My Concerns

Torchbearer

I just wanted to confide some of my worries. I have only a handful of finds but I really enjoy geocaching. I think it is a great way to see new places and to get outdoors. I just started reading the forums again and I find there are a lot of articles about caches being seen as a threat to those who do not know what they are. I have read about how to deal with muggles in the event they ask us what we are doing. I, myself, have made up my mind to tell the truth, especially to the authorities. However, I don't want to be hauled in and questioned about something that is as harmless as geocaching. In my area, I feel law enforcement truly would not understand if I tried to explain it to them. One of my first finds was a cache hidden in a woodline along the side of a highway. I took my, at the time, 3 year old son with me. The whole time I was thinking what must be going through people's heads who saw me park along the side of the road, get a young child, out of the backseat, and disappear into a bunch of thick trees. Anyone would consider it strange around here. I guess what I'm trying to get at is should I really worry so much about it or should I simply just cache on and cross that bridge when I get there. I don't want to be the one who ruins it all for everyone else by getting pulled in and a whole big scene erupts over a little tupperware container. I really want to get more involved in this sport but am a little fearful in this post 911 world of ours.

Thanks for your time.

Neurotically yours :laughing:

Torchbearer

Edited by Torchbearer

...snip...

I really want to get more involved in this sport but am a little fearful in this post 911 world of ours.

Thanks for your time.

Neurotically yours :laughing:

Torchbearer

Print several copies of the brochure out and make sure you have them handy. SWMBO and I got stopped by the cops for the first time on our last hunt; we explained what we were doing, showed him the cache and gave him a brochure. We might have a convert on our hands!

I can understand your concerns but remember, unless you are somewhere you are not supposed to be, you are most likely doing nothing wrong. Collectively, I think we have been approached by police officers 5 or 6 times. In each case we told the officer the truth or an abrevieated version of it. You are most likely to draw attention and suspicion if you feel like you are doing something wrong. Relax, enjoy it, and as long as you are where you are supposed to be...have fun! As far as parking the car and taking off into the woods with your 3 year old, I would just have assumed that the little guy REALLY had to go.. It's amazing what you can get away with when you have kids! When I want to have an excuse for poking about in wooded or bushy areas I had my 4 and 6 year old boys little bags or boxes and have them pickup leaves or pinecones or acorns. Have fun!

As long as you aren't trespassing just act like your not doing anything wrong - mostly because your not. I think it is good that our police are a bit more vigilant - carry the brochure - tell the truth to authorites and have fun!!

(BTW - I too have a 3 year old and have hauled him off into the trees several times - got questioned by a curious onlooker once but then he understood)

Just like with any job, there are all kinds of people in law enforcement. I think you will find that most of us are just trying to help things work smoothly and safely. The large majority of LEOs that you contact while caching, just want to make sure they aren't missing criminal activity. I would rather stop and talk to 300 people walking their kids into the woods for inocent reasons (caching, potty break, pine cone cellecting, snipe hunting, whatever) than drive by and leave one uncontacted and find out the situation was less than innocent and I did nothing. As soon as I'm convinced your not hurting anyone, you are on your way.

You aren't doing anything illegal (probably :laughing: ). Relax and enjoy. Some cops are going to come off less than professional at times (nobody is perfect) but the large majority just want to protect your community.

Your concerns are understandable. I think everyone realizes that things may look odd to an outsider

but I'm not going to let the terrorists win. If we don't get out and live a normal life (if you can call geocachers normal....) then the terrorists have won. This still is a free country and not a police state so just do your thing (as long as it's legal) and enjoy life. It's short enough the way it is.

You also have to remember there is another extreme. Many of us have had cases where after explaining to LEO about geocaching, that they stop and assist in helping to find the cache.

ROTFL!! Yeah, I've had that happen too. We were out looking for a blinker behind a shopping center after dark when he came to see what we were doing. I asked if he had ever heard of geocaching and he had. Next thing I know, he's using the spotlight to try and help and suggesting I climb up and investigate the thing on the roof of the maintanence shed. LOL. Talk about gung ho!

My fiance and I where out looking for a cache last summer in a small park on the southside of the city. About 10 minutes into our search a police car pulled up and two police officers stepped out and the one officer yells out "First to find!!" This caught us by suprise and we got a laugh out of it. It turns out, the officer is an avid geocacher. She jokingly said that with all of the geocachers picking up the trash we are making it too easy on the parks and rec employees. She was cool. :laughing:

You also have to remember there is another extreme. Many of us have had cases where after explaining to LEO about geocaching, that they stop and assist in helping to find the cache.

ROTFL!! Yeah, I've had that happen too. We were out looking for a blinker behind a shopping center after dark when he came to see what we were doing. I asked if he had ever heard of geocaching and he had. Next thing I know, he's using the spotlight to try and help and suggesting I climb up and investigate the thing on the roof of the maintanence shed. LOL. Talk about gung ho!

It's so nice to hear about friendly LEO's!! I had an awesome experience with an officer (Gotta LOVE those high powered lights attached to their car!! WOW!) He helped me look for a good 10-15 mins turns out we were looking everywhere but where we should be!! Haha..but I used to be sooo nervous about caching and LEO's that having him help me out made me feel MUCH better! Now I dont worry about it anymore!

Thank you all for the great stories and tips. It really sounds like LEO's are very cool about it. It's definately eased my tensions about the whole thing. I'm going to print out some of the brochures to keep on hand just in case I have to expain it to someone. Perhaps I can even introduce someone to the game.