Happy 5th Anniversary Ontario

The Blue Quasar

Today is the 5th Anniversary of the first successful Geocache in Ontario

Deer Bait

This also happened to be my first cache, although I didn't know it's significance at the time.

This cache illustrates, to me anyway, how a properly set up and enjoyable cache can inspire others and has made Geocaching in Ontario a success.

Happy Anniversary!

If you have a story about how Deer Bait inspired your caching or affected the way you cache, feel free to share your thoughts here.

:huh: The Blue Quasar

Ah, Deer Bait I know you well...

Maybe not as well as some others but thanks to Lugnuts my first visit was very pleasant. He and his uncle met Capjap and I armed with Topos, printouts, plenty of water, extensive research and interviewing of fellow cachers who had found the cache previously. We were all set for whatever challenge that awaited us. The walk was pleasant (even the time of year was calculated I seemed to remember) and we found the cache and avoided most of the "road apples" left from horses and the tearing up of the path due to mountain bikes. Despite the longer walk, we still had enough energy to do the other 3 caches in the park. I was surprised as I had read the logs extensively and was prepared for a huge challenge (I seem to recall Algonquin Bound's adventures were particularly well documented). For me sometimes it doesn't pay to read the logs as the cache becomes absolutely monumental and I tend to leave it for "later"....thankfully I have friends who say "Let's do it!"

I have returned to the area a few times for varying reasons and in varying seasons (twice on October 11th!) and Short Hills is certainly high on my list of favourite hikes (except that huge hill right at the end that you have to get up to reach your car!)

Well before we could even think about a plaque or a bench, we would have to secure permission for Ontario Parks.

Since they don't allow any new caches to be placed, this might be a tough thing to get approved.

But we could ask our contact at Ontario Parks, if there actually was serious commitment from enough people.

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

Well, I've still got to log that cache - but count me in. I mentioned the idea because I like it.

An option that *may* be more attractive to Ontario Parks would be to put the plaque *on* a trail near the cache instead of right at the cache site. Certainly doesn't hurt to ask them. As for the kicking in the $$ I would hope more than ONE person could kick a few $$ in for the thing - but I have no idea how much $$ is involved in this sort of thing.

BQ is right though, Parks Ontario have to give it a 'thumbs up' before any meaningful discussion about how to finance / what should it say / when to place can take place.

- Northernpenguin

I wonder if a plaque placed "near" the cache could possibly trigger some non-cachers to start stomping around off-trail trying to find the "treasure". I haven't done Deer Bait as yet so I have no idea of the layout and am just thinking out loud. Are there any spots between parking and cache location where a "donated by" bench could be placed?

Olar

I wonder if a plaque placed "near" the cache could possibly trigger some non-cachers to start stomping around off-trail trying to find the "treasure". I haven't done Deer Bait as yet so I have no idea of the layout and am just thinking out loud. Are there any spots between parking and cache location where a "donated by" bench could be placed?

Olar

That's a good point, Olar. Perhaps the plaque should be down at one of those pavilions/signboards where the trails junction in that park. If it reads that the cache was placed "within 200 metres of this point", that's going to give the treasure hunters a seemingly impossible task. I suspect that no matter where the plaque goes, there will be a couple muggles going to look for it. Mind you that's at their own peril -- I seem to recall a sign at the park entrance when I went there for the GHMCMC cache that listed some of the fines for breaking the park rules, and one of them was wandering off trail.

The other major question (this is directed to everyone) is, how shall we raise funding for this plaque. I don't think any of us are ready to drop $800 down for the plaque single handedly. I believe there was a geocoin issued for the first cache in Canada plaque, perhaps we should do the same? Any other ideas?