Day Or Night Poll

Marko505

Night caching has both pros and cons.

The biggest con I can see is you miss some of the scenery, especially in the woods. Urban night caching can provide nice scenery, though, because of the way things are lit up.

We've not gone night caching simply for it being night caching. We simply don't let the night slow us down.

One word of warning: watch for limbs at eye level. Holding your flashlight low keeps them in the dark and you can put an eye out. Keep your flashlight high like you see how cops in the movies hold them or buy a keep headlamp. The limb will be lit up and you will instinctively flinch if you can see it. It could save a serious injury.

Night caching has both pros and cons.

The biggest con I can see is you miss some of the scenery, especially in the woods...

With the exception of most panoramic views, night caching in the woods can offer some spectacular scenery and a whole different set of flora/fuana. Of course, the amount of noise and artificial light you create may help or hinder this.

I always enjoy night caching in the woods, but I'm quite comfortable in the woods at night; urban night caching is fun too, but sometimes people get suspicious or just plain dangerous in town after dark. :o:lol:

I always enjoy night caching in the woods, but I'm quite comfortable in the woods at night; urban night caching is fun too, but sometimes people get suspicious or just plain dangerous in town after dark. :lol::o

I love to night cache, but then I must have explained geocaching to over 100 different cops in the Greater Houston area as a result....to each his/her own :o

We went on a night cache recently (one that could only be done at night, set up with reflectors in the woods) and it was the BEST cache fun we've had. Kind of spooky with beavers splashing nearby and a full moon. Can't wait to do another like that.

We have also night cached for ordinary caches, and I always feel wierd looking through bushes with a flashlight, people drive by slowly, presumably to write down our license plate numbers.

It is easier during the day, you can see more and the cache usually stands out more, but caching at night is fun. There were a few that I wouldn't want to do at night, along cliffs, etc.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is: If you hide it, I will come find it.

Both have good and bad.

Night hunts are definetly more thrilling in general. Especially solo hunts, its got a high heeby-jeeby factor :lol: . But total count of hits is much lower. And risks are higher as well. Injury,getting lost,getting busted by cops/muggles/dogs and such. A couple of recent hunts were night only. They use reflective tacks on trees to lead you into 1. swamp 2. deep dark walking trail. Both were a blast of course. :o

When I say lost, I meant the time I went in thinking it was going to be a easy find, but turned out it was way farther than I thought.(didnt pay attention to distance on GPS) I bushwacked in thinking it was close too so there was no path to return on. I only had 1 flashlight on me(rechargable) so when I ended up wayy out in nowhere with a flashlight going dead, well lets just say it wasnt a cache I'll forget anytime soon. Many lessons learned that night. I now carry 2 regular battery flashlights in addition to the rechargeable. I make sure to double check distance, take the cell phone even on those "easy" caches. In general I learned night hunts are not to be taken lightly. I got cocky and was put in my place. :o

Day hunts make for faster finds and are nice to enjoy the scenery. But I sure do hate being on guard all the time for muggles. Today was a 15 caches in 7hours following a pretty large route spanning 5 towns. No way could I have done that at night. I might have gotten 1/2 that.

For thills n chills its all about night caching. For knocking out a bunch on a long route, gotta do day hunts.