Hilton Falls Loop Gcrdc1 Group Gang Caching

Couparangus

I don't see any reason why the 24 Hour Cache Machine shouldn't be allowed to host an Event, even if it is to celebrate the success.

As long as it isn't restricted to participants of the 24 Cache Machine, and allow anyone that wants to hear tales of adventure attend.... what would prevent an Event Listing?

I mean, come on... if you put up an Event, and just happen to go caching for 24 hours beforehand... that shouldn't be any cause for concern.

Same goes for the this endevour, but I have no interest in setting up an Event.

:rolleyes: The Blue Quasar

Okay, I'm not going to even try for an event cache. This will have to be word-of-mouth only. I suggest everyone who is interested in the day hike email me to confirm and I will create a mailing list and advise all. This should get around the problem that some of us have of not being able to visit this site from work computers. This hike very much depends on good weather so we won't know 'til the last minute if its a go.

My email can be found in my profile.

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

Well... if JTEE is going, then count me IN!

I hate walking alone, and if JTEE wasn't there for Algonquin Bound's "Bruce Almighty", I shudder to think :)

{mutter mutter, whole day waiting for the 'pokey people', between 'yes, I guess we can rest, if we have to' and 'oh thank goodness for radios or we'd never know how far behind they are'} :)

So, it worked out perfect... we were first on the scene, and got the extra searching time we needed.

:) The Blue Quasar

edit: typo... not sarcasm

Edited by The Blue Quasar

Okay, here's the list I have so far:

Coupar Angus

Dave + Jen

Buttons & Beaux

Jefftrex

Amazon Annie

Juiciepig

Hamgran

Puddlemaster

Blue Magnavox

Jtee

Tomtec

Olar

Let me know about additions/deletions. I suggest a starting time of 9AM sharp in the parking lot at N43 30.360 W79 57.692

Please find attached pictures of myself & vehicle for easy identification.

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

Mr.Bean.gif

seidman.JPG

If anyone is interested in placing a vehicle (or two) somewhere around the perimeter maybe we can meet earlier ? I am one of the people that BQ was complaining about being "pokey" (not from lack of trying to keep up) and I do not want to hold the gang up as my legs are much shorter and don't move as fast as most of you. When you are at the back of the line, you don't get to rest at all.

I have my doubts whether I will be able to complete the mission (especially at your speed) in a day but I would like to attempt at least part of it. I'd like to leave my vehicle at 6th Line - is someone willing to pick me up there before 9am? We could have another at Hwy 25 (around Greystone Easy) or Nassagaweya-Esquesing Town Line too I suppose just for emergencies.

If anyone is interested in placing a vehicle (or two) somewhere around the perimeter maybe we can meet earlier?

That's a great idea... We could always load them up with extra water and a snack... save carrying everything for 25k. I'll likely be driving down with the Van, so depending on who is carpooling with me, there should be enough room for one or two more.

Though if the weather is nice, I may just decide to break the bike out early this year...

int_01_03.jpg

Hey C-A, think you can keep up with me?

He he

TOMTEC

A word of warning for those contemplating this series:

The region of Halton posted an announcement in our local paper here that 6th Line Nassagaweya will be CLOSED between 5th and 15th sideroad from June to September, for replacement of a bridge.

I'm not sure which bridge is being replaced, but I know that the Hilton Falls Side Trail DOES cross one bridge on this road, and that the creek is a little wide/deep for hiking across. Swimming maybe but not hiking. Water can be a little nasty there too.

What this means is that cars will have to go around and hikers may find themselves standing at the creek 5 hours into their hike. So I'd recommend the night crew get out there before June if we can.

The region of Halton posted an announcement in our local paper here that 6th Line Nassagaweya will be CLOSED between 5th and 15th sideroad from June to September, for replacement of a bridge.

I think we'll manage to get this cache done prior to June. :lol:

Hey C-A, think you can keep up with me?

Yikes! I hope this bike includes a funeral wreath as part of its standard equipment!

I do not want to hold the gang up as my legs are much shorter and don't move as fast as most of you

If you get tired I'd be more than happy to get Tomtec to give you a ride on his shoulders. :huh: That ought to slow him down enough for ALL of us to keep up. ;)

As for Annie... I'd slow down to walk with you anytime!

After about 10km I don't think any of us will have the "need for speed" anymore.

C-A

Well, I just looked more closely at the trail map in that area, looks like it may be hikable after all. Cars will still have to go around though. I'd suggest a drive-by first for anyone caching June 19th to September 26th though.

Okay, I'm not going to even try for an event cache. This will have to be word-of-mouth only. I suggest everyone who is interested in the day hike email me to confirm and I will create a mailing list and advise all. This should get around the problem that some of us have of not being able to visit this site from work computers. This hike very much depends on good weather so we won't know 'til the last minute if its a go.

My email can be found in my profile.

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

Technical details of permanent failure:

PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

Why don't you try and contact me through my profile :unsure:

After yesterday's muddy off-road cycling trip with 2 kids in the bike trailer (they seem to like the bumps & hills!) I was starting to think I was running out of energy too quickly. That said, we managed to pass a bunch of mountain bikers half my age (yikes I can't believe that's true!). One of them said to his buddy, "And here I thought we were hard-core!". So I think I'm up for the challenge of Hilton. :(

I'm going to try hard to make it, but I can't start until probably around 12:30-1:00pm - too late for the early crowd and way too early for the night gang! -_- If anyone else has been considering this, but can't make it early, let me know. Otherwise, I'll just be playing catch-up, which means I'll likely just see everyone at the "apres event". This works out for me, since my reluctance and the reason I hadn't already jumped on board, was that doing such a challenging cache with a large group wasn't too appealing, yet I'd love the opportunity to see everyone.

Sunny and 6C right now for Saturday

Sounds good to me! As long as the trails are not a complete muddy mess, anything North of freezing is good!

So, Annie & Olar (and anyone else planning to leave a vehicle along the route for relief purposes) we should plan our rendezvous pickup locations for Saturday morning. Right now it looks like I'll have Coupar-Anus and Juicepig along with me in the van, so there is lots of room for you guys too!

TOMTEC

vang08.sized.jpg

Edited by TOMTEC
I had set +10C with no chance of precipitation as the "target" weather. We're not there yet.

I suggest we decide on Friday evening. Let's set a deadline of 9PM on this forum.

Agreed?

Agreed... it looks great out there right now but if we get a noticeable amount of precipitation between tonight and Friday then the extra 10lbs of mud per boot would worry me. Of course Tomtec is carrying me on his back so maybe it won't be such a worry. I'll walk along the parts that are at the escarpment edge though. :unsure:

I remember stages 1, 2 and 3 of the GeoPoker Tour were pretty wet and that was in the winter. I don't know if I can get out there and check out the trails before Saturday but it looks like just past Stage 1 was under water on March 19th. That's about 3 weeks back so I'm guessing it will be okay. I'm not sure how far we will get towards Guelph Line but Olar reported the trail underwater by MULTI-AGREEMENT CURRIE TRACT that was a few metres from my Luke Skywalker cache. I may carry my 'wellies' !

So, Annie & Olar (and anyone else planning to leave a vehicle along the route for relief purposes) we should plan our rendezvous pickup locations for Saturday morning. Right now it looks like I'll have Coupar-Anus and Juicepig along with me in the van, so there is lots of room for you guys too!

I will volunteer to leave my vehicle at 6th Line parking lot. That's about 5 mins (by road) from the start of the hike and I'm guessing about 2/3 of the way through? I can meet you there at 8:30am.

I will volunteer to leave my vehicle at 6th Line parking lot. That's about 5 mins (by road) from the start of the hike and I'm guessing about 2/3 of the way through? I can meet you there at 8:30am.

More like 1/3 of the way thru if I remember correctly :)

Tony

Coup!

Can I get a recap....?

Saturday April 8th, be at the parking coordinates NO LATER than 9am right?

Are you contacting everyone in that list you've been keeping? Or relying on this thread?

And who do you show as possibly/definitely attending?

I assume we are all packing lunches etc for ourselves.

:) The Blue Quasar (although I did own a Magnavox Odyssey 2 video game system - Very Retro-Chic!)

Other great links... to the World's First Video Game System (home console) {Yes... before the Atari 2600}

O2 - site 2

O2 - site 3

Edited by The Blue Quasar
More like 1/3 of the way thru if I remember correctly

Ah.... right! I was going backwards (as usual?)

We cross 6th Line, Nassagaweya-Esquesing Townline (near Prickles Pond parking) and get near Hwy 25 then back and cross Dublin townline (maybe?) (and Tremaine from above? <shudder>).

So I'm guessing one by Greystone Easy (St. Helena off Hwy 25) is a better spot. Who knows with Nozzletime - whatever route he picks won't be an easy one and that's why we're doing this ... right?

More like 1/3 of the way thru if I remember correctly

Ah.... right! I was going backwards (as usual?)

We cross 6th Line, Nassagaweya-Esquesing Townline (near Prickles Pond parking) and get near Hwy 25 then back and cross Dublin townline (maybe?) (and Tremaine from above? <shudder>).

So I'm guessing one by Greystone Easy (St. Helena off Hwy 25) is a better spot. Who knows with Nozzletime - whatever route he picks won't be an easy one and that's why we're doing this ... right?

Hey Annie. I just sent you an email with a Mapsource file showing some tracks and waypoints. Hopefully we can make an educated guess as to where Nozzletime will be taking us. :)

Cheers, Olar

I assume we are all packing lunches etc for ourselves.

I heard a rumor that TomTec was going to pack a stove and cooler on his back so that we can have a hot lunch with beverages. :) Actually if some of us are going to park our vehicles at a half-way point then we could have a tailgate party for lunch. This is sounding better and better all the time.

Cheers, Olar

I heard a rumor that TomTec was going to pack a stove and cooler on his back so that we can have a hot lunch with beverages.

Actually, I was going to try and order a pizza... 30 minutes or free right? The tailgate lunch idea sounds good though!

TOMTEC

So... Tomtec has on his back: Annie, a stove and a cooler and now Annie's vehicle, with the built-in picnic table, plus he'll have to stop and put it all down, cos Annie doesn't cook. That oughta slow him down enough for me to catch-up. Tankity-tank, tankity-tank. :P

And Annie, the good thing about having such muddy boots is that it makes it easy and quick to just slide across metal bridges. <_<

Less than 1 cm of snow and 10-15 mm of rain (1/2 inch) between now and then (it's raining now)... that isn't toooo bad I suppose. It will be -3 (-9 with the windchill) to start us off in the morning. I just talked with BQ and he's really iffy about tomorrow. Doesn't sound promising for him.

Wind from the north... hmmm... well that always makes for a fun time around my place (whew, gotta love farm country!) <_<

And Annie, the good thing about having such muddy boots is that it makes it easy and quick to just slide across metal bridges.

With regards to that bridge... I know AB - I've been trying not to think of it. <shudder> Oh the nightmares.... I can't run across it if it's muddy and slippery.

Well, weather usually doesn't stop me. I got hurt at work on Wednesday, though, and am still in a bit of discomfort - and I don't know how a 24 km. hike would work for me tomorrow.

So, unless this glass of wine that I'm drinking right now miraculously cures me, I probably won't be there in the morning.

Bummer - I was really looking forward to this!

PumpkinOneA did the hike last Sunday and reported no problems at that time, as far as excessive mud or road/bridge closures.

Have a great hike!

- hamgran

With the amount of precip we've received today, and the wind chill expected tomorrow, I'm suggesting a postponment for another Saturday. In my opinion, if the weather isn't good it'll turn an otherwise enjoyable outing into misery. This is a very l-o-n-g hike and I'd really like to see everyone complete it in good spirits.

Shall we re-schedule for April 15th or 22nd?

C-A

Rescheduling the Hilton Falls hike is fine by me, the 15th could work... So... who still wants to go caching tomorrow? Maybe not the 25k hike, but I've got a bunch of caches in the Georgetown area calling my name... There is a nice Letterbox series that is a descent hike!

TOMTEC

if its very muddy and wet its not going to be all that much fun..i dont know if i will be here for

the 15th as its easter wkend and i am probably heading up to timmins to see my mom.. all

depending of course on the availability of flights for me..29th works better for me but i guess the

date will depend on what the majority of the group want.

tomtec, is that the gest letterbox that you are talking about? i still have a few caches

in the georgetown area to do..i'd be up for that tomorrow!

Edited by jtee

Hey, we could always do it on the 22nd and make a CITO event out of it. <_< With the 15th being a long weekend then maybe the 29th is next best.

Darned weather. I had my GPSr and PDA all loaded up and ready to go. Guess I gotta stay home now and watch golf, curling and baseball on TV. Better check my stock of popcorn.

Later, Olar