Going Paperless, Now What?

cal25

After a long and slow start including loseing a motherboard, I have finally gotten a group of caches loaded to a Palm m125. It looks like this will be the way cary the info needed without looking up, printing out, or making notes about cache sites. I have never used a PDA or needed one till now. My question is what else can I use it for? I guess I could use it take note of my finds to keep track of till time to log them back at home.

Also, anything to look out for? I am going to Galveston Tx his weekend and I have printed out the cache pages for the area just in case I still dont have it down right.

On our Tungsten E .... we store pictures, MP3s, take notes at the cache site as to where the hide was found, log it as found so the notes can be hotsynced out. We always update PQs and PDA right before a big caching day so we avoid going to a disabled cache. Read it well so you get in parking coordinates when needed. Reading past logs is helpful when we can not find it .... as well as hints. :laughing: ImpalaBob

After a long and slow start including loseing a motherboard, I have finally gotten a group of caches loaded to a Palm m125. ....My question is what else can I use it for? I guess I could use it take note of my finds to keep track of till time to log them back at home....

Are you using Cachemate? If you are, don't overlook the "log" feature where you can log the cache from the cache page on your Palm, then convert it to a memo which will be transferred to your PC during synchronization. From there, you can cut&paste to log online.

Besides that - I find the address&phone book, the day planner, and the To Do list features of the Palm almost indespensable for everyday business.

Are you using Cachemate? If you are, don't overlook the "log" feature where you can log the cache from the cache page on your Palm, then convert it to a memo which will be transferred to your PC during synchronization. From there, you can cut&paste to log online.

If you also use GSAK, then you can inport data from CacheMate to GSAK (updating your records) and then use GSAK to log your find on GC.com

The calendar for keeping track of what I have to do (scheduling caching) & the memo pad for making notes about new caches are two functions I use a lot.

One thing to remember about the M125, it's the only device I've seen where the batteries go in 'backwards' - the spring is on the positive side (not the negitive as is usual). I dropped my once and by the time I got the batteries in the right way (I kept putting them in the way everything else does) I'd lost all the data on the unit.

I recently purchased Back Country Navigator for my iPAQ HX4700. It is an awesome (IMHO) topo and aerial mapping program for PocketPCs. I've now used it on several caches. Along with high-quality maps it also loads all GPX details, so I have the cache notes and the hints, if needed. I picked up a couple of cables so I can plug the iPAQ into my Garmin Etrex Legend and track my progress in real-time on my 4" true VGA hi-res screen. I actually used it on one cache yesterday and was amazed to be able to view my progress on the topo map, helping to narrow down the exact location of the cache. Get this- it apparently runs on a SQL database on the PPC.

The other cool part is there are no maps to buy and/or calibrate. Obtain an Internet connection and dl the maps directly to the PPC.

Downside is it doesn't track routes on the screen yet.

I also use the PDF viewer for PPCs. Create a PDF of the cache from geocaching.com's website and I dl it to my ppc. I use GPXSonar too.