NYCRG Picnic Announcement

GPS Guy

The New York Capital Region Geocachers (NYCRG) announce their 4th annual picnic to be held on September 16 and 17, 2006 at North-South Lake State Park in Haines Falls, NY 12436.

Now that the pavilion reservation is locked in, we hope this early tease will enable you to plan on being there. We have moved south this year with hope that our fellow cachers from downstate NY, CT, NJ and everywhere else will be attracted like moths to a flame for a weekend of caching, hiking, camping and fun.

North South Lake State Campground is on the east side of the Catskill State Park with 219 camp sites. It is perched on the escarpment, 9 miles SW of Catskill, NY, with commanding views of the Hudson Valley, and the Catskill and Taconic Mountains.

Details will be posted as they become available.

Look for a sunrise hike to Artists Rock, and a sunset hike to Sunset Rock.

Join us!

Reserve America campground details

466486_300.jpg

View from Sunset Rock of North Lake, Hudson Valley to left and Kaaterskill High Peak to rear.

Edit: add photo caption.

Edited by Marc G.

Skigirl and I just booked site 111 in loop 4, arriving Fri night. We're looking forward to this. North-South lake is one of the most scenic spots in the region. Its a great spot for this event. Great hiking, fishing, swimming, mountain biking, boating, you name it. Should be a fun 2 days.

I highly recommend this to the NYC/NJ/LI geocachers. Book soon though, because this campground is very popular and fills up quickly.

Skigirl and I just booked site 111 in loop 4, arriving Fri night. We're looking forward to this. North-South lake is one of the most scenic spots in the region. Its a great spot for this event. Great hiking, fishing, swimming, mountain biking, boating, you name it. Should be a fun 2 days.

I highly recommend this to the NYC/NJ/LI geocachers. Book soon though, because this campground is very popular and fills up quickly.

If word gets out that the fearful Mr Snat is coming, then perhaps there will be more vacancies (and smart people bringing in their livestock at night)

Is this event more geared to adults or do you anticipate a fair amount of families? How have the previous years been? We have 2 girls, 7 and 9.

We had a fair number of families at last year's picnic. At this year's picnic many of the event only caches will be within .5 miles of the pavilion. Last year we also had a geocaching scavaneger hunt which was family friendly and there is always a young kids cache. Ask anybody who has been to any of the Capital Region Picnics and they will always say that we are a very friendly group of people. Bottom line, bring your family they will have a great time.

For the people who would rather not tent at the event, there are no cabins at North-South Lake. However, I googled "Motels in Tannersville, NY" and got THESE results. The closest results would be in "Haines Falls". Further away, but perhaps nicer accomodations may be in "Hunter, NY", as that is next to the ski resort.

I have not stayed at any of the motels in the area, and cannot vouch for conditions or season at any of them. Driving by in the summer, some do appear to be seasonal. I would call ahead and ask. There are other places in Haines Falls that don't show up on line, for example, the Mountain Bike Inn. Good luck.

The heavy June rains have washed out NY Rt 23A in the Kaaterskill Clove, between Palenville and Haines Falls, the main route to the picnic. It is very likely to still be closed during the picnic. Detours are in place.

From the South, take NY 28 West to NY 214 North, then NY 23A East to Haines Falls. A possible alternate for light vehicles not towing a trailer is steep Platte Clove Road (Greene Co. Rt 16) from West Saugerties.

From the North, take NY 23 West to NY 296 South to NY 23A East to Haines Falls.

There is still room for campers in loop 4.

HERE is the NYS DOT detour info and status of the road closure. There are other shortcuts that may trim the trip for you.

Peter0224 is keeping the event page updated with food, camping, and Google Earth links HERE.

We hope you will be there.

If you're coming from the south, I think going through Saugerties and taking Platt Clove Rd through Plattekill Clove is a much better detour than the DOT recommends.

Take CR 212 to Veteran, CR 35 north to Blue Mtn then CR 33 west through W. Saugerties. It becomes Platt Clove Rd. After about 5 or 6 miles you make a rt. on Clum Hill Rd and a right on 23A and you're on your way.

Edited by briansnat

As a soon to be Capital Area cacher I wanted to make it to this event, but my previously made vacation plans have me picking up my RV in Maine that weekend and not getting back to the area with it until late the following week. I'm still working on a solution to this.

There will be a geocoin for this event made in two different metals.

There will be 50 antique brass coins minted to be sold at the event only on a first come first served bases and only one coin per person. In the unlikely event all 50 do not sell during the event the balance will be destroyed. This limited edition is intended to enhance attendance at the event, not as a money maker. I'll be bringing my acetylene torches to the event if you care to witness the demise of the unsold limited edition coins.

There will be 250 antique silver coins sold in any quantity on a first come first served bases. After the event we will continue to sell antique silver coins until sold out.

Just a couple of quick things. Groundspeak donated a bunch of raffle items. For a full list of them please visit the cache page. New York Capital Region Picnic Cache Page.

GPS Guy has offered to lead some hikes. One hike is to Sunset rock to watch the sun go down. I also heard a rumor that a night cache will start at Sunset rock. If you are interested, please e-mail GPS Guy or Peter0224.

For the people who would rather not tent at the event, there are no cabins at North-South Lake. However, I googled "Motels in Tannersville, NY" and got THESE results. The closest results would be in "Haines Falls". Further away, but perhaps nicer accomodations may be in "Hunter, NY", as that is next to the ski resort.

I have not stayed at any of the motels in the area, and cannot vouch for conditions or season at any of them. Driving by in the summer, some do appear to be seasonal. I would call ahead and ask. There are other places in Haines Falls that don't show up on line, for example, the Mountain Bike Inn. Good luck.

I would reccommend being hesitant on staying at any of these listed motels or hotels from the google search. Most of them aren't even the near the camp site and some require you to drive down the mountain road that has recently been washed away. I am a local and recently into the whole geocaching thing. I would reccommend staying at the Kaatskill Mountain Club or Liftside Condos if you want a nice place to stay and its just a short 8 - 10 minute drive away. Its great for couples or families because of all of the great amenities. The website is www.kaatskillmtnclub.com. Another bonus of staying there is they just launched a Geo Caching program right on Hunter Mountain and they are looking for any avid Geo Cacher to come and try it out and give some feedback. It is well worth it to at least check it out while you are in the area!!

I would reccommend being hesitant on staying at any of these listed motels or hotels from the google search. Most of them aren't even the near the camp site and some require you to drive down the mountain road that has recently been washed away. I am a local and recently into the whole geocaching thing. I would reccommend staying at the Kaatskill Mountain Club or Liftside Condos if you want a nice place to stay and its just a short 8 - 10 minute drive away. Its great for couples or families because of all of the great amenities. The website is www.kaatskillmtnclub.com. Another bonus of staying there is they just launched a Geo Caching program right on Hunter Mountain and they are looking for any avid Geo Cacher to come and try it out and give some feedback. It is well worth it to at least check it out while you are in the area!!

Certainly the first page of Google results in my earlier post are way closer to the campground than Hunter Mountain. Anything in or west of Haines Falls is not affected by the road closure, as that is the detour route. The road is closed immediately East of Haines Falls. Anything North, East, or South of Haines Falls will be further than Hunter.

Compared to Hunter, these would be discount, low amenities motels, from my casual observations.

Whether or not they will still be in business by the time the picnic rolls around is another matter. :ph34r:

Loop four is close to full. If you want to camp around a bunch of other cachers I suggest you make your reservation soon. The other loops are also starting to get full. Just a few more weeks.

As of 9pm EST tonight, there are 49 sites left in the entire 219 site campground.

Loop 1=2

Loop 2=7

loop 3=closed for construction

Our loop 4=4

Loop 5=4

Loop 6=6 a few of us are here

Loop 7=26

If you book a site, please let us know how many are coming with you.