New Cache

podlians pod

This year i finally got myself back into skiing after 5 yrs off..

anyways i am planning on trying to go up their a couple more times but im thinking about setting a cache up their my idea however is to put in up on one of the faces ( a double black diamond) in a tree clump or something my question to any and all is any advice on a container to be up in that type of terrain and what would be some good swag/ftf

post here or email please

gregory.schuy@us.army.mil

This year i finally got myself back into skiing after 5 yrs off..

anyways i am planning on trying to go up their a couple more times but im thinking about setting a cache up their my idea however is to put in up on one of the faces ( a double black diamond) in a tree clump or something my question to any and all is any advice on a container to be up in that type of terrain and what would be some good swag/ftf

post here or email please

gregory.schuy@us.army.mil

Hi, good to see you back in geocaching again. First of all, are you taking about cross country or downhill skiing? And where will you be going? Most of my cross-country skiing was in a national park that don't allow caches. I have a virtual at Hurricane Ridge but no new virtuals now. Good luck. Dick, W7WT

I did some caches at Snoq. Pass ski area last year and they were on a black nylon line. Small plastic snap lock containers. They were done in Oct. before the snow fell, so sorry I can't give you more info. You would need some kind of snow retrieval method, so it gets difficult not knowing how deep the snow will be. Many times it can be 10-15 feet deep!......

There are areas that get wind blown and can stay relatively snow free, so if you can find a spot like that a cache would be doable for a ski season. Winter conditions are severe, so you would want something that will hold up to the weather. Pelican cases are very tough. Bison capsuls are waterproof and tough, but you would drive someone nuts trying to find one in the snow.

I have many mountain caches, but only a few I consider findable in winter without some effort. One is at a cell tower site that gets wind blown. I'm sure with the deep snowpack we have above 3,000 ft. it's going to be interesting if you can come up with something.

I did some caches at Snoq. Pass ski area last year and they were on a black nylon line.

Those two caches would be ours. Black and Blue have been in place since February 2003. In the three years since they were placed there have only been three wintertime finders. The other 30 plus finders have done the caches by walking up the slopes in summer. Keep that in mind when placing your cache.

The container that we used is a 3 X 5 X 1 wallet/sunglass holder that we found at REI. These containers have a hard plastic outer shell and are lined with felt. They have a snap lock lid with a rubber seal around the opening. They also have a predrilled lanyard hole at the top of the container. This was important for the way we hid them.

We used about twelve feet of 2 mil nylon cord for each container. Tied one end to the container and the other end as high up in a tree as you can reach. At the time we placed the cache I figure that the snow was about five feet deep and I got the rope tied about six feet above that. I then threw the container and any extra cord into the tree well on the side of the tree oposite the ski run.

thanx for the input

where i plan to put one is at crystal up at the campbell basin just to the right of the avalanche basin and about 200 ft below the throne(whish is at 6600) so if i had to guess i would say the cache would be at or about 6400' their is a section that has a nice little tree clump and theirs where i hope to put one..however even in summer i severly doubt you wont get it without snow shoes...

any input on what could be considered a worthy ftf?

i mean very few finds prob rate as a 5/5 and if had to classify the run it is a double black diamond..

yes i do like the challenging runs:P