Garmin 60csx

I live in Leeds UK. I am considering purchasing a 60csx. I am curious that if I purchased the handset in the US will it work in the UK? What are the pros and cons of doing this? Or doesn anyone have a suggestion on which hand help Garmin make that would be a better option. Also can the 60csx be used as a sat-nav in the car? Thanks for reading these questions. I look forward to some responses.

I live in Leeds UK. I am considering purchasing a 60csx. I am curious that if I purchased the handset in the US will it work in the UK? What are the pros and cons of doing this?

It will work anywhere in the world, regardless of where you buy it.

However, a unit purchased from a US vendor will almost certainly have the N. America basemap installed, rather than a European version.

Since these basemaps cannot be changed (except at the factory) you'd have to buy some additional mapping for it. More detailed maps are needed for useful car nav anyway, since the basemaps do not contain much detail.

-Wlw

I have just purchased a GPSMAP 60CSx - my thoughts:

1. US version will have the US basemap, if you want to use mapping in Europe factor in the cost of buying these maps to map sure the deal is still good.

2. Buy a big MicroSD card - I got a 512Mb card for £30- this holds LOTS of maps now.

3. To use as a SatNav in the car you will need the City Select maps - these provide POI and turn by turn routing in the car. There is an auto kit you can buy that comes with the Euro road maps, 12v power lead and in car mount.

Using answers two and three, a US purchased GPS could be used in the UK with full map cover and in car SatNav use.

I have to say that I am really happy with the quick startup /accuracy on the unit - just need to learn how to drive it properly.

Ed

I live in Leeds UK. I am considering purchasing a 60csx. I am curious that if I purchased the handset in the US will it work in the UK? What are the pros and cons of doing this?

It will work anywhere in the world, regardless of where you buy it.

However, a unit purchased from a US vendor will almost certainly have the N. America basemap installed, rather than a European version.

Since these basemaps cannot be changed (except at the factory) you'd have to buy some additional mapping for it. More detailed maps are needed for useful car nav anyway, since the basemaps do not contain much detail.

-Wlw

Thanks wildlifewriter. What do some of these maps cost?

I bought a 60CSx a few weeks ago and love it. More information about my thoughts are posted here on GAGB.

The 60 can provide turn-by turn directions in car, but not proper spoken sat-nav. North American versions will have athe North American basemap, but this isn't much good anyway - most people load more detailed UK maps which you can do with an imported one. However, importing one isn't much cheaper if you pay the import duty.

Basemaps can be changed (Stonefisk has done this) but it's not easy.

Thanks wildlifewriter. What do some of these maps cost?

That depends. You may find some dealers who will the offer the unit, car mounting kit and detailed maps as a bundle.

As a standalone item, City Select V7 is scarce in the shops just now. This is because a new version is due to be released shortly - this will be called City Navigator Europe, rather than City Select. Garmin told me the other day that it would shipping within three weeks. (Mind you, they told me exactly the same thing just before Christmas.) :huh:

-Wlw

Basemaps can be changed (Stonefisk has done this) but it's not easy.

On most Garmin handhelds, (other than some iQue's) the basemap is held either in EPROM or flash-ROM. Neither of these can be altered readily by an "ordinary" user. (And any attempt to do so would almost certainly invalidate the warranty.)

I accept that Stonefisk is not ordinary.

-Wlw

I have been considering buying the 60csx also for the last couple of weeks. They seem only to be available by mail order.

Is there a shop outlet in the midlands where i can buy one off the shelf? Also the mapping software.

I thought somewhere like Milletts etc may have GPS machines but they only have Etrex. I already have a legend but want to upgrade.

On most Garmin handhelds, (other than some iQue's) the basemap is held either in EPROM or flash-ROM.

Won't it be held on EEPROM?

It might be in EEPROM but I doubt you can buy or get Garmin to blow you an EU EEPROM!

Another consideration is warranty you might not get any warranty support and also you will not have your 7 year protection which is provided under EU law for goods which fail due to a manufacturing fault.

I have been considering buying the 60csx also for the last couple of weeks. They seem only to be available by mail order.

Is there a shop outlet in the midlands where i can buy one off the shelf? Also the mapping software.

I thought somewhere like Milletts etc may have GPS machines but they only have Etrex. I already have a legend but want to upgrade.

You can preorder one from HERE

got mine last week from

www.gpsw.co.uk