Hole In Stump?

anon2000

For cache hiding purposes would it be considered acceptable to drill a micro-sized hole in an old, dead tree stump?

Depends on where it is at? Many land managers may not appreciate that too much.

Are you sure it is dead?

Nowhere else to hide one? Is a micro the most appropriate size for the location?

Just some things to think about....

It's a large public land area with many trees. Also many dead trees, some down on the ground, some still standing. There is no forestry management being done in this area, it's left in it's natural state. The particular spot I am thinking of is a nice clearing with only this one dead tree stump in the vicinity. In the grand scheme of nature, nothing is being harmed by drilling this one small hole. I wanted to see if this will be generally accepted by other cachers as within the Goecache rules of "appropriate hiding methods". I have a devious little camo plan. :laughing:

Look for some natural cover that you could use, say some of the stump is really rotten or some of the bark is peeling off or a hole that is already there. I hid a film can in a natural hole in a tree then glued & screwed a section of fallen branch to the lid and low & behold natural camo that looks like it should be there.

One problem you could run into would be the known fact that bears tear apart old logs looking for grubs.

So what I have done is use a film size container, take a log from my woodpile drill a hole in it, insert film container. Then place the log in a rocky crevice. Just drives them nuts when they have to look for it.

Remember that they are only guidelines and if you can find a neat way, well then do it and keep it quiet.

The listing guidelines are your friend. From the list of "Off Limits" stuff:

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method.

Or maybe the listing guidelines are *not* your friend. :laughing:

The guideline specifically refers to providing a clue or a logging method. It doesn't say anything about drilling a hole in a dead tree to hide a cache. It is clearly meant to forbid defacing something with grafitti. Aside from the guidelines, though, most cachers would agree that permanently altering property for the purpose of a hide is probably not a good idea - at least not without permission of the property owner. Some reviewers obviously like simplistic interpretations of the guidelines. It makes their job easier.

Edited by tozainamboku

Oh piffle. Go ahead and drill your hole. People are using hollowed out logs all the time, and those are just dead stumps no longer attached to dirt.

Glue your bark to the lid and have at it.

Hmmm.... logs that are already hollow and drilling a hole. I just don't see the similarities. ;)

rustysrevenge_3.jpg

Hmm looking at pictures in the cool container thread I see the similarities. :)

Some of the best caches that I have found are in dead stumps/logs that have had holes drilled into them. Some examples: 35mm micro in an oak stick, bottle in a hollow log, ammo can in a custom built log, plastic jar in a stump hole. The ammo can was in a pine log that had been cut in half and then holowed out. THe hider placed it between two sections of a pine log that had fallen in the woods. Even though the cache was hidden in a half log it was still very challenging to find. I literally stepped right over it while searching.

A lot of people don't like micros in the woods if a bigger cache can be placed there so you might want to use the micro as a stage for a multi or to give coords to a bigger cache nearby. Personally I don't mind the micros as long as I know upfront that I'm looking for a micro in the woods.

This sounds very much like a micro in the woods. I find that any micro in the woods is a bad idea.

With all due respect to the Supreme Commander, Uber Geek and Evil Overlord ... If you want to hide a micro in the woods ... GO FOR IT!!! Just remember, you've been warned. The log entries for your micro may have to be censored in some states. :lol: And for cring out loud, if you want to drill a small hole in a dead tree stump ... (get permission and) GO FOR IT!!! If you are looking for unanimous approval in these forums, forget it. Ain't gonna happen.

Edited by clearpath

The listing guidelines are your friend. From the list of "Off Limits" stuff:

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method.

Or maybe the listing guidelines are *not* your friend. :laughing:

...but what he describes is neither a clue nor a logging method. The written guidelines are his friend.

This sounds very much like a micro in the woods. I find that any micro in the woods is a bad idea.

With all due respect to the Supreme Commander, Uber Geek and Evil Overlord ... If you want to hide a micro in the woods ... GO FOR IT!!! Just remember, you've been warned. The log entries for your micro may have to be censored in some states. :laughing: And for cring out loud, if you want to drill a small hole in a dead tree stump ... (get permission and) GO FOR IT!!! If you are looking for unanimous approval in these forums, forget it. Ain't gonna happen.

For once, I completely agree with Clearpath!

BTW - *I* find that *hunting for* a micro in the woods is a bad idea. But sometimes I do it anyway. :laughing: