Hilton Falls Loop Gcrdc1 Group Gang Caching

Couparangus

Howdy all!

Just thought I'd float this idea out there. We're planning a group attempt on this cache and have 4 so far. Let me know here or via email if you'd be interested in coming along with some highly-skilled Geocaching pioneers. <_< No date has been set for this yet but would likely be a Saturday or Sunday.

This is a pretty serious cache and not for everyone so have a good read of the description to see if you're up for it. <_<

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

Excellent! I think doing it at night would be more of a challenge than I'd be up to though. I'm scared of all those critters that come out at night with their reflective eyes, sharp claws and big teeth. And those pesky vampire bats that always get caught in your hair. Let's not forget about the abominable snowmen that frequent the forests too....

:lol:

Cheers!

C-A

xin_8f9aadecccd811d7b21c0001030784d9_yeti.jpg

Don't have to worry about sunblock that time of day :laughing:

Gee I don't know about that!! I've seen some of those "intensity enhanced BFL's" a few times and I'm sure a 45 Sunblock is highly recommended. :laughing:

I'm with Charliezulu on the "after snow - before bugs" idea.

Cheers, Olar

Count me in!

I'm in with the day crowd - a chance to spend a day hunting with the likes of CA, CZ, Olar and even that BQ fella. I'd prefer the no-snow option too - knowing that tract of land and having covered a good part of the escarpment trail in snow, I'd rather not do that again (although at night the height of the bridge wouldn't bother me as much!). If you search for all the caches nearby I might actually be able to keep up with you guys.

Hey this is great! This should be a good outing. And if Tomtec is involved rest assured there is no detour too long to grab other caches in the area. I had the 2 biggest blisters of my life after doing the Bruce Almighty in one day with Tomtec and Spike. Right on the balls of my heels too - ouch. I had to walk like a ballerina for a few days. :D

C-A

Hey this is great! This should be a good outing. And if Tomtec is involved rest assured there is no detour too long to grab other caches in the area. I had the 2 biggest blisters of my life after doing the Bruce Almighty in one day with Tomtec and Spike. Right on the balls of my heels too - ouch. I had to walk like a ballerina for a few days. :D

C-A

Ok, where are the night participants? Parts of that trail provide a specatular view of the city at night - believe me it's worth it. Bruce Almighty had some nice views too, especially at that spot the Keith got a little too close to the edge.... :laughing:

Bruce Almighty was an absolute blast that night we did it. But I'll agree - the blisters were there for days. Must have been interesting knowing the routes TOMTEC likes to take (anything but direct, or flat, or navigable by mountain goat).

NP

Ok, where are the night participants? Parts of that trail provide a specatular view of the city at night - believe me it's worth it.

Just a note - Nozzletime has posted a "not recommended at night" attribute on the cache. Hilton Falls Conservation is closed at night and the route takes you through private property. Not sure if that would be considered trespassing but I just though you should be aware if you're planning a night hike. :cute:

Just a note - Nozzletime has posted a "not recommended at night" attribute on the cache. Hilton Falls Conservation is closed at night and the route takes you through private property. Not sure if that would be considered trespassing but I just though you should be aware if you're planning a night hike. :cute:

Pretty sure most of the route lies along the Bruce Trail, which is open all day and all night. Worth investigating but we've never had a problem. A lot of people get concerned about walking along the escarpment at night, perhaps due to that little drop on the right hand side.

I've been up and down those trails and I will say this much - be extremely cautious if you are hiking the escarpment edge near the Dufferin Quarry bridge when trail conditions are icy, as they are apt to be for the next few weeks. The trail does dip and doodle around and slope near the edge in a couple spots.

Night does not bother me much, just bring (a few) flashlights. I got myself a nice 7 LED focused flashlight at Walmart for like $15 and it puts out plenty of light, and lasts about 200 hours. Night caching (especially along the escarpment) is not for everyone, but for those that do venture out that way, it has very good spots for a long exposure camera shot toward Toronto.

Hmmm... let's see how this looks from a Cole Porter perspective (starting from top of thread)

NIGHT

Northern Penguin

Keith Watson

DAY

Coupar Angus

The Blue Quasar

Charliezulu

OLAR (I think)

Amazon Annie

I'm sure there are other people for both groups... I just don't know who

:cute: The Blue Quasar

Might as well add me to the KOTBFL night group if your counting.

Edited by Jiminie Crickets

I posted the not available at night because sections of the loop are not on secured property(Bruce trail doesn't own them).

The hiking along the edge of the escarpment is not a problem for me.

The main concern is the section that the Scouts have granted access too.

I didn't want to encourage poeple wandering through a Scout camp at night while kids are camping there, I am sure that would result in the loss of access if that happens.

Hilton Falls Conservation Area is also closed after sunset.

Add Tomtec to the day crew. He's currently caching in Latin America and originally suggested the group cache to Olar and I. I also received an email from Olar stating that he is about to start training for this cache too.

I'm not sure early morning strolls on a Cuban beach can be called "training". On the other hand I could pretend I'm on the Bruce Trail by zig-zagging along, stepping high over sand-castles and sunbathers, getting feet wet from the surf and swatting at imaginary bugs. Cuba does not allow any GPS units so I'll just have to hold my drinking mug out in front of me and hope it gets a satellite lock before I get lost. :laughing:

Cheers, Olar

I posted the not available at night because sections of the loop are not on secured property(Bruce trail doesn't own them).

The hiking along the edge of the escarpment is not a problem for me.

The main concern is the section that the Scouts have granted access too.

I didn't want to encourage poeple wandering through a Scout camp at night while kids are camping there, I am sure that would result in the loss of access if that happens.

Hilton Falls Conservation Area is also closed after sunset.

I just gave the BT office a call and inquired about night-hiking on official maintrail and sidetrails. They have no restrictions on night time use even if the trail does pass through private property. Of course the stay-on-trail rule applies no matter what time of day.

The Scout camp concern is certainly valid. Perhaps a call to the camp office alerting them of a group planning to pass through is wise. In fact the kids may even get a big kick out of all the bright lights. :laughing:

Olar

I would hate to do an event cache at Sunnybrook Hospital or worse, a funeral home!

I think the notion that it's unsafe to be hiking at night is highly overrated. Given an adequate light source, one is no more likely to walk off a cliff at night than one is to walk off a cliff in the daylight. Since we are talking about the KoBFL team here, 'adequate light source' is probably somewhat of an understatement :lol:

It does sound like fun for sure.

I wish I could put my name on a list but that wouldn't be fair as I know it is nowhere near my location.

If I could though I would participate with a Flashlight.

My flashlight isn' really a flashhlight though, it is a portable lighting system that can be carried by those strong enough. I like to think of it as a portable piece of sunlight myself.

It sure sounds like fun ! :D

Way to go Keith and Colin, it sounds neat Couparangus.

I have to go eat some waffles now.

Edited by wavector

CWACN? I like it!

Managed to return from Mexico without being murdered :blink: , so I'm up for a good hike! I'll stick with the day cachers for this one... hey, someone's gotta drag Annie across that bridge! :blink: Now we just wait for some good weather. What happened to that spring-like weather we had a few weeks ago?

TOMTEC

"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous..." - Buckminster Fuller

Is it just me or does there appear to be a disproportionate number of left-handed Geocachers out there?

When I got my first GPS receiver I read the manual (yes, I sometimes do that) and recall it mentioned that the unit was intended to be used in the left hand. Hmmm.... I wonder if this is because left-handed people get lost more often? :blink:

C-A

Hey count me in for the day crew. I have had this cache on my mind ever since it was publish and Res2100 asked me to come with him for a join FTF. but I was not able to make it.

When is this group expedition going to take place??

I know Dr Clean and Jtee are interested in doing this as a group event. I am only 14 caches away from my 900th find would like to do this one for thatmilestone. I have hiked the trail many times before I started geocaching.

This would be the first group attempt on this multi, the first 4 cachers did it solo.

I'm in for either day or night :-)

But it will need to be in April as I'm off to Europe on Friday for a couple weeks of tourist-ing... (I mean caching, but I haven't told the people that I'm going with yet!)

On the positive side, it won't be anywhere near as bad or difficult as Dex's 5/5 cache in that area even if we might walk close to some of the stages.

On the positive side, it won't be anywhere near as bad or difficult as Dex's 5/5 cache in that area even if we might walk close to some of the stages.

I don't know about that... I'm looking at the people who are signing up for the daytime hike and you all have legs as long as I am tall. Don't know that I will be able to keep up with you fellas! At least on Dex's 5/5 I had some people that walked at my pace. :laughing:

I think I'll suggest parking a vehicle 1/2 way or somewhere around 6th Line so that we have a) an emergency vehicle available and :lol: those of us that are not sure about their ability to conquer this in one go will have the ability to decide at that point. If I pulled my muscle again like I did in December then that would just be too far and you'd have to airlift me out.

Does that open it up to some people who are 'on the fence' about this?

I think I'll suggest parking a vehicle 1/2 way or somewhere around 6th Line so that we have a) an emergency vehicle available and :P those of us that are not sure about their ability to conquer this in one go will have the ability to decide at that point. If I pulled my muscle again like I did in December then that would just be too far and you'd have to airlift me out.

Does that open it up to some people who are 'on the fence' about this?

I was planning to park at a convenient "drop-out" point regardless just in case the old legs couldn't last the circuit. Maybe an official 3rd group could be formed to do the cache on two separate days like a Sat/Sun or a Sat/Sat. Whatever.

Olar

April 8th sounds good, Fizbot should be home from his Euro-Caching trip and can regale us on the trails with all is adventures.

I just hope there isn't as much mud out there as there is now! Do April showers bring May flowers?

Farmer's Almanac says:

April 2006

Avg. Temperature: 43° (4° below avg.)

Precipitation: 5.5" (2" above avg.)

Apr. 1-12: Chilly, periods of rain and snow

Apr. 13-19: Mild, rain

Apr. 20-30: Cool, showers

Hate to put a damper on things :rolleyes:

Wasn't that the night of a snow storm? I started for Stouffville but turned back. I guess that either makes me a wimp or wise. Or a wise wimp? Hmmm...it doesn't sound good no matter how you slice it.

Annie, I wouldn't believe that farmers almanac. Just listen to Harold H. on CFTR. The weather is usually the exact opposite of what he says. :P

CA gonna host an event ? :blink: .. make it 2 caches for the price of one! ( A high price, I am sure..)

If April 8 is the date, I can attend.

This is getting pretty close now... are we still talking about April 8th?

I don't get into Pearson until 7am that day (redeye from Las Vegas).... will someone bring a stretcher for me if I pass out in the first few klicks? :D:D

As far as I know, we're still a go! Let's hope for some warmer weather.

As for an event cache. I'm not sure if this could be considered one.

Maybe if it is in conjunction with some true event?

I would however like to give it a little more publicity 'cuz I know many cachers don't venture into the forums.

C-A

As for an event cache. I'm not sure if this could be considered one.

Maybe if it is in conjunction with some true event?

C-A

Pretty sure this will get turned down for an event cache. The 24Hour cache machine has tried to get 'event' cache designation before but Groundspeak wasn't too keen on that.

Setup a pub night around it and you've got a chance.