Garmin 60csx Question?

I live in Leeds UK. I am considering purchasing a 60csx. I am curious that if I purchased the handset in the US will it work in the UK? What are the pros and cons of doing this? Or doesn anyone have a suggestion on which hand help Garmin make that would be a better option. Also can the 60csx be used as a sat-nav in the car? Thanks for reading these questions. I look forward to some responses.

if you purchase the unit in the us it will work in the uk, however it will come with the US basemap. So I would suggest you also purchase a detailed mapsource product for your area (city navigator, metroguide, city select or the like). But yes the gps itself will work as it is based off of global satellites.

Actually I live in the US and last summer spent a week or so in the UK (manchester, stockton on t's, york, scarborough, london) and it worked great everywhere I had it with the mapsource maps for the uk I had loaded.

I have a 60csx and it is a great gps ( i upgraded from the 60cs ) don't let some of the bad things being said about it deter you from getting one, most are silly little things that really in the grand scheme of things just don't matter that much.

Good Luck.

kgag.

I live in Leeds UK. I am considering purchasing a 60csx. I am curious that if I purchased the handset in the US will it work in the UK? What are the pros and cons of doing this? Or doesn anyone have a suggestion on which hand help Garmin make that would be a better option. Also can the 60csx be used as a sat-nav in the car? Thanks for reading these questions. I look forward to some responses.

Well, I don't have the 60csx, but I do have a 60cs, and these answers should apply. If you buy a US model, it will have the US basemap. If you buy a European model it will have the Europe basemap. If you install detailed maps (which I assume you will since you are looking at the X model), such as City Navigator Europe, the basemap will be irrelavent. It can be used in the car for in car naviagation. I use mine that way all the time. You need a solid mount such as a RAM or Garmin mount. Also, you will not get voice prompts for upcoming turns like you will with a dedcated auto unit. It beeps when you are a minute out, and again when you are 5 or 6 seconds out.

thanks for the replies!! I am really considering this unit. I will keep you posted on what else I find out about it. If I get it in the states it will cost me less than buying it in the UK.

I plan to do the same, buy the US version, a lot cheaper and use it in EU. Problem we don't see many selling EU City Navigator !!!

Garmin should better produce a standard GPS without any base map as anyway we need to load a better one.

What is the difference between City Navigator and City select ? Looks confusing to me, some site says NAvigator is repalcing Select ?

Also, if we load the US Maps and Topo maps does the GPS set up for metric unit dipsplays all the value in metric (distance, elevations etc...) on the maps ?

Feet for elevation, distance in feet then in quarter mile or mile, strange topo scale of 24000 you can't use easily all this so confusing you need a GPS not to get lost ! :laughing:

thanks for the replies!! I am really considering this unit. I will keep you posted on what else I find out about it. If I get it in the states it will cost me less than buying it in the UK.

I plan to do the same, buy the US version, a lot cheaper and use it in EU. Problem we don't see many selling EU City Navigator !!!

Garmin should better produce a standard GPS without any base map as anyway we need to load a better one.

What is the difference between City Navigator and City select ? Looks confusing to me, some site says NAvigator is repalcing Select ?

Also, if we load the US Maps and Topo maps does the GPS set up for metric unit dipsplays all the value in metric (distance, elevations etc...) on the maps ?

Feet for elevation, distance in feet then in quarter mile or mile, strange topo scale of 24000 you can't use easily all this so confusing you need a GPS not to get lost ! :laughing:

dont get city select, it will not let you autoroute

stick with city navigator, it is wonderful

The generally accepted (and not denied by Garmin) rumor is that City Select North America will not be produced after version 7. The Data in City Select and City Nav is virtually identical, except that the map segment size in Nav is much bigger. With the new X series, you can pop a large memory card in and mip size in not much of an issue.

As to your question about units, there is a setting that you can change the units for distance/speed to metric, and elevation to meters. If you change elevation to meters, the contour lines on the topo maps will display in meters.

For a nice price in Europe look at www.aspidshop.com

In the Eu no tax and free trade.

From the Us you pay vat

the price difference can be quite small so keep looking.

For city select europe see www.futurumshop.nl 179 euro and 2 unlocks sell the second?

and you get v8 upgrade for free.

dont get city select, it will not let you autoroute

stick with city navigator, it is wonderful

Your info here is not correct. I have city Select NA V7 and it autoroutes just fine and dandy on both the computer and on the GPS.

For a nice price in Europe look at www.aspidshop.com

In the Eu no tax and free trade.

From the Us you pay vat

the price difference can be quite small so keep looking.

For city select europe see www.futurumshop.nl 179 euro and 2 unlocks sell the second?

and you get v8 upgrade for free.

Sorry but even at aspidshop, the price is way higher than in the US and the VAT IS included in the price (21%) !

I plan to buy it in the US and of course not to pay the EU tax as they are horrendous (21% compared to the 6% US sale tax !)

Same for City Navigator EU, cheaper in the US, so !

I've been looking at buying a Garmin 60CSx direct from USA as well as (1) these Units aren't yet available in Australia and (2) I have heard whispers that the price will be close to A$1000.00 (US$730.00) - just for the boxed Unit alone (Map software additional). Whereas I would like to take the option of buying from USA direct, my major concern is with the after sales warranty and (possibly) the need to return to Supplier for repair / replacement. Reading through some of the forums out there - some purchases have had to return the CSx Unit a couple of times for repair / replacement. My questions is - "do the Supplier's in USA generally pay for the return Courier costs (if the Unit has been purchsed from another country like from say Australia) or are the costs "to" and "from" each time there is a "return" issue to be borne by the purchaser ?" This could add quite a bit to the "great" price if there is a problem with the Unit (and the long trip from USA to Australia could just adds to the possiblity of a D.O.A. Unit. Also there is the issue of downtime with being without the Unit for longer periods than if purchased locally. Anyway - any comments ? Thanks.