What's The Point In Caching

Marko505

:D I don't get why you would go find a box with a GPS that has crap in it? Someone tell me the meaning of Geocaching! :laughing:

I like it because it shure beats sitting inside cleaning house!

Also, you get to see some cool places, and usae cool technology, use the cool signal the frog mascot, and meet cool people.

Chris

it makes me stop to see things i would never have noticed while whizzing by at 55mph. ( :D we all do the limit, right? ) i've met people i wouldn't have otherwise. i get to see imaginative ideas for hides, and what other people see as beautiful (insert your own blaahs and what were they thinking comments here) areas. most of all it gets my kids interested in something besides tv and video games (and my wife away from the mall).

Remember being a kid and how you felt at Easter hunting Easter eggs? That's how it feels to me. Except now I know where the eggs are and I have to drive to get them. Besides look at all the cool things that you get to see and do to get them. I actually climbed a tree to get to a cache. I havn't done that since I was a kid. And it felt good. :laughing:

Yes! Exactly. There is still a kid trapped in this fat ole body. I am loving being a kid again. (And losing some weight as a bonus prize!)

I have been on two outings with my wife.

We have several more area towns to visit, each one with other goals besides geocaching. At one town

we are going to eat at a fancy Mexican restaurant....at another, we will do some fishing at an area lake.....at another we plan to visit a museum and the do some caching.

Our two local trips were planned around a simple lunch.

Sooooooo, for me it is the adventure "within" the adventure!

Got it?

Chuck :anicute:

I like the adventure. Not knowing exactly where I am going, or what I am getting into. I call it treasure hunting. It is something that one of my sons, my wife and I enjoy doing dogether, by getting us to go out and enjoy the day. I enjoy hiking trails in my area that I never knew existed. Some of the mini or multi caches, give me funner chalanges than crossword puzzles or video games. It beats sitting in a hotel room waiting for a soccer tournament game. Its good exersize. I like getting my boots muddy, I like making my own trail through the woods, and knowing exactly where I am. I think it is cool finding a mini in a parking lot with people walking all around me, with no clue on what I am up to. Some caches do have nice finds in them. So in a sence, it it not just one reason, but many reasons that I enjoy geocaching.

I got into it just to see what it was about, and once I saw all the cool places caching would take me I got hooked. I haven't been doing it long, but I can tell you now I'll be caching for quite some time.

My parents asked what on earth was the point of this sport? I told my mom you just have to go on a hunt to see for yourself, you can't explain it, and now after going with me a few times she agrees. You can't understand it until you've tried it.

Take a bit of "Blind Mans Bluff", stir in a helping of "Hide 'n' Seek" , add a dash of "treasure hunt" and add the ability to leave your "mark" in a way that's secret and legal all at the same time. The best part is :

You can enjoy all these favorite childhood games without being a child and almost no-one thinks you chould be committed..

Last year, an old friend from my high-school days climbed Mt Everest. Why... for the adventure. this sport provides mini-adventures for those of us that have neither the time or the finances to go traipsing off to Nepal..

What's funny is while I have not been a member here all that long, and have only a small handfull of finds under my belt, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to geocache. When a neighbor asks what we did that day and I mention geocaching, it is beyond my comprehension why she doesn't seem utterly fascinated by it all and beg to know more! :(

Getting outside, seeing beautiful spots I might have never visited otherwise, the fun of following clues and then <_< actually finding a treasure at the end? :( What on earth could be more fun?

Edited by Sevilon

Upon reading about your intial finds, yuou seemed to be having a good time doing it. If you are now disillusioned with the sport, fine, I can accept that. I feel your post insultory and done to stir up others to the rest of us, probabably due to your frustration. But to try to ruin it for other people should not be accepted. I would love to see your post pulled.

Cary in S.D.

TOP TEN REASONS TO GO GEOCACHING -

10. Discover new parts of your body that can be scratched, scraped or chafed by ill-fitting undergarments.

9. Sure beats sitting around waiting for the FedEx caveman commercial to play again.

8. Thousands of dollars in cash and prizes to some lucky winner ... but with no magazine subscriptions to buy.

7. Geo-babes are the hottest.

6. The chance to walk around town carrying a $300 piece of electronics, walking stick, camelpack, TrailMix, and PDA while jotting down notes, updating your camera and poking around a guardrail looking for a Hide-A-Key box.

5. Fascinating conversations with law enforcement agents of every type.

4. Gain valuable experience at acting nonchalant and innocent while hanging around the playground.

3. Discover which spiders in your area are REALLY poisonous.

2. Chance to find that elusive Piglet from the 1997 Happy Meals Collection.

1. Better than sitting at home waiting for the next Pauly Shore movie to open.

Responses like yours makes reading these forums worthwhile. Thanks for the laugh.

<_<

10. Discover new parts of your body that can be scratched, scraped or chafed by ill-fitting undergarments.

9. Sure beats sitting around waiting for the FedEx caveman commercial to play again.

8. Thousands of dollars in cash and prizes to some lucky winner ... but with no magazine subscriptions to buy.

6. The chance to walk around town carrying a $300 piece of electronics, walking stick, camelpack, TrailMix, and PDA while jotting down notes, updating your camera and poking around a guardrail looking for a Hide-A-Key box.

4. Gain valuable experience at acting nonchalant and innocent while hanging around the playground.

Responses like yours makes reading these forums worthwhile. Thanks for the laugh.

:rolleyes:

You're very welcome. ... D'ya know anybody from the Letterman show? ... preferably in Personnel....

It also beats smacking a little white ball in the lake with a stick! Its the number one pass time here in MB. And I still wonder why.

I think the reason most people do it is for the challange, the thrill of the hunt, the light at the end of the tunnel...

Wait! that may have been a train...

We do it because it's fun and also a great way to meet and great new people. And not all caches are full of junk. Just ask any young boy who reaches into a ammo box and pulls out his first hotwheels, or the little girl that pulls out a "Dora the Explore pin.

Not to mention the joy to be outside, with the sun on your skin, the wind in your hair, the feeling of being one with the earth.

Okay, that last part was parly due to the 60's, but you get the picture!

So get off the couch, give your fingers, eyes and back a break and go Geocaching.

10 caches since 2001 and only a member since 2-2006 What gives? Its about the fun of it all and reading other folks logs. Hey try a PUC cache. Look it up, by team vinny and sue. Its extreme. If you aren't hooked by one of theirs there is no hope for you in this life.

Due to my hectic work/class schedule, I have only been able to locate 2 caches so far. I just enjoy being outdoors and geocaching gets me there. Plus, as much as I dread cleaning, I do get to participate in CITO, so I feel good about that. Cancel the cable, one month will pay for your GPS, and get out of the house!!

bump....bump....bump....bump....

ok you guys it seems none of u can explain this to this guy and im 13 and even i know the reason for geocaching...

you geocache beacause its kinda fun and its not about the items man.... .. i mean the cache i placed has a nice view.

and its on a river (canoe rentals name of cache)

its about the hunt and the view come on some caches have a sweeeet view like mine :ph34r:

i hope i answered your question.

Geocaching is one of the greatest past times known to man, well at least those who know about it. Where else do you do something that involves the outdoors, exercising, the thrill of an adventure, being rewarded with a simple treasure, and lovin every minute of it. Geocaching is a great sport to involve your family and friends with. If you dont understand why so many people go geocaching on a daily basis, then you dont deserve to know about such a great sport. :ph34r:

Geocaching is one of the greatest past times known to man, well at least those who know about it. Where else do you do something that involves the outdoors, exercising, the thrill of an adventure, being rewarded with a simple treasure, and lovin every minute of it. Geocaching is a great sport to involve your family and friends with. If you dont understand why so many people go geocaching on a daily basis, then you dont deserve to know about such a great sport. :lol:

ok you are right about that. :huh::P:PB):ph34r:

ive only found i think 3 caches but its super fun :D:D:D

(if u live in tx see my cache canoe rentals near zip code 78934) :ph34r::ph34r:

Edited by caching sabertooth

Why do we do this?

Its FUN!

It gets me out of the house. There have been a few times when I really should have stayed home and done something else, but really wanted to get out a GC. In the past I would have sat in front of the tv.

Its gotten me out to areas in my county I hadn't been to, to parks I didn't know existed. When I was home visiting my parents, GCing actually got me to revisit areas of my hometown I hadn't been to in a loooong time. I actually purchased year passes to our state parks and county parks, so I would save money on my visits to them GCing and the like.

Its fun to search and find them. You get a sense of accomplishment. Its kind of neat to look at the GC map of the area near you and know you found all the ones near where you lived.

The swag isn't important. I usually don't trade swag unless I spot something I want. I'd rather get a map of the park I visited to save as a memento instead.

:anibad: I don't get why you would go find a box with a GPS that has crap in it? Someone tell me the meaning of Geocaching! :)

HUMOR ALERT! THE FOLLOWING IS A JOKE:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, to paraphrase Jeremy and his all too

frequent comments directed at me...

[paraphrasing]

If you don't like it then this site is obviously not for you.

So why don't you just go to some other site, and stay there.

[/paraphrasing]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has been a joke.

This was only a joke. If this had been a real insult,

you would have been instructed where to go in your

area for assistance.

Haha! This is great! -_-

For me and my wife it's another excuse to get outside (we both like hiking) and we've found some very cool places I never knew existed locally. The puzzle caches (some of the local puzzle caches are harsh) exercise the mind. I can't think of anything negative (tho there was that one night cache, pitch black, cold, standing in freezing cold water ... but heck, was a good feeling to log it, and personal accomplishment).

Edited by Melen

I'm a total newbie to geocaching (found 2 last weekend) but I LOVE interesting places. In fact, it was an inquiry to a local historian about an interesting place that put the word geocaching into my head for the first time. I view geocaching as basically a chance to see what hidden places other people think are interesting. And its a great chance for me, my wife, and our dog to get some exercise. And of course to read the logs to see who else has been there, and add my own mark. Trading a few goodies may be a distant fourth. Of course I haven't even explored the whole travel bug thing yet.

I don't get why you would register on a site, and say you love geocaching in your profile, to ask this question? Someone explain this to me.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default.aspx?id=583423 i agree with baloo&bd on this one that is kinda unheard of and senseless -_-

Well, I can see that the OP (and there is strong evidence that the OP is very young) may have indeed written in his profile that he loved geocaching, and then may have "lost steam" (i.e., lost interest) afterward. This happens. To point out that inconsistency and to then try to berate the OP for it, is, to me, a bit futile. After all, things change.

My dark side is sitting here chortling about all this fuss, and chanting:

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."

Because after working all week, it is relaxing and enjoyable to hike that great trail in that beautiful park that you might have never known existed if it were not for geocaching.

That pretty much sums it up for me! I've found so many places, both near and far, that I never would have gone to and experienced if it were not for another cacher who placed a cache, and thus pointed the cool place out to me...

Also there's the hours of wasted time chatting in the forums... :ph34r:

What is the point of Geocaching? Last August my husband, Yamahammer, lost his job due to downsizing at his plant. Four days later his mom passed away. For more than 4 months he looked for a job in a market flooded by hurricane evacuees. He applied and searched for jobs daily. Caching gave him something to occupy his mind and body. It gave him a chance to get outside and hike on trails. It gave us both a chance to put our minds on something besides our own life situation. We developed friendships in the caching community that have already been a blessing to us. I believe someone in an earlier post used the word priceless. I agree.

Yamamomma :ph34r:

:unsure: I don't get why you would go find a box with a GPS that has crap in it? Someone tell me the meaning of Geocaching! :unsure:

After reading the above post I thought of the following words that I memorized long ago.

"Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others."

It seems to me that you went into geocaching with the idea that you wanted to be served by others by way of entertainment and free goodies for yourself. If you don't like the fact that there is not something of value -to you- in the container, feel free to "trade up" then feel good about your generosity.

-it

at the end of the day if you need convincing to do the hobby then it's probably not for you.

i'm the other extreme and need tying down to stop me from going and caching....well ok not for the last few weeks but then i am getting over major operation! :unsure: so literally tied down!

like anything that is freetime do something you enjoy and get fun from. hopefully you'll see how caching can fulfill that. it's not about the swaps it's the hunt. :unsure:

I got the GPS for a specific job i was considering. I stumbled upon geocaching.com purely by accident/

It has beome what the yuppie-puppies call "quality time" with my sons.

To show the impact of caching on my sons, let me share a personal story. My wife died this past Sunday morning. I asked my 6 year old, "what do you want to do after the funeral Thursday?"- not play with his friends, videogames or be with family. His first words out of his mouth- "let's go geocaching"

It has become our time together. Mom took him to karate, but he, his dad and brother "cache" together. To sum it up, I quote the hokey pokey, that' what it's all about". :unsure:

Because after working all week, it is relaxing and enjoyable to hike that great trail in that beautiful park that you might have never known existed if it were not for geocaching.

That's what it is for me. It's amazing that there are parks even 3 miles from my home I never knew of before caching.