What's The Point In Caching

Marko505

:P I don't get why you would go find a box with a GPS that has crap in it? Someone tell me the meaning of Geocaching! <_<

Well hello there Chipper. If you don't like it go away. Caching has allowed me to meet new friends who I will cherish for a long time. I've seen places I would have never seen otherwise and if nothing else it gives me a reason to go out and play.

I would like to know the meaning of your post. <_<

I'd like to think that a few hundred years from now the people who keep stumbling on lost caches think "Wow, the populatin of the 21st century were really into time capsules. Too bad they weren't any good at them."

Seriously though, if you don't like what you're finding in the caches then put in there what you'd like to find yourself. The more people trade up the better quality stuff we'll eventually start seeing overall.

And don't forget to enjoy the hunt <_<

<_< I don't get why you would go find a box with a GPS that has crap in it? Someone tell me the meaning of Geocaching! <_<

I was going to set off the troll alert :-) but let me tell you what it means to me. Now, your profile says "Student" so my definition might be different than the definition you are looking for.

Geocaching means different things to different people. I geocache because I find that it is fun and an excellent way to knock off some time. It is healthy -> I have gone hiking more thanks to Geocaching than I have my whole life. I have seen Box Turtles, Frogs, snakes, foxes, deer, horses, fish (in the water).... after a stressful week of work, I hiked for 4 hours (8 caches) listened to the birds, relaxed, got some exercise.

There are events you can meet people, especially people with the same interests as you.

It's not just about the crap in the box (that sounded weird) but I do enjoy taking out some junk and placing better items in a cache (such as a compass/keychain) My son who is 4 years old loves to find stuff from Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc...etc. I like to fact that my son is not sitting by a computer, watching TV, getting cranky etc..

There are travel bugs, geocoins, film cannisters, tupperware, ammo boxes.... sometime it is the thrill of the hunt. On two occasions I went along with groups after sunset for some awesome caches.

My brother in law explained to me why he loves reading Sci-Fi the other night by saying "with a day full of reality, it's nice to sit back and take your mind for an adventure"... or something like that.

Dave

What's the point in video games? You sit on your butt pushing buttons for hours to get what? A numb widening butt, dry eyes, and sore fingers and shoulders. At least with geocaching, you get out of the house, you get aerobic exercise and your eyes won't dry out so quickly staring at a screen.

With Geocaching, there is the enjoyment of a good view, the company of great friends, and clearly the satisfaction of doing something out of the ordinary that's making news on a weekly basis. This sport/hobby has caught the attention of local, state and federal agencies as they try to grasp the enormity of this sport in such a short time. And here you are finding yourself on the crest of the wave of this amazing sport and you can't see the point of it?

Value of stuff in the box will always be subjective to personal opinion. You need to focus at the treasures around you while out on the hunt.

I enjoy going to places that I never would have if there wasn't a cache there. I make a yearly trip of 2,000 plus miles to visit friends and relatives and stopping to find caches along the way sure makes the trip more enjoyable. Not to mention that I have discovered that the names on all those interstate exit signs have interesting towns to go with them. I've visited small parks, walked along beautiful streams and rivers, seen unique buildings, and exercised my mind finding caches along the way. However, like others have said, Geocaching isn't for everyone and it may not be for you. Hope you can find something you enjoy as much we do Geocaching.

I have 13 year old and talking on good day is a challenge. I started this 2 weeks ago, took him and my dd and a friend of each. Our first find was a matchstick container, you know my geocache friends, nothing but a log book. Those kids thought they had found the holy grail for heavens sake. My son was in the front seat beside me while we found 3 more that day and honest to goodness we laughed out loud for miles. It was freaking amazing!!!! That alone is reason to cache. Also, I am hooked hooked hooked. I have actually went out on my own today for the first time and found what I was looking for and laughed out loud when I found it! Looked around quickly to make sure no one heard me, but had a blast! Outside, kids want to be with mom, OMG what else is there????

Kasma_gang

KimAlexSarahMadisonAJ

To me its the one thing that i know that as long as i don't give up i can succeed. Each new cache is an ah ha moment. Its gets me off the couch and gives me those chuckles when i think of the next evil cache i want to create or find. Why do people do cross word puzzles.

Its the same reason people belong to gangs or clubs or have any hobby. They have a sense of belonging and fulfillment. If the sport doesnt do that for you, you either quit too soon or its not for you.

After my first few caches i stopped the trinket thing, unless something really grabs my attention.

The look on my 5 year old's face when she find the "treasure" To a 5 year old, the McCrap is cool.

One hundred percent agree, the only difference...I look at my dad's 74 year old face when he finds the cache...not to use a coined phrase, but it fits....priceless.

Edited by 2B Amazed

:laughing: I don't get why you would go find a box with a GPS that has crap in it? Someone tell me the meaning of Geocaching! :laughing:

How did you get crap in your GPS? I can barely change the batteries on mine.

I cache for a variety of reasons.

1. It takes me to places that I never would have gone to otherwise.

2. It gets me out off my dead a** and out hiking around.

3. I enjoy the challenge of matching wits with someone, and using The Force to figure out where the cache is hidden.

Reason to GeoCache:

1) Our twins love it. To them it is treasure hunting and there is no such thing as junk. If you could see their face when they find the Cache, you would understand!

2) To learn how to operate a GPS. I can't just read a manual and understand something, I need a reason. My GPS is not just a GeoCache toy, but also a window to future technologies. The better I understand this one, the easier it will be to understand whatever it is that comes next.

3) This has been a great family thing. It gets us out of the house together. Also, when I'm not responding to a forum etc, it gets me away from the computer. :laughing:

Not only does my family do it for fun and exercise, we do it for the educational opportunities it provides. What a great way to get hands-on learning experience in geography, geology, history, map and compass reading etc.

We can now recognize some 'dangerous' plants (poison ivy, stinging nettle, poison oak etc), some natural remedies in case of accidental contact with said plants, as well as some basic outdoor survival/first aid knowledge. We can recognize birds by their songs.

We have seen a family of bald eagles make their home in a city park. I got to watch the three babies grow during the summer. We learned that 20 degrees really isn't too cold to go caching if one learns to dress properly. We learned that a mile of bushwacking in 90 degree weather is a great way to spend an afternoon and create some great memories. We found that everything we needed for an extended camping trip can fit inside our backpack.

While we could learn that stuff from a book or watching TV, there is nothing better than getting out and learning first hand!

Then of course you have the thrill of meeting new people and forging some great friendships whether it be across town, across the state or across the country.

Well, one reason why we cache is simply as a really fun excuse to get some exercise outdoors and to have an adventure. And, many times, caching leads us to a really beautiful spot which we would not otherwise have visited. Earlier this afternoon, Sue and I and our trusty beagle Toby hiked a 1.6 miles from our home each way to reach a barren ridge of rocks on a mountaintop where we have been contemplating placing a wildeness cache. As I neared the ridgeline, I spotted two immense turkey vultures standing peacefully on the very higest pinnacle of rock, thirty feet from me, watching us. They remained exactly where they were as Sue and I completed our scouting and then hit the trail back down again.

And so, here is the way I look at it: Everyone has their own cup(s) of tea in this life. Some enjoy coffee, some love tea, and some love only herbal tea, while others hate all hot drinks and only like fruit juice, or water, and some will drink (ahem!) only hard liquor; others love only chocolate milk shakes. To each their own. Some folks like geocaching, and for any of a variety of reasons, while some do not. I have no desire to try to win you over to "liking" geocaching, as I am totally at peace with you and the world regardless of whether you stay involved in geocaching. However, if you wish to get a bit of an idea of what some folks get out of geocaching, you may wish to read the log entries on any of the following caches:

Most loggers wrote log entries of many hundreds of words, such was their level of enjoyment and appreciation. After reading even a handful of the entries on each of those pages, can anyone deny that those finders were having fun?

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Hmmm . . . you seem to be a contradiction of sorts . . . to quote from your profile, you say, "I hate geography but love geocaching." Surely you don't love something that you don't see the point of.

For me, geocaching is a lot of things:

I get to spend time with my family.

I get to see wonderful new places.

I get out of the house and get some exercise -- much less screen time when you're not home.

I get to use my mind.

I get to meet wonderful people, some of whom have become friends.

I get to explore place I thought I knew.

I get to hide things.

I get to learn.

I get to make puzzles.

I get to walk through a river.

I could continue, but really, geocaching is what you make it . . . nothing more and nothing less.

If you truly don't see the point in caching, then don't. Why waste your time?

Edited by FluteFace

Interesting. I just posted something about my first post, and I do believe this was it...

I posted this almost exactly 5 years ago, and I think it's still valid.

I, too, am fairly new to Geocaching, but I'm getting into it purely for the edification of my 5 year old boy. This summer, his family in the Chicago area, and his grandparents in Chattanooga, will be taking little suburban boy out into the wilderness hiking, learning directions, learning to read maps, learning the "2D" representation, etc., all with not only the hopes of a small prize, but with the altruistic idea of leaving something for someone else who will visit it in the future. What a GREAT educational experience (and relatively free since Grandma is buying the GPS).

And who's to say I won't enjoy it right along with him. I'm outside in the wilderness, with a little technological help, hoping to find a well placed cache that has a significant meaning for the indivdual that placed it.

Point? So many things in life have no point to some and a great meaning to others. Me, I watch the Superbowl only for the commercials, have never sat through an entire World Series or NBA championship, and can't see why anyone would smack a little white ball with a club around a golf course. But I do enjoy camping, hiking, rafting, and technology. The glorious thing about our civilization is for those who find and interest, there is usually and avenue to pursue that interest - even though to others, there may be no point.

Edited by Markwell

It's about the smileys....oh wait wrong topic. :cute:

For me it's about getting outdoors and personal challenges. There are as many ways to challenge youself as there are caches:

The race for a FTF.

That 5/5 that will test your skills and nerve.

Going for person bests such as most finds in a day or month.

I like this thread, have read the whole thing.

I went for a cache yesterday with my 8 yr old daughter. It was a 3km hike and she didn't shut up the entire time. She talked to me about everything under the sun. Caching gives me an opportunity to talk "with" my kids instead of "at" them. Seems to be rare these days. We don't even own a video game system.

Nice fishing trip Marko, must have your bag limit by now

Well I haven't been geocaching very long in the big picture, but I can say that it's more about the hunt then it is about the prize. I live in Washington and visit Oregon frequently so I like to cache alot in Oregon. If you ever go to Lincoln City on the coast I highly recommend doing the Lincoln City Tour. It's a multi cache that gives you clues to the next spot and all the locations are incredible sites to see that the average tourist would never know existed. I saw some incredible views. And the best part was I saw it with my kids. For me ( even though my schedule didn't allow me to cache much last year ) it's about doing something with my kids that gets them off the X-Box and lets them see a little more of the outside. :laughing:

What's this "geocaching" everyone is on about? Who are you people? Where am I?

Whoops! I HATE when that happens. That wasn't Joe's post, that was me. *wave*

Why does my post say 'joe gremlin'? :laughing:

Just kidding.

The point of the game, to me, is to get my butt off the couch and visit locations that I wouldn't normally go to. A side benefit is the opportunity to improve my health with a little exercise.

You've tried it; now you have a decision to make. You can look for different kinds of caches to see if they are more your cup of tea, or you can stop playing and go back to other hobbies.

I geocache because of all the hot chicks ... and because my wife lets me. :laughing:

Let me tell you, if you want hot chicks, I can perhaps give you a few pointers:

My Aussie wife Sue and I got married late last March, and for our wedding gift to each other, we drove -- immediately after the ceremeony -- to the local feed and grain store, where we picked out a dozen baby chicks from among a hundred hottie chicks basking under a heat lamp, and we raised them in a brooder box in the living room. They are now all full-grown, and out in our poultry pen, along with our other 50-odd chickens, ducks and geese, and they are very happy. So, I know what you mean about hottie chicks, and my wife Sue loves them too!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Sport, game, hobby, call it what you will, it is just plain fun. I agree with most of what has been said already. The places, the sights, the people, the exercise, they are all a part of the fun. And so is the thought that we, as geocachers, have our secrets, shared under the noses of the rest of the world. Geocaching has something for everyone who enjoys it, but isn't for everyone. Most of the geocachers I have met have one thing in common, they tend to look past their one little corner of the world. They want to know what is over the hill or around the corner. The little window that sits above the keyboard isn't big enough for them. For them truth and happiness can't be found in any one place, it must be searched for everywhere.

I hope you find a way to search for happiness that works for you. I bet that in the long run you won't find it in a video game, but that may be the first step along your path. Keep trying new things, you won't enjoy them all, but you won't know if you don't try.

Sport, game, hobby, call it what you will, it is just plain fun. I agree with most of what has been said already. The places, the sights, the people, the exercise, they are all a part of the fun. And so is the thought that we, as geocachers, have our secrets, shared under the noses of the rest of the world. Geocaching has something for everyone who enjoys it, but isn't for everyone. Most of the geocachers I have met have one thing in common, they tend to look past their one little corner of the world. They want to know what is over the hill or around the corner. The little window that sits above the keyboard isn't big enough for them. For them truth and happiness can't be found in any one place, it must be searched for everywhere.

Maybe that should be on the front page of the brochure, best explanation I've heard yet.

When my 13 year old son and I went on a long hike through the mountains to find a cache and he gave me a big hug to tell me he loved me and that he really enjoyed being outdoors and seeing all the cool things that nature provides.

That's was something I'll never forget. That's why I enjoy geocaching.

Remember being a kid and how you felt at Easter hunting Easter eggs? That's how it feels to me. Except now I know where the eggs are and I have to drive to get them. Besides look at all the cool things that you get to see and do to get them. I actually climbed a tree to get to a cache. I havn't done that since I was a kid. And it felt good. :smile:

I actually enjoy looking at the cache pages and planning where we're going to go find caches as much as I enjoy caching. Maryland doesn't have the great vistas you'll find in the rockies but there are things that will surprise you. We've only lived here a little over 2 years so just about every place is new to us.

So why cache? Becasue we like to explore new places and see new things.