Gps Pants

Fox Finder

Really! Columbia makes a pair of pants that are very GPS friendly. So much so that they are called, (drum roll please) GPS pants! They have a cavernous pocket that will hold perhaps even a 1st or 2nd generation GPSr. They even have little pocklets (that's right) to hold a flip-type phone, or spare GPS food.

Oh, they're rather comfortable and quite fashionable too. Females will feel in style with these also.

I found them at Dick's Sporting Goods, and I believe I spotted them in Campmor and REI catalogs. Get them!

Not GPS enough!

I need pants that are heavily reinforced and waterproof in the seat and knees, for all the kneeling on and sliding down things on my rump that I do. I've been thinking about this all Winter. Do you know how many times I've sat in the snow to log a cache until I lost all feeling in the lower 48? Or done this:

f09881eb-e1b9-417a-8242-2de0951168b8.jpg

I've been meaning to start a thread, but I was afraid if I asked about pants with leather-reinforced buttocks, people would get the wrong idea.

Why would you want to carry a GPS in your pants pocket? When I'm not holding mine in my hand, I keep it on a lanyard around my neck, or in a vest pocket if I'm wearing my vest for a longer hike. Both methods maintain satellite lock.

I usually keep my eXplorist in my pocket until it starts beeping to tell me I'm close. Rarely have a problem maintaining lock.

Why would you want to carry a GPS in your pants pocket? When I'm not holding mine in my hand, I keep it on a lanyard around my neck, or in a vest pocket if I'm wearing my vest for a longer hike. Both methods maintain satellite lock.

I usually keep my eXplorist in my pocket until it starts beeping to tell me I'm close. Rarely have a problem maintaining lock.

Me too. My eXplorist 200 nearly always maintains sat contact no matter where I keep it. I tried the link but couldn't find "gps pants." After seeing Tony Stewart lounge pants and something called Columbia Stroke pants I gave up...

For any of you who live near a LL Bean factory outlet (there is one in Perryville MD) they are selling hiking pants for as low as $4.95 ($9.95 in some sizes). Great pants too, complete with a pocket for your GPS ( it will fit an eXplorist, eTrex or Geko). I picked up several pairs for myself and even grabbed a pair to stick in a cache for a FTF prize (if the finder happens to wear a 36W 30L).

These aren't the exact same pants, but they are very similar to these:

1066bf02-468d-4329-ad5c-2db85b0eda43.jpg

For any of you who live near a LL Bean factory outlet (there is one in Perryville MD) they are selling hiking pants for as low as $4.95 ($9.95 in some sizes). Great pants too, complete with a pocket for your GPS ( it will fit an eXplorist, eTrex or Geko). I picked up several pairs for myself and even grabbed a pair to stick in a cache for a FTF prize (if the finder happens to wear a 36W 30L).

These aren't the exact same pants, but they are very similar to these:

1066bf02-468d-4329-ad5c-2db85b0eda43.jpg

Catalog number please!!

I have a pair of generic cargo pants I bought at Wally World; they have pockets everywhere. On each leg there's a big flapped pocket with velcro, which is just perfect for 1/4 folded printouts and maps. On the outside of that pocket is one just the right size for my eTrex. It fits like a holster. When I want to put away the GPSr but maintain a lock, I just holster it there. I'm not a lanyard kinda guy; I like the eTrex to be secure and not flopping around while I'm climbing over and under obstacles. These pants also zip off to make shorts. They didn't have ankle cinches, but my girlfriend added those for me. A little reinforcement in the right areas, some water-proofing, and these would be the perfect pants.

Not GPS enough!

I need pants that are heavily reinforced and waterproof in the seat and knees, for all the kneeling on and sliding down things on my rump that I do. I've been thinking about this all Winter. Do you know how many times I've sat in the snow to log a cache until I lost all feeling in the lower 48? Or done this:

I've been meaning to start a thread, but I was afraid if I asked about pants with leather-reinforced buttocks, people would get the wrong idea.

Auntie, you ought to patten that idea for the reinforced and waterproof seat and knees quick! Then sell it to the highest bidder on E-Bay or to WallyWorld. :lol: You could probably make a little money - or a years worth of free reinforced pants.

This is really a good idea for the ladies. Anyone want to take Auntie up on her idea?

Shirley~

Not GPS enough!

A picture is worth a thousand words........ Auntie needs a wet suit!!!!

I'm partial to the REI Sahara pants for caching, and have several pairs. They are a little lightweight, so there are 3-4 days in the cold NC winter when I need to wear thermals underneath. :) It also means they are still comfortable in all but the hottest summer days too.

There are two cargo style pockets; one has a zipper closure for absolutly cannot lose stuff like wallets and keys, the other has a small slot pocket for easy pen access, and they are convertable for the shorts only days as well. 100% nylon means they dry out real fast too. B)

I'm partial to the REI Sahara pants for caching, and have several pairs. They are a little lightweight, so there are 3-4 days in the cold NC winter when I need to wear thermals underneath. :) It also means they are still comfortable in all but the hottest summer days too.

There are two cargo style pockets; one has a zipper closure for absolutly cannot lose stuff like wallets and keys, the other has a small slot pocket for easy pen access, and they are convertable for the shorts only days as well. 100% nylon means they dry out real fast too. B)

And you look very nice in them Wimsey

Riffsterbegins.jpg

pants, schmants..... unbifurcation rules!

I wear my utilikilt just about anywhere, though I might choose my undergarments wisely for those colder days or the days with more burrs than grass...

Loads of pockets, built in key clip, hammer holster that doubles as a gps sling/beerglass holder, best of all........ free flow airconditioning :)

Not GPS enough!

OMG!!! Was that stain made by the dirt on the ground, or the dirt you produced by the scare factor sliding down that hill :laughing:

Sorry, but that is too funny, I know if it were me, that stained wouldn't have been made from mother natures dirt. How long where you picking leaves out of every orfice of your body for?

The cargo pants look pretty snazzy though....

Edited by uncleboogie