Trackable South Carolina Geocoin

Deliveryguy428

This is NOT a pre-order thread

With releases of coins coming out for different states DiskDevil and I are going to go ahead and announce the pending release of the South Carolina TRACKABLE Geocoins through geocaching.com The coin has backing of current SCGA members.

The art work will be forth coming because it is currently being previewed and discussed among groups from all over the state

Ordering information will be discussed as things move along

The present coin was conceived many months ago. At the time, Sissy and I were SCGA Steering Committee members. The SCGA is organized on a model of loose memberships and a small band of members which drives the group, thus the reason it is called the "Steering Committee." Much of a business is handled behind closed doors as most folks don't want to mess with that. However, that being said, there was input from both the community and conversations amongst the committee members on the design of the coin. (Believe me, if it had been solely my design it would have been different.)

Yes, this is an "official SCGA geocoin." Make no mistake.

Also, simply look at the design and you can see it is a South Carolina coin.

No other coin, unless created by the SC legislature, could be considered any more "official" than this. Don't think anyone is getting short changed.

The present design was intentionally and specifically created with the idea that it could be used again. There is no year or series marking to "date" the coin. This was done specifically to save on dies charges in the future allowing for a cheaper coin while keeping the same high quality.

As for my comment above, this is the first time I'm hearing about the offering of another coin. The present coin is just now completing it's distribution. There are still 10 fine silver and 183 nickle silver coins not spoken for. Yet, we are moving ahead with a different coin.

And I have to hear about this in the forums.

South Carolina would not be the first state with both an association coin and a state trackable coin. While one coin was chosen not to give tracking numbers via geocaching.com this coin we are doing will be done the full 500 lot trackable w/icon through the website.

I think 500 is probably a little low for a state coin considering how many other states put out when they do their own.

South Carolina would not be the first state with both an association coin and a state trackable coin. While one coin was chosen not to give tracking numbers via geocaching.com this coin we are doing will be done the full 500 lot trackable w/icon through the website.

I think 500 is probably a little low for a state coin considering how many other states put out when they do their own.

In talking with someone who has done quite a bit of coins they suggested 500 cause it would allow the people in the state first crack at them before anything else. The purpose of this coin is a trackable coin for the people of SC to enjoy and share not buy a bunch and put them up on ebay.

The present coin was conceived many months ago. At the time, Sissy and I were SCGA Steering Committee members. The SCGA is organized on a model of loose memberships and a small band of members which drives the group, thus the reason it is called the "Steering Committee." Much of a business is handled behind closed doors as most folks don't want to mess with that. However, that being said, there was input from both the community and conversations amongst the committee members on the design of the coin. (Believe me, if it had been solely my design it would have been different.)

Yes, this is an "official SCGA geocoin." Make no mistake.

Also, simply look at the design and you can see it is a South Carolina coin.

No other coin, unless created by the SC legislature, could be considered any more "official" than this. Don't think anyone is getting short changed.

The present design was intentionally and specifically created with the idea that it could be used again. There is no year or series marking to "date" the coin. This was done specifically to save on dies charges in the future allowing for a cheaper coin while keeping the same high quality.

As for my comment above, this is the first time I'm hearing about the offering of another coin. The present coin is just now completing it's distribution. There are still 10 fine silver and 183 nickle silver coins not spoken for. Yet, we are moving ahead with a different coin.

And I have to hear about this in the forums.

First...I think that the coin you produced is very nice and done professionally, I have one myself. Your coin was not discussed fully with THE GROUP nor was it designed by THE GROUP. This coin was yours start to finish(Your personal watermark in the coin). You may have had the "go ahead" from the local caching community, I am not sure.We have contacted all current SCGA committee members and have had nothing but positive response. We welcome all cachers from South Carolina to review the designs at any time,and provide feedback. Your coin's drawback was that it was not trackable nor intended to be, and at eight dollars it should have been.The funny thing is...all you had to do was ask. At the time that you resigned your position on the committee the coin was vaporware. You had to have made enough money off the coin to have tracking,but you chose not to. I don't know your reasons. You have a business,we do not. Most of the people that bought your coins were under the impression that they were trackable, and were somewhat disappointed to see that not to be the case,including myself. I am sorry you feel like we have stepped on your toes,but mistakes were made before the coin went into production. That is something we are going to try and avoid. The problem with South Carolina is nobody communicates with one another, and you even mentioned loose memberships,and seperate groups. We want communication...we want input from all South Carolina cachers. Your coin was done much in the cover of darkness, and for that I feel blindsided. I hope that you can see the need for this coin alongside of yours,and I hope that you will purchase some of ours. Your coin,even though it has had it's fair share of problems will be a treasured part of my collection. I hope you and others will feel the same and support our efforts as well.

I also agree that 500 is way too few South Carolina trackable coins. You guys should be considering at least 800-1000. That's a typical run for a non-association state or country coin, and it have no trouble at all of selling out.

As far as those that produced the SCGA coin, if other residents of South Carolina (or any other state for that matter) want to design a trackable coin version, who are you to say they can't? They way I see it, you produced a coin based on your desires. Now allow others the same opportunity.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Let me start by saying that I don't live in SC. I live in GA, but I was born at the airbase in Myrtle Beach (back when it was actually an airbase and not a jetport). I bought one of the coins from Sissy-n-CR. I have no problem with it not being trackable. While an icon is nice, it really does not matter to me. The coin has another meaning for me. I will also buy the next coin for SC to come out.

Well, I had a point-by-point post refuting many of your statements--which you were way off on, BTW--but then a thought occured.

I wonder if your coin would be in the works if the SCGA coin was trackable and had its own icon.

Is this what it's coming to?

It would be in the works either way! I really don't understand your hangups with this project. I really don't give a @#$ about the money. I f I loose my butt it don't matter. Can you say the same? If you really want to debate this issue...feel free to post. I am not in this for the money...and for your above comment. You must be feeling guilty that you did not do it first! I have admitted that I like your coin, and give you credit for its design. So why do you continue to bash our efforts. We want South Carolina cachers to be part of this coin's design. You never offered the community that choice with yours. If you want opinions just ask...I really don't think I have to defend myself. So feel free... I will be your target!

I saw the first draft design last night at the Midland Geoholics Meetup in Columbia. I think it's great! I've only been to 2 meetings so far but they are very well run and they seem to have several of the SCGA members there. Seems to me if it's backed by the community there shouldn't be an issue. I've seen several other state with several coins, if it's ok for them, why not us? The more SC coins the better! Keep up the good work guys!

.. who are you to say they can't?

I never said they couldn't. In fact, I have nothing to say about whether there is to be another SCGA coin. It's not my descision. Remember, this new coin is supposed to be the second SCGA coin, not just some other SC coin.

I take huge exception to the allusion that the first coin was not "official" or that somehow theirs is more "official." I take exception that the first coin was all my doing. Just read above to see how the OP has already caused confusion.

Let's make something very, very clear. If I wanted to go off on my own and create a coin, it wound't have been under the SCGA "label." To make such an allegation targets directly my integrity. I can not convey strongly enough how much I take exception to this.

I really don't understand your hangups with this project.

The "hang up" is the OP.

It's going to be trackable but what if THE GROUP doesn't feel it should be? Sounds like you're not taking input after all.

The art work will be forth coming because it is currently being previewed and discussed among groups from all over the state
What "groups from all over the states?" I guess there could have been some secret meetings that I've not been invited to, but then wouldn't that go against THE GROUP?

I guess SCGA meeting are going to be pretty darn interesting from now on.

BTW, now that all of the present orders have been filled, the sale of the first SCGA is again open.

.. who are you to say they can't?

I never said they couldn't. In fact, I have nothing to say about whether there is to be another SCGA coin. It's not my descision. Remember, this new coin is supposed to be the second SCGA coin, not just some other SC coin.

I take huge exception to the allusion that the first coin was not "official" or that somehow theirs is more "official." I take exception that the first coin was all my doing. Just read above to see how the OP has already caused confusion.

Let's make something very, very clear. If I wanted to go off on my own and create a coin, it wound't have been under the SCGA "label." To make such an allegation targets directly my integrity. I can not convey strongly enough how much I take exception to this.

This is NOT...NOT...NOT a SCGA coin!! Get your facts straight! I did not say that your coin was not "official" nor did I insult your integrity! Your coin IS the "official" SCGA coin, and I respect that! I am proud to have one. I don't understand your resentment to our project. Are you not part of South Carolina? Why are you not supporting us, we supported you? Matter of fact alot of people supported you. CR you have done numerous things for the caching community, and I respect what you have done! What I don't understand is why these coins can't co-exist? What is your problem with this?

Nevermind....I am quite tired of providing forum entertainment. If the public wants to speak so be it......I am also tired of all this crap and trying to please everybody. We try and do something good for the caching community of SC and we get this crap? All this combined with H3777 makes me want to commit GEO-CIDE. Screw this......I don't need the headaches............ :huh:

Before my hubby and others let this get out-of-hand... (not that HE would ever do such a thing :huh: )

Please know that we sincerely wish you guys the best with this new endeavor. The SCGA Geocoin that we are finishing up with is the second endeavor with coins that I have been handling the shipping for. (The first was with Quintus van der Merwe's South African Geocoin, acting as his US distributor. It made more sense for the US company to ship them to someone in the states for distribution than to ship them to SA $$$ and then back to customers in the US $$$.) I know first hand exactly what you guys are in for :( .

The misunderstanding comes from the intimation that this coin was not an open effort. At the last SCGA meeting we attended, and to my knowledge, the last one that was held, we told everyone that the place to discuss the design was on the SCGA forums and gave the web address. I know we talked alot about that other disagreeable issue that was and still is troubling our state's geocaching hobby, so this info may have gotten lost. We accepted all input given through that forum. (Which is why the coin does not have the latin translation of "We do not piss on our graves" on it. :( )

At the time this coin was conceived, none of the steering committee members seemed to care one way or another whether they were trackable or not. The trackability issue came up after the coin was finalized, and agree or disagree, the decision stands. No one was forced to buy the coin. Anyone who bought one and is now regretful of it, you can put it on eBay. I understand some have gotten a 300% roi.

And now for the good stuff...

If you liked how yours was packaged, I can provide you with some of that great foil bubble wrap material. Better yet, I'll tell you how to get your own supply. Go to the produce manager at the nearest Piggly Wiggly, and ask him to save the packaging that the fresh herbs come in for you. Of course, he may remember to do it for you if you actually shop there :( .

Good luck, and I can't wait to see the new design!

Sissy

THE GROUPS-- As of late small local chapters are forming and so far the three groups that are formed have current SCGA steering committee members in these groups. Your invite to these groups are simple, they are called event caches. There has not been much "secret meeting" with anyone for the purpose of creating this coin.

The art work has been discussed at two recent EVENT CACHES, nothing secret there, just a postable event

As for THE GROUP which I assume you mean the SCGA??

**I posted this prior to reading Sissy's post and thank you Sissy for your post of calmness and logic, this topic went out of hand and it was never ment to be that**

Edited by geoholic28
This is NOT...NOT...NOT a SCGA coin!! Get your facts straight!

Perhaps this is where the failure to communicate lay.

I humbly apologize for the misunderstanding. I got the distinct impression this was an SCGA coin created with the blessings of the SCGA Steering Commitee members.

My bad. Sorry.

Let me buy you a beer at the next SCGA meeting (or afterwards.)

EDIT TO ADD: No, Sissy ain't making me say that, either.

Edited by CoyoteRed

This coin will be created for all to enjoy. If anyone from South Carolina wants previews feel free to email me or Geoholic28. The general public won't see the design until it is finalized. Sorry... :huh: We really are trying to respect the wishes of all.

You could post it to the SCGA website, in the forums. Then the members will have both an oportunity to see the design and provide feedback before it is finalized.

Ok first off for those who are not in South Carolina I am deeply sorry for what took place in this thread and hopefully all misunderstandings have been put to rest and we can move on.

As for the art work, once some heads clear and bright lights and loud sounds are no longer a problem the art work issue I feel will be re-discussed in terms of how do we want to show it. The people we used to come up with the rough drafts told us they are willing to try anything in terms of design just let them know. I've actually thought about posting it to the SCGA but I worry with such little activtiy it seems to be getting in the forums would people see it?

A lot is going on with a few different situations, please just give us a day or so to clear our heads, refocus and regroup.

Halfway through reading this thread I was ready to post a warning to take this offline to your own forums, but I'm glad that you were able to quickly and respectfully work this out.

There are a lot of debates going on currently between "people" putting out "official" coins and groups putting out "official" coins. I see no problem with groups or organizations coming out and stating thier support, or lack of, for a particular coin as long as things stay respectful.

Thank you to RK for the last post to get back OT.

I will now retreat in search of some Prego and return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

I had the same reaction FSM, it was nice to see it work out, hands shaken, beverages offered, and all is good. I think we should all just leave the word "Official" out of any coin, and get on with the fun. If we check out the definition we get this:

Main Entry: 1of·fi·cial

Pronunciation: &-'fi-sh&l also O-

Function: noun1 : one who holds or is invested with an office : OFFICER <government officials> (the gov't is not involved here)

2 : one who administers the rules of a game or sport especially as a referee or umpire (in this case geocaching.com sets guidelines but is not the Official Coin Maker, if that were so then the Signal coins would be the only "official" coins, I guess)

Main Entry: 2official

Function: adjective

1 : of or relating to an office , position, or trust <official duties>

2 : holding an office

3 a : AUTHORITATIVE, AUTHORIZED <official statement> b : prescribed or recognized as authorized <an official language> c : described by the U.S. Pharmacopeia or the National Formulary

4 : befitting or characteristic of a person in office <extended an official greeting>

- of·fi·cial·ly /-'fi-sh(&-)lE/ adverb

Not so sure that fits in anywhere either, unless the state groups have officers. I just feel this whole "Official" question takes the fun out of the game.

Halfway through reading this thread I was ready to post a warning to take this offline to your own forums, but I'm glad that you were able to quickly and respectfully work this out.

There are a lot of debates going on currently between "people" putting out "official" coins and groups putting out "official" coins. I see no problem with groups or organizations coming out and stating thier support, or lack of, for a particular coin as long as things stay respectful.

Thank you to RK for the last post to get back OT.

I will now retreat in search of some Prego and return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

I agree with Eartha here... lets take Official out of the coins. About the only place I see where it should be used is when an organization puts out a coin itself (not just a member, but the org does it directly) and then it only an official coin of that organization. Such as the WGA coin (Wisconsin Geocachers Association) being the official WGA coin, it isn't really the "Official" Wisconsin geocoin, there isn't such a thing, except maybe the state quarter being left as swag :laughing:

Of course individuals are allowed to do their own official personal coin :D

Maybe the wrong place for this, but I still waiting on 2 South Carolina geocoins that I have paid for (seams like ages ago). Can anyone shead any light on this? Tried to find another thread for answers and could not find. Thank you very much.

Try here...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=2042329

yeah, I paid Dec 1, kids are grown, off to college, planning my retirement, zzzzzzzzzz :laughing: