A Radical Opinion

Just got back from a week caching in the Banbury region, and we had a problem while there. We thought we'd spend one day in Oxford, hoovering up some easier ones (yes OK, it IS all about the numbers ;) )

However, we spent so much time trying to relate the smart code on our GPS to the full name listed on the palm that we gave up after an hour or so, with a mere three finds, and went back to the countryside.

The reason for this was the incredible number of 'series' caches, all starting with university... or universally.... The Smart codes from GSAK just assigned random codes all starting UNIVE... The only way I could relate any to cachemate was by getting cachemate to do a nearest cache search, which is slow and eats batteries.

This is no way is a dig at these caches - the ones we managed were very good, and were all by much more experienced cachers than ourselves, but surely others have come across this problem? Or how do you solve it? Our suggestion, and heres the radical bit, is that a series of caches should have a unique first bit of name and then the series written after it. eg Trees a Crowd (Wandle Wander Series)

It is possible that we have missed something obvious here, but for us, it did partly spoil our plans for a huge numbers day in Oxford!

Cheers!

Dave

We use Memory Map on a PDA and a pretty old-style GPS but before going out we plan in advance. Caches we fancy doing are loaded into MM, then to the PDA and we also download the GPX file to GPXSonar. Basically we know precisely where we are going and what caches we're looking for before we leave home. The names/ codes for the caches are irrelevant to us and when loading them to the GPS we often just use "A", "B", "C", etc for speed.

Whenever we're about to do series caches where thay all have the similar names, I spend 5 minutes looking at the smart names of them in GSAK. If they look confusing, I change them to something more suitable to I can recognise which ones are which.

There is the odd time when I forget to do this, and a quick check of the listed co-ords usually works, but it is more of a pain.

T

Edited by Pengy&Tigger

I suppose if I had any mobile mapping software, I could probably work something out - unfortunately I don't! All I have is a list of caches by full name on Cachemate, and a list of abbreviated names on the GPS. Oh, and before anyone suggests it, I export to cachemate using the same smart names, then the autologging doesn't work - it needs the GC code in there. Been there, tried that!

Admittedly, with lots of forward planning, we could have survived, but it would have meant lots of printed maps brought from home, and I simply ran out of planning time for that many Oxford caches!

We managed in London very well, but that may have been because the cache density is less and there are less similarly named caches (IMHO) and also as I know the city very well!

However, we spent so much time trying to relate the smart code on our GPS to the full name listed on the palm that we gave up after an hour or so, with a mere three finds, and went back to the countryside.

Don't use the smart code from GSAK, and just use the cache code?

Our suggestion, and heres the radical bit, is that a series of caches should have a unique first bit of name and then the series written after it. eg Trees a Crowd (Wandle Wander Series)

I think this would be worse. Having all the series names at the start of cache names means they can all be grouped together instantly using query tools such as GSAK, GPXView, GPXSonar etc.

Sorry it spoiled your City Centre plans, but I suppose we all learn from these experiences.

As Birders say in their reply, it is basically down to planning. If you know you are going to do a series of caches, prefixed by the same name(s), you can use GSAK to your advantage.

In the case mentioned, the words causing the problems, in the Smart Name, are University and Challenge.

If you update GSAK with the latest GPX file, before your caching mission you can do the following, in GSAK, to benefit you:

1. Click on Tools|Options|General Tab. Towards the bottom right you will see a field named "Smart name drop words" and in the filed there may be a few words such as "the", "this", etc. Place a semicolon at the end of the line and then add "University;Challenge" - without quotation marks. Then click OK.

2. Then click "Database|Recalculate Smart Names...". The Smart Names will then recalculate but will not contain the words University or Challenge. You can then copy the waypoints to your GPS.

Word of caution - remove University and Challenge from the drop words list when no longer required and recaclc the Smart Names.

Charles

I might revert to using GC code for a day like that next time stuey - smart codes are fine and helpful in the country, but GC would be better in a built up area.

As for grouping together, I can see how that could be useful, although I'm sure most of the software could manage it anyway, and I tend to sort mine by distance rather than name. Still, each to their own, and we certainly learnt from our experience! As it happens, we enjoyed being back in the field anyway, and had a great afternoon in the country - even got a close up view of a kestrel hovering at the side of the road, so everything works out for the best!

I do maintain my position though, and all I ask is that setters contemplate this when naming! 2202 has reached a good compromise with the UC series - UC1, UC18 works well in smart names!

I'll get off my soap box for now anyway!

Dave

As my GPS is limited to 6 character names, I use the ordinary GC type code in GSAK. Then, when I export to my GPS and Palm Vx I use the %drop2 code which removes the GC from the front of the name, leaving the four characters that actually mean something.

I also use the tool 'Grab-coordinates' in GSAK which means that all the extra co-ords start with the four significant characters, followed by '01' etc.

This means that I can easily relate what I see on my Palm to what I have on the GPS.

If I plan my day accordingly, then I know which order I am doing them in, and the day's caching becomes a lot simpler.

As my GPS is limited to 6 character names, I use the ordinary GC type code in GSAK. Then, when I export to my GPS and Palm Vx I use the %drop2 code which removes the GC from the front of the name, leaving the four characters that actually mean something.

I also use the tool 'Grab-coordinates' in GSAK which means that all the extra co-ords start with the four significant characters, followed by '01' etc.

This means that I can easily relate what I see on my Palm to what I have on the GPS.

If I plan my day accordingly, then I know which order I am doing them in, and the day's caching becomes a lot simpler.

Joke

I guess a day caching with you can be hard when someone says "Dog Walk #45 is the next" and your reply is "No! FTNHKJ is" <_<

Edited by Moote

We used the smart codes once and had exactly the same problem. We have never used them since as all they seem to do is add an extra layer of complexity for hardly any benefit.

Chris

Confused

Do you mean Smart Names something like EaseGillCaverns, or

The Groundspeak GC Code like GCP807?

Neither Moote!

I use smart names limited to 6 letters (like WalkerGeoff) as the GPS can't handle any more. Up to now, this has been really useful when out caching, as it allows us to ID the cache quickly using a sensible name. As Chris and Maria have found though, it does cause problems though, especially when a lot of caches start with the same words...

Maybe we should revert to GC codes. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!

Neither Moote!

I use smart names limited to 6 letters (like WalkerGeoff) as the GPS can't handle any more. Up to now, this has been really useful when out caching, as it allows us to ID the cache quickly using a sensible name. As Chris and Maria have found though, it does cause problems though, especially when a lot of caches start with the same words...

Maybe we should revert to GC codes. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!

Fact

Just realized I had GSAK Smart names set to length 20, and the GPS only accepts length 10, Reset GSAK to reflect this

I have used the GC codes all along simply because CM needs the GC codes to work right ands smart codes that are six characters long are not smart enough to do the job as you discovered. I find it no problem to use CM as a reference and the GPSr as a GPSr. If I need to change a code i nthe field to make thing easier I jus do it o nthe GPSr - it also helps if you only send caches fro mcachemate to the GPSr as you need them. That way the GPSr is not full of meaningless GC codes and only has the one you are looking for.

All I have is a list of caches by full name on Cachemate, and a list of abbreviated names on the GPS. Oh, and before anyone suggests it, I export to cachemate using the same smart names, then the autologging doesn't work - it needs the GC code in there. Been there, tried that!

Not quite true. Are you using the Cachemate.txt Macro?.

All that is required is that you change the settings used for the "Load CacheMate logs and finds" from code to smart name

cap131.png

Edited by ClydeE

I have been using smart names until now but abandoned them when the new additional waypoints came along. On the GPS there were just too many similarly named waypoints and it was hard to tell cache from parking place. For caches I use the 4 character code (GC removed) and for additional waypoints the same 4 character code with a 2 character suffix defined by the cache owner. When loaded on the GPS, all caches and their additional wayoints sit together as a group.

Joke

I guess a day caching with you can be hard when someone says "Dog Walk #45 is the next" and your reply is "No! FTNHKJ is" :o

Like it! :lol: However, to spoil the joke (which I like even more :lol: ), the much-despised Palm Vx gives the title of the cache, and the GC number on the same page - and it works fine.

I do like the fact that all the caches are named after me! Why else would they begin each cache identifier with my initials? :o

Edited by walkergeoff