I like my Magellan, it just has one heck of a learning curve.

Ok, so I have a similar problem. Maps saved in Topo as .rgn but have to have them in .imi or .mgi to upload to Magellan eXplorist 400...

But when, in Topo, I select "Upload to GPS", I get "Cannot connect GPS unit on COM 1" or COM-port 3. In the Test mode, the computer cannot detect the GPS on "Com3". This is dumb because the device connects to the computer via USB. And I've had no problems downloading cache points, so I know it's not the USB that is the current problem.

I have an eXplorist 210, which I think is similar in the way it loads map regions. Upload to GPS direct via COM 1 or 3 doesn't apply here, those are for serial port (old 9 pin d-style connector) transfer. You need to use the USB connection, select Upload to GPS, instead of a com port, select save to hard drive and select a location (hard drive or 400 internal memory). Somewhere in the save process you'll be prompted to type the serial number of your gps. This is what tells Mapsend what kind of file to create. There are two serial numbers in your eXplorist. One is stored on internal memory (on the 210 - 400 should be similar - press MENU, scroll to ABOUT, press select and the SN should come up). The other SN is on a sticker inside the battery case. Try one, then the other until you get the type of file you need.

Good Luck

Edit:

One other thing, if you can't communicate with the eXplorist via USB - first make sure the cable connected to the gps is pointing down toward the battery cover. Magellan didn't make the USB connector to attach in just one direction. Hello Magellan Design Engineers are you reading this?

Edited by bktraveling

Yeah! It worked! Kind of...

I was able to sucessfully download maps from MapSend Topo 3D USA. Where they went, however, I do not know because I am unable to view them on the GPS. I've changed the map detail to high, zoomed in to .4 miles and higher. Nothing. I've tried turning on the Detail Map, but there are no maps there.

Upload cable is attached in the proper orientation.

Even checked to see if the disc was one of the defective ones, but we purchased it in Jan 06 and Magelan says only discs shipped in Nov 05 are defective. And anyway, the disc installed and runs so I think it's OK.

I am about to give up on this mess.

Edited by rana&sis

I have an eXplorist 210, which I think is similar in the way it loads map regions. Upload to GPS direct via COM 1 or 3 doesn't apply here, those are for serial port (old 9 pin d-style connector) transfer. You need to use the USB connection, select Upload to GPS, instead of a com port, select save to hard drive and select a location (hard drive or 400 internal memory). Somewhere in the save process you'll be prompted to type the serial number of your gps. This is what tells Mapsend what kind of file to create. There are two serial numbers in your eXplorist. One is stored on internal memory (on the 210 - 400 should be similar - press MENU, scroll to ABOUT, press select and the SN should come up). The other SN is on a sticker inside the battery case. Try one, then the other until you get the type of file you need.

Good Luck

Edit:

One other thing, if you can't communicate with the eXplorist via USB - first make sure the cable connected to the gps is pointing down toward the battery cover. Magellan didn't make the USB connector to attach in just one direction. Hello Magellan Design Engineers are you reading this?

Wow! The thing about the additional serial number worked for me. I have the Magellan eXplorist 500 LE and had issues with the MapSend Topo3D USA. I was one of the lucky ones to acquire the defective software that needed to be replaced and so today when I finally recieved the replacement copy - I installed it and got to work setting a better basemap/detailed map for my area. I could not download to the GPS itself, and as per the manual - I saved it to the hard drive and it saved in the .rgn format that the conversion program would not recognize. Until finding this thread, I was about to give up and tell them to shove the software *youknowwhere* but i tried the serial number trick and it worked!!! Without any further steps, the GPS set the new region as the detailed map immediately after installing it and looks great!!

Thanks for the tips yall!

Edited by SassyChickyMomma

I was able to sucessfully download maps from MapSend Topo 3D USA. Where they went, however, I do not know because I am unable to view them on the GPS. I've changed the map detail to high, zoomed in to .4 miles and higher. Nothing. I've tried turning on the Detail Map, but there are no maps there.

If you seemed to download the maps to the GPS but can't find them, are you sure you are looking in the right place? When I first got my 500, I was getting things onto the SD card but couldn't see the files in Active Setup (Active Map in the 2.57 firmware). I finally figured out that I was looking at the default folders in internal memory. I had to go up one level until I could choose SD memory, and then I was plopped into the correct folder that held the files.

You might be able to see enough information to identify if you are in internal or SD memory on the top line of the Detail Map screen, but this information might be clipped off.

Edited by embra

If you seemed to download the maps to the GPS but can't find them, are you sure you are looking in the right place? When I first got my 500, I was getting things onto the SD card but couldn't see the files in Active Setup (Active Map in the 2.57 firmware). I finally figured out that I was looking at the default folders in internal memory. I had to go up one level until I could choose SD memory, and then I was plopped into the correct folder that held the files.

You might be able to see enough information to identify if you are in internal or SD memory on the top line of the Detail Map screen, but this information might be clipped off.

It definately did not save to the SD memory as the card is not in the device

Good Luck

Edit:

Wow! The thing about the additional serial number worked for me. I have the Magellan eXplorist 500 LE and had issues with the MapSend Topo3D USA. I was one of the lucky ones to acquire the defective software that needed to be replaced and so today when I finally recieved the replacement copy - I installed it and got to work setting a better basemap/detailed map for my area. I could not download to the GPS itself, and as per the manual - I saved it to the hard drive and it saved in the .rgn format that the conversion program would not recognize. Until finding this thread, I was about to give up and tell them to shove the software *youknowwhere* but i tried the serial number trick and it worked!!! Without any further steps, the GPS set the new region as the detailed map immediately after installing it and looks great!!

Were you able to install your defective copy?

Good Luck

Edit:

Were you able to install your defective copy?

It installed, but never would run the program. The new CDs arrived, installed and ran perfectly. I have been having way too much fun with the new maps. LOL :anicute: