Garmin Etrex (yellow)

cap21

I'm a newbie. I'm an old bastard. My brain cells are slowly being deleted. Can someone give me VERY BASIC step by step directions on how to transfer waypoints from my pc to my etrex(yellow)? The user manual is not much help there. I have already loaded easygps onto my PC.

captain7

I used to do a search of nearby caches then tick them off and download them(25 at a time arrrrrrgh). Put them in easygps, then onto the gps. This is a painful process :huh: but since I got the premium membership and started using pocket queries ;);):ph34r: It is far easier to get WP's onto your gps.

I'm a newbie. I'm an old bastard. My brain cells are slowly being deleted. Can someone give me VERY BASIC step by step directions on how to transfer waypoints from my pc to my etrex(yellow)? The user manual is not much help there. I have already loaded easygps onto my PC.

captain7

Try this captain7: Maybe print this out.

1. Find the Geocaches on www.geocache.com that you would like to download to your Etrex . On the very right hand side of the page listing the caches is a white box. Check that box with your mouse. Do that to all of the caches that you want to download. I think there is a limit so lets just try a few to start with.

2. At the very bottom of that page tap the SAVE button and direct your save to a folder on your hard drive. Remember this folder For Step 4

3. Bring up your Easy GPS software.

4. Drag your files from the folder in Step 2 to the Easy GPS software on your white screen. You may or may not see the caches on the white screen…that’s ok, they are there.

5. Hook up your Etrex to the computer and power it on.

6. At the top of the easy GPS go to Edit, then Preference then the Add GPS button and select your Brand (Garmin) and model (Etrex) say OK

7. Now while in EasyGPS tap the Send icon on the top of the screen

8. Don’t wink-----your geocaches and coordinates have just been sent to your Etrex.

9. On your Etrex look at Waypoint and browse thru your geocaches, from there tap the GOTO field and jump in your car! You only have to do step 6 one time, next time your Etrex will show.

10. Have FUN!!!!!!

And note that the cable is serial, not USB. I spent about 30mins today ironing out driver issues with a serial to USB cable today so a teacher could connect his yellow eTrex to his USB-only laptop. Once I got that figured out, it worked great with EasyGPS and GPSBabel Beta.

Yup...on device manager it will show as Com port #4

And note that the cable is serial, not USB. I spent about 30mins today ironing out driver issues with a serial to USB cable today so a teacher could connect his yellow eTrex to his USB-only laptop. Once I got that figured out, it worked great with EasyGPS and GPSBabel Beta.

Any secrets to share? I am trying to troubleshoot issues getting EasyGPS to talk to my eTrex through USB. The USB-Serial adapter shows up as COM4, I have it connected to my eTrex cable and in turn to my eTrex. Yet I can't get EasyGPS to communicate.

Does the eTrex have to be in a particular screen/mode to receive/send data?

Any secrets to share? I am trying to troubleshoot issues getting EasyGPS to talk to my eTrex through USB. The USB-Serial adapter shows up as COM4, I have it connected to my eTrex cable and in turn to my eTrex. Yet I can't get EasyGPS to communicate.

Try the wrtitten tip sheep a few posts above. Espically #6...

6. At the top of the easy GPS go to Edit, then Preference then the Add GPS button and select your Brand (Garmin) and model (Etrex) say OK

Did that work?

Try the wrtitten tip sheep a few posts above. Espically #6...

Did that work?

Nope, doesn't work from EasyGPS or GSAK. But, everything works just fine on my Mac (so the cable and adapter are fine). Clearly a USB-to-Serial driver issue, but I'm out of patience trying to fix :anibad: