Bill Hemphill Has Passed Away

Bill passed away at 5.00am this morning. He died peacefully at home in his own bed and, more importantly, Angela was with him at the end . His funeral will be held this Wednesday, 22nd February at 2.30pm at Craigton Crematorium. Angela has asked for the hearse to leave from their house at 2.10pm so they can have one last journey together.

I don't know at this time whether Angela would like guests at the funeral or not yet? Angela has thanked everybody for their support during Bill's illness, and has said both of them appreciated it.

Although I am sure everyone knows who Bill Hemphill is, for those that don't he was part of Team Ullium and he has been battling cancer since last year.

All our thoughts should now be with Angela and her family.

That's very sad news Dave, although not completely unexpected it is still very sad. Thanks for keeping us up to date with news on Bill's health in previous months, and please pass on my kindest wishes to Angela if/when you see her.

I'll never forget meeting Bill by chance when we were in Scotland at Waterfall and Ruin. It was such a nice cache, made better by Bill and Angela's company on the walk there and back.

Stuey

Edited by Stuey

'Bye, mate...

billh.JPG

-Wlw

Out of all the nice things that have been said on here, this post is the one that has left the lump in my throat.

I think it may be due to the fact that the day the picture was taken was an extremely enjoyable day*, and I had just finished having a good long laugh at Bill, Angela and Paul.

Certainly a day and a friend that I won't ever forget.

*One of many enjoyable days that I have had the honour to spend with Bill and Angela.

I’ve known Bill for less than two years and the first time I met him was at the SGDO in Bute last year. The thing that strikes me as strange is that I have only known him for a short time, because I feel as if I’ve known him all my life. I’m pretty certain that anyone who has met Bill and spent any time in conversation with him will feel the same.

Bill had many interests and could talk to anyone about anything, but what came across to me was that his main interest was the people around him. I think for Bill, geocaching brought together his love of the outdoors and his love of friends and friendship. Just look at the number of event caches he attended, including a haul to Shropshire and back as recently as September!

He had that special gift of warmth that made you feel that you were his best friend. Everyone was included, but I’m convinced everyone was special to him.

And his most special friend of all? – Angela. He loved and adored Angela, his eyes sparkled when he looked at her! You only need to skim through his logs to see her there with him. Poor Angela must be devastated. I hope she knows that we’re all thinking about her when we think about Bill.

abe9a3de-f308-480d-9a30-203dcc273f9c.jpg

Bill at the Shropshire cache bash

That's sad news indeed. My thoughts are with Angela and the rest of his family.

I first met Bill and Angela on the way to 'Waterfall and Ruin' a couple of years ago. Since that time we've met again on several occasions, sunk a pint or three of good Scottish ale and chatted about our shared interests.... which weren't limited to geocaching. Bill was an 'old biker' too and we had more in common than I could have imagined. I'm proud to be able to say that he was a friend.

I'm going to stop there, 'cos I can't see through my tears :laughing:

9ed3b3e0-41d6-4fb5-a7bf-20e1570d1730.jpg

I'm proud that I introduced Bill to geocaching: a hobby which suited his outgoing character and love of the outdoors. But of course, this was only part of a short closing chapter in a full and varied life, from boxer and Glasgow cinema "bouncer" to marathon runner and Maths graduate (via fisherman and wilderness explorer). And a lot more!

With a robust and cheeky sense of humour, and an Ally McCoist twinkle in his eye, Bill would only upset those who didn't see that his straightforward approach was backed by a great warmth and generosity. It was a privilege to spend a couple of days in the company of Bill and Angela last year, and so sad that, after his health seemed to be picking up at last, he was struck down so cruelly. Hopefully, the caches he set up will continue for some time, as our memorial to a fine man.

HH

(Photo: Bill on top of the hill near Today's Waddle which we enjoyed together last January - note the trademark Leki Pole).

The first time I met Bill and Angela was at the first Scottish Geocachers Day Out in August 2004. Whilst everyone else was climbing Ben Nevis, we had planned an assault on the lower level caches. We had arranged to meet at a car park on Rannoch Moor, but the midgies were out in such swarms that we couldn’t leave the safety of our cars. Instead we sat there, parked side by side and spoke to each other on our mobile phones! That first day I spent in Bill’s company showed me exactly what kind of man he was - generous, thoughtful and with a wicked sense of humour! We even saw the infamous leki pole in action that day - he stood in the middle of a fast-flowing burn and made us grab hold of it whilst he helped pull us over the water.

Since that day, there have been many more occasions where I have spent time in Bills company - both out caching and socially, and I have so many memories of him. These include:

Bill moving one of my caches (on my request) and someone trying to find it at the old hiding place the following day - Bill laughed so much about that (sorry Jodel!)

Bill being my guide during a caching trip to Glasgow - I would never have found my way to the caches so quickly without Bill to tell me what roads to take - this was particularly amazing because I usually used to tease him about his navigation skills after having previous experience of following him on convoluted routes to cache sites!

Bill’s relationship with my wee man - who he always called his “wee pal”

Bill insisting to me that he would be able to solve marmals “Su Doku Lagoons” cache in about half an hour!

This latter memory is connected to something that I will always treasure - Bill was my puzzle cache partner. We would usually work on them together, sharing ideas and thoughts, but still doing the hard bits individually - if one of us had solved a section we would encourage the other to get there too, so we both had the satisfaction of having cracked them. If we thought we’d solved it, and if the cache happened to be nearer to my area of Scotland, I would go to look for it and once I’d found it I would phone him straight away - he would always be so chuffed that we’d solved it successfully! Since his illness, puzzle caches haven’t held the same appeal for me.

He was one of a kind, and I will miss him so much.

Only met Bill the once at "waterfall and ruin" Aug 04, But can still remember to this day what a wonderful person he came across as. Whenever I think of that great event organised by the Scottish Geocachers and my first ascent of Ben Nevis, I always remember the evening before meeting Bill and Angela. Very very sad news.

Please pass my condolences onto Angela.

Mike

Myself and a few others attended Bill's funeral today. You don't know half of what a person has done in their life until they have gone. It was not surprising why Bill had a story for every occassion :laughing:

I told Angela about the positive response on both GeoX and here, and she was touched by the kindness.

Although it is still early days for Angela, we were pleased to hear her say that she was going to carry on with Geocaching. So please don't be confused if you see Team Ullium logging caches.

I wish Angela all the best for the future and she knows that we are here for her if she needs us.