Response To An Attack

cjacksonii

[update on this situation: The situation has been resolved, and all is now well.]

I'm relatively new to Geocaching (I've only found 11, and started about a month ago on January 2, 2006. Up until yesterday, I had only logged about 6 caches. Since the weather was so nice the past two days(today and yesterday), I decided to go out and do some serious cache hunting. (Found two yesterday, and three today.). One of the ones I looked for was Ridgepointe 02 (Waypoint GCTF0D). I noticed that nobody had found it, so I decided to take a crack at being the first to find the cache, and sure enough I was the first to find the cache. I took the prize for being FTF, and I took a travelbug from the cache (as I wanted to do a cache called "Travel Bug Depot" (Waypoint GCGHFV), which required a trade of a travel bug in order to log it as a cache. (Finding this particular cache would allow me to complete finding and logging all the three caches along that trail.)

After I got home, I logged the find and posted the entry on the cache page. A couple of hours later, I saw a note from "9key" (who probably is MUCH more experienced than I, since he has found 1601 caches), with the following message: "Took two things - left nothing. That's real nice."

This is my response to that message:

1. I was the FTF the cache, so I was allowed to take the FTF prize, and it said on the piece of paper that came with the prize "no trade required for this item".

2. Since I don't have a travel bug of my own, I couldn't replace the travel bug with another one, and I really wanted to do the Travel Bug Depot" cache and none of the other caches I was going to be doing had a travel bug in them. (Otherwise, I would have probably left it for someone else.).

Now, I feel that 9key's response was a bit harsh, especially for someone who is relatively *NEW* to geocaching. The message seems to say that I should know better to take a travelbug and not replace it with something else if I was the FTF and took the FTF prize as well. I think he could have been a bit more tactful in the message by mabey sending a private message via email saying something like "Just as a tip for the next time you go to a geocache and are the first to find it: Trade something in the place of a travelbug if you are the FTF. It makes things look better." Or something more polite and tactful.

Instead of attacking someone new, why not educate them? Teach them about what error they made so that the next time the person will be more knowledgable.

If I wasn't still determined to continue geocache hunting, this person's attack might have turned me off completly from geocache hunting.

I apologize for the rant, but I think it really needed to be addressed, and I didn't want a really long log message.

[update: The situation has been resolved and the attack was removed from the logs. I've forgiven the person who attacked me, but suggested how he could be a bit more tactful next time he does something like that towards someone new.]

cjacksonii

Edited by cjacksonii

really, nothing requires trade, but some people insist, and some see it as some kind of profound moral issue. I trade when I can. Other times if I see a cool doodad that would make a nifty TB, I grab it and do Just that with it. Make a TB.

Just wait until someone tries to tell you that you don't contribute at all because you haven't placed any caches. That is so fun.

:ph34r:

really, nothing requires trade, but some people insist, and some see it as some kind of profound moral issue. I trade when I can. Other times if I see a cool doodad that would make a nifty TB, I grab it and do Just that with it. Make a TB.

Just wait until someone tries to tell you that you don't contribute at all because you haven't placed any caches. That is so fun.

:ph34r:

Within a few weeks, I hope to be hiding a series of caches, most of which will consist of a log, and part of information leading to a bonus cache.....will be fun once I get it all planned. (I'm thinking of having the clues be trivia questions, with the answer being the name of a webpage (to get part of the coordinates.....if that's allowed, of course.)

Sadly you had to meet "the one" right off the bat...we all know about "the one"...he/she/they are "the one" cacher who you never will see eye to eye with and it is best to disagree and move on. When I found my first TB the owner of the bug e-mailed me and congradulated me on my first bug and he was happy I took it to move along even though I left nothing at the time. Since then I have returned to the cache and dropped off a TB or two along the way. Let it go, you did nothing wrong

Thanks for the comments indicating that I did nothing wrong. Even the cache owner has contacted me (after I asked him to confirm whether or not I needed to put somethng in it's place) saying that I didn't have to trade anything when I picked up the travel bug. And the attacker has removed his attack from the logs for that cache, so I'm back to my "happy that I had my first FTF" state at this point.

cjacksonii

Like everyone else said, forget about it, you did nothing wrong.

Besides, the day will come when you find a nearly empty ammo box and restock it with almost everything in your pack.

/quote]

Aint' that the truth, been there, done that plenty of times. :huh:

Edited by jamrasc

Sadly you had to meet "the one" right off the bat...we all know about "the one"...he/she/they are "the one" cacher who you never will see eye to eye with and it is best to disagree and move on. When I found my first TB the owner of the bug e-mailed me and congradulated me on my first bug and he was happy I took it to move along even though I left nothing at the time. Since then I have returned to the cache and dropped off a TB or two along the way. Let it go, you did nothing wrong

Yep I know how this goes for sure. However on the original subject as has been stated you didn't do anything wrong, just let this be water off your back and keep caching, just because you don't play their way means nothing, other than you might not see eye to eye, so what have fun and get out there and see what there is to be seen.

Cya on the trails,

Rusty

As others have noted, you did nothing wrong.

I would also wonder why "9key" knows what you did/did not take. I pretty much never note what I leave/take when caching (other then in my own log book and maybe in the cache log book). Heck, sometimes I don't trade anything. And taking a TB doesn't count as a 'trade'.

This clown was an idiot. Ignore him or her. As in all organizations there are those few that feel entitled to tell others how to enjoy their time.

Go out and enjoy the game and the outdoors without hesitation. You will fall into a cache routine that you will be comfortable with very quickly. What the few idiots think should not be a concern.

Is it common to leave equal or better? Yes

Is it a hanging offense if you forget or choose not to? No

Is it OK and common to just sign the log and not take or leave anything? Yes

Is it OK to make common-sense rules as you go? Yes

That you be safe and enjoy yourself is the only rule that I have found to be demanded by the majority of sane cachers. After being given the coordinates, those that have felt otherwise have always been told to kiss my cache. :(

That you be safe and enjoy yourself is the only rule that I have found to be demanded by the majority of sane cachers. After being given the coordinates, those that have felt otherwise have always been told to kiss my cache.

Actually, there are a few more rules than that. If you don't follow them then you might find yourself on the outside looking in. I suggest doing a bit more reading before you start saying what the rules are because it's obvious you do not.

re: CoyoteRed's input:

CoyoteRed,,,,,Thank you for the input Red, but in my opinion, what you suggest comes under common-sense as stated. And that would automatically include reading all info available.

Cache safe and enjoy! :(

Edited by dps782
First To Find prizes do not require trade.

Travel Bugs do not require trade.

You did nothing wrong.

Agreed.

I agree with the guy with the horns. You did fine. GO get some more and forget this happened.

A note for the newbie to Geocaching: You have not done anything wrong! If I find a travel bug in a cache and I don't have one to trade with......it's no sweat 'cuz TB's do not require trades period! The goal for the travel bug is to move and it doesn't move if nobody takes it.

FTF prizes are indeed prizes......they are gifts for the first person to find a cache! You do not need to trade for a gift that someone has left for you.

Good job on being FTF!

Im not really choosing sides here but i can see both sides, the one attacked, im sorry i dont remember your username was not doing anything wrong , but ive alson been in 9keys position where uve had a hard day or somem probably and just wanted to finally get a FTF and when tried 9key was beet to it or somem but 9key probably had a hard day but i dont see the need to trash 9 keylike you all are. but thats just what i think :mad:

Edited by codeman3

I know 9Key personally and he is a great person and cacher. I am not picking sides here, so don't start slaming me either. (Key had an opinon and he expressed it, last time I checked there was freedom of speach in America where he lives.

On another note, most of you don't know we are having a problem with a certain person in this area. He creates cache accounts then goes out and steals caches. He also "collects" tb's and makes it known he is proud of it. This person and his "crew" also go to cache events and take pictures of us, our cars, and our childeren. We look out for each other down here right now and make note when people pick up tb's without dropping anything back in since this is exactly what the "deathdealer" and his buddies do.

So here's my advice to everyone. Get over it and leave people alone you know nothing about. Also, research why something happened or was said before coming in here and slamming somebody or mention names.

I know 9Key personally and he is a great person and cacher. I am not picking sides here, so don't start slaming me either. (Key had an opinon and he expressed it, last time I checked there was freedom of speach in America where he lives.

On another note, most of you don't know we are having a problem with a certain person in this area. He creates cache accounts then goes out and steals caches. He also "collects" tb's and makes it known he is proud of it. This person and his "crew" also go to cache events and take pictures of us, our cars, and our childeren. We look out for each other down here right now and make note when people pick up tb's without dropping anything back in since this is exactly what the "deathdealer" and his buddies do.

So here's my advice to everyone. Get over it and leave people alone you know nothing about. Also, research why something happened or was said before coming in here and slamming somebody or mention names.

And they have been reported to Groundspeak right.....or the local law???

I remember seeing the cache page in question when it posted and thinking how ambigous it was. I was confused on what was for trades and what was not what the FTF prize was. I think 9Key's post is out of frustraion of percieved unfair trades which occur frequently in this area. I have felt the same frustration over what I have seen as poor or unfair trade practices and downright cache pirate theivery.

Everyone needs to play their own game as per their own conscience. I also remember when I first saw this thread post weeks ago and refrained from posting. So now I have posted and have this off my chest. My advice to everyone don't let people/events/perception upset you and bring you down around the DFW area or it will cut into your caching fun. Congrats on the FTF and welcome to the sport. Have fun and cache on!

re: CoyoteRed's input:

CoyoteRed,,,,,Thank you for the input Red, but in my opinion, what you suggest comes under common-sense as stated. And that would automatically include reading all info available.

Cache safe and enjoy! :D

One would think it is common sense to put the cache back where you found it if it was reasonably hidden. To not move to where you think it should be hidden.

One would think it is common sense that if you take an item with a bit more value that you not just look around for a pine cone to trade.

...I could go on all day, but I think anyone with common sense would know where I'm going. I guess in your reading you must have missed a great deal. Being safe and enjoying yourself is only the start of proper decorum in geocaching.

or the mods will send you into space and make you watch cheesey movies...the worse that they can find...la la la la...

Ok seriously, let me see if I understand the cliff notes version of this

*The OP found a cache, they were first to find, they took the travel bug and the FTF Prize.

*9Key was upset by this and sent an e-mail/posted a note, whatever it was telling the OP how they felt

*OP got a little upset and posted the situation here

*In the meantime the situation was resolved from what I can understand based on the edit in the orginal post

*Other stuff has come forth from the situation and has spawned debate and a few name callings, last time I checked 9Key's hippo or whatever it is was not looking to happy at all of us.

I guess my point is, the OP edited his post to say the situation was resolved so what is left in this topic??

And they have been reported to Groundspeak right.....or the local law???

The police say they can not help and GC has done nothing that I know of. I wish somebody would do something because down here we have taken off anything on our cars and trucks that say we are geocachers. It is also scary that the person and his crew take pictures of our cars/trucks, us, and kids while we attend events. He also leaves the pictures with nasty notes about certain people (this is how we know about the pictures).

What started as an affirmation of the OP's belief that he did nothing wrong has gone downhill due to name-calling. Please refrain from personal attacks to prevent closure of this thread. Thanks.

Agreed... :rolleyes:

As everyone has said, the OP did nothing wrong. 9Key's post was more than likely out of fustration. I do, however, think it should not have been written on the cache page logs. A personal email would have been much better. I feel both of your pains.

For you guys and the geo-stalker...I think I would try much harder to get some local law enforcement involved. If my family were in that position, I sure would!

Best of luck to all... :P

or the mods will send you into space and make you watch cheesey movies...the worse that they can find...la la la la...

Ok seriously, let me see if I understand the cliff notes version of this

*The OP found a cache, they were first to find, they took the travel bug and the FTF Prize.

*9Key was upset by this and sent an e-mail/posted a note, whatever it was telling the OP how they felt

*OP got a little upset and posted the situation here

*In the meantime the situation was resolved from what I can understand based on the edit in the orginal post

*Other stuff has come forth from the situation and has spawned debate and a few name callings, last time I checked 9Key's hippo or whatever it is was not looking to happy at all of us.

I guess my point is, the OP edited his post to say the situation was resolved so what is left in this topic??

Is this something we need to be worried about when coming down for GW4? Can you email any details about what is going on?

Thanks....