Cache Bonus Round Good For A Second Smiley

BillsBayou

I'm looking to do a cache that's difficult enough to be a 5 on difficulty. When you find the cache, you can sign the log book, trade, etc... The cache will point you to a bonus round where you can get a second find on the cache. It'll either point you to the next cache container or the first stage of a short multi-cache.

Seems like a good idea to me. Thus, according to my theory that all good caching ideas have already been discussed <_< , please Markwell me (either by thread or cache).

I do seem to remember such a thing being discussed, but I can't remember the concensus.

If you are creating a regular bonus cache where you have to find just one cache I don't see that there is much of an issue.

I don't see where this would be a second smilie though. You're finding another cache. That's two for two.

Another example of a double-smiley cache: The Short and The Long Of It - not five star, but it consists of a short trad cache for the first smiley, where you'll find the coords to start a longer multi if you'd like to earn a second smiley.

Another approach might be to make the "bonus" cache an unknown/mystery cache - i.e., a completely separate cache listing, posted coords at a random point in the general area, and a description that the real coords are contained inside the container for your initial D5 cache. People can still get credit for two finds, because they're logging two separate caches. (I think this is the kind of setup that CR was picturing.)

I have a Bonus Cache. Partial coordinate data in three other hides. You could simply put the full coordinate info in the logbook of your 5 difficulty cache, and give the bonus cache its own listing: an Unknown/Mystery type cache coords to be found in the 5 difficulty cache. Two caches, two smileys - but one only findable by getting to the other.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
This isn't a difficulty 5 but it does allow for a second smiley.

A Coming or Going Quickie

John

Being new to this sport, and trying to learn the different nuances. It appears to me that this cache is just a multi. As well, the two caches are only about 31m apart and do not qualify under the placing guidelines of 161m separation. How does it qualify for two smilies?

John

Being new to this sport, and trying to learn the different nuances. It appears to me that this cache is just a multi. As well, the two caches are only about 31m apart and do not qualify under the placing guidelines of 161m separation. How does it qualify for two smilies?

Your right...it is nothing but a multi, but people will do about anything anymore to collect smilies. Then argue that it's just their style of playing. Whatever. :D I guess their is some thrill in playing this way, but I have yet to figure it out.

Here is a link to a cache we did this fall which could of been done that way, but thankfully wasn't. The actual cache was placed just outside of a Natural Area which are off limits to caching. However, in the cache were coordinates to one of the last remaining Virgin Hemlock stands in Pennsylvania located within the Natural Area. It was a fantastic site if you made the short trek. Now that's what I call a bonus, and I sure didn't need an extra smiley face to make it complete.

Salvelinus

Edited by Salvelinus

John

Your right...it is nothing but a multi, but people will do about anything anymore to collect smilies. Then argue that it's just their style of playing. Whatever. :( I guess their is some thrill in playing this way, but I have yet to figure it out.

Salvelinus

John is at work, so I (the other half of 2oldfarts) will answer this one.

No, it is not a multi - it is a very special cache that just 'came into being' due to the great cachers in the area!

When we placed this cache - it was our first real to life "lame" cache. We just had fun placing it. Then, much to our surprise and delight and wonder, the great cachers that found this particular cache liked our "style" of 'where' we hid it so much, that they left 'lots of extra nice stuff'. I mean, they over filled and left plastic ziplocs (gallon size) with extra stuff.

We came on the forums to ask if this had ever happened before and what should we do with the extra good stuff that really did not fit into the small tin that really was the cache container (not the holder for the small tin). The consensus at that time - to place another 'bonus cache' close by to reward all of those nice folks that had been so generous. So...that is exactly what we did and people really love the idea. (Usually, people come on the forums with the opposite problem...cache depletion.) This is a unique situation that has turned out really well.

So, to those who are the 'stick in the mud' kind, that call the fun that is being had by all as 'there style of playing', no, it just happened and yes, we are having fun reading the posts.

An extra smiley here or there...what's the harm? After all - it is just a "FUN GAME". It is nothing to get all hot or rude or snide over.

But I guess that I should be happy that you think we have "STYLE"? :P;)

Happy caching.

Shirley~

If the "bonus" cache is good enough to find, it should be listed separately. If not, you shouldn't get another smiley for finding it, as smileys are for caches listed on this site. You wouldn't claim a smiley here for finding a terracache close to the geocache, would you? :(

With that in mind, I hope you respond.

The cache that gives you smiley number one is going to give you clues to cache number two. Cache One is difficult to find and you need to pay attention to the clues I'm working up. Once you find it, the cache house will have a clue to the bonus cache. The clue will include a site tube I'm mounting so that cachers can view the location of the bonus cache; essentially, a permanently mounted pipe. The Bonus Cache will be a mere 2000 feet away (chrome feet). However, it'll be a 6.5 mile driving trip to actually get there (hiking and biking are impossible/impracticable/unimaginable/illegal).

The entire cache will be linked by a short story I've written. The idea of finding a bonus cache will fit in with the concept of the story. Kind of a story within a story that results in a cache within a cache. Now that I think of it, more than one bonus cache would fit in here. Hmmm......

Given all the time I've spent on the concept, adding another mini-story-bonus-cache (or two) wouldn't be all that difficult. I just need a way to situate another cache or two in the area. Three or four smilies on one cache may be pushing it.

Or for another concept begging for input:

I may want to just make Cache One a requisite cache for Caches Two and Three with Cache Two a requisite cache for Cache Four. I haven't placed a cache since Katrina. Putting out four caches at once would go a long way to getting me caught up. :P

If the "bonus" cache is good enough to find, it should be listed separately. If not, you shouldn't get another smiley for finding it, as smileys are for caches listed on this site. You wouldn't claim a smiley here for finding a terracache close to the geocache, would you? :(

With that in mind, I hope you respond.

The cache that gives you smiley number one is going to give you clues to cache number two. Cache One is difficult to find and you need to pay attention to the clues I'm working up. Once you find it, the cache house will have a clue to the bonus cache. The clue will include a site tube I'm mounting so that cachers can view the location of the bonus cache; essentially, a permanently mounted pipe. The Bonus Cache will be a mere 2000 feet away (chrome feet). However, it'll be a 6.5 mile driving trip to actually get there (hiking and biking are impossible/impracticable/unimaginable/illegal).

The entire cache will be linked by a short story I've written. The idea of finding a bonus cache will fit in with the concept of the story. Kind of a story within a story that results in a cache within a cache. Now that I think of it, more than one bonus cache would fit in here. Hmmm......

Given all the time I've spent on the concept, adding another mini-story-bonus-cache (or two) wouldn't be all that difficult. I just need a way to situate another cache or two in the area. Three or four smilies on one cache may be pushing it.

Or for another concept begging for input:

I may want to just make Cache One a requisite cache for Caches Two and Three with Cache Two a requisite cache for Cache Four. I haven't placed a cache since Katrina. Putting out four caches at once would go a long way to getting me caught up. :P

Sounds like a challenging multicache. If you placed it as a multi, finders would get one smiley.

I have found a cache that used a sight tube to locate the actual cache. It was quite fun and took us a few tries. We eventually found it as our 400th find.

Since you want to place this as several individual caches, why not make each one a mystery cache? Bogus coords don't count (AFAIK) for proximity purposes. It would be like this:

Your first cache is a traditional. No problems there.

Your second cache (the sight tube) is a mystery type with bogus coords at the first cache location.

Your third cache would have bogus coords in the vicinity of the actual 2nd cache (but not exact). This would ensure people are using the sight tube get to the cache, and not the coordinates posted for the 3rd cache.

You may wish to discuss this with your reviewer before setting it all up. They may recommend you place it as one hard multicache instead. I think it could work either way, but that depends on how you set it all up.

For my 400th hide I put out a cache with four physical cache locations -- each in a different county. Complicated Cross County Cache If you find each of the four caches you have all the information for a fifth cache. CCCC Bonus

If all you wanted to do was get the cache off of your unfound list you just have to find any one of the four caches. But if you wanted to find the bonus cache you had to find all four. (And you could claim four smilies on the cache or not -- up to you.)

The two groups that have found the entire series have enjoyed it!

John is at work, so I (the other half of 2oldfarts) will answer this one.

No, it is not a multi - it is a very special cache that just 'came into being' due to the great cachers in the area!

When we placed this cache - it was our first real to life "lame" cache. We just had fun placing it. Then, much to our surprise and delight and wonder, the great cachers that found this particular cache liked our "style" of 'where' we hid it so much, that they left 'lots of extra nice stuff'. I mean, they over filled and left plastic ziplocs (gallon size) with extra stuff.

We came on the forums to ask if this had ever happened before and what should we do with the extra good stuff that really did not fit into the small tin that really was the cache container (not the holder for the small tin). The consensus at that time - to place another 'bonus cache' close by to reward all of those nice folks that had been so generous. So...that is exactly what we did and people really love the idea. (Usually, people come on the forums with the opposite problem...cache depletion.) This is a unique situation that has turned out really well.

So, to those who are the 'stick in the mud' kind, that call the fun that is being had by all as 'there style of playing', no, it just happened and yes, we are having fun reading the posts.

An extra smiley here or there...what's the harm? After all - it is just a "FUN GAME". It is nothing to get all hot or rude or snide over.

But I guess that I should be happy that you think we have "STYLE"? :(:P

Happy caching.

Shirley~

Ok, maybe its not a multi. But why not just create a seperate listing?

You ask: "What's the harm?" I say: "What's the point"

By allowing people to log "found it" logs for caches where there is no cache listing on the site, has the potential to fundamentally change the game by totally circumventing the approval process. In the example I gave above, the cache hider could of placed a container at the bonus coords and allowed an extra find. However, the area is off limits to physical caches and the approver may or may not even realize it. Sorta like the same problems a moving cache pose.

All that said. I'm sure your cache (or caches) are just fine and fun to do. But that type of cache hiding behavoir has the potential to open up a big can of worms.

Then again... I'm somewhat cynical ;)

Salvelinus

Edited by Salvelinus