Did I Make A Mistake?

I recently sold off my 60cs and bought up a 60csx with the money. Was that a mistake? I have read some of the 60CSX htread and now i have buyers remorse... Now i am out of my old GPS and now have a new one that seems to have a butt load of problems. or so it seems... All i will be using it for is geocaching... I have GSAK on my computer and i hear that it doesnt like each other. is there another program that does? Also, i have Metroguide from my older GPS units. Is it okay to use it on the 60csx? Again, all i am using it for is Geocaching. Should i stick with it or sell a kidney and buy CityNavigator? Please help. Have i made a big (costly?) mistake?

I haven't seen any issues brought up about the 60c/csx models that would be at all significant compared to the advantage of expandable map memory, better sensitivity receiver, and virtually unlimited custom POI capability. So, no, I don't think you've made a mistake unless you really can't stand to lose the alarm clock or other peripheral features. The communication issue with GSAK/GPSBabel/etc. is unfortunate but not unlike similar issues whenever Garmin comes out with significantly different models. It would be nice if Garmin would try harder to maintain consistency in their protocols, but I expect that Clyde, Robert, and the other software developers will come up with fixes for the latest Garmin changes.

If you have MetroGuide-USA v4.01 or 4.02 then it'll work fine for with the 60csx, including auto-routing, but of course it's getting rather dated. Other versions won't autoroute but could still be used in the interim. I'd be inclined to wait until a new version of CityNavigator-NA comes out before switching.

Edited by peter

I haven't seen any issues brought up about the 60c/csx models that would be at all significant compared to the advantage of expandable map memory, better sensitivity receiver, and virtually unlimited custom POI capability. So, no, I don't think you've made a mistake unless you really can't stand to lose the alarm clock or other peripheral features. The communication issue with GSAK/GPSBabel/etc. is unfortunate but not unlike similar issues whenever Garmin comes out with significantly different models. It would be nice if Garmin would try harder to maintain consistency in their protocols, but I expect that Clyde, Robert, and the other software developers will come up with fixes for the latest Garmin changes.

If you have MetroGuide-USA v4.01 or 4.02 then it'll work fine for with the 60csx, including auto-routing, but of course it's getting rather dated. Other versions won't autoroute but could still be used in the interim. I'd be inclined to wait until a new version of CityNavigator-NA comes out before switching.

i have metroguide 6.7 on pc and 4.2 disc. you think if i remove the 6.7 and install 4.2 i will have autu routing on my 60cx? will unlock codes come into play? also is there a way to tell what is on the micro sd card in the 60cx?

If you have MetroGuide-USA v4.01 or 4.02 then it'll work fine for with the 60csx, including auto-routing, but of course it's getting rather dated.

i have metroguide 6.7 on pc and 4.2 disc. you think if i remove the 6.7 and install 4.2 i will have autu routing on my 60cx? will unlock codes come into play? also is there a way to tell what is on the micro sd card in the 60cx?

No need to remove anything. If the version of MetroGuide-USA that you bought is really 4.02 (I don't think there ever was a '4.2'), then yes, you should be able to use it for auto-routing on your 60cx.

Check that the 'Data Version' of your MetroGuide is 3.00 (under the Help menu click on About MapSource and then Product Info). If it is then be sure the box is checked to include routing data when you download maps to your 60cx and that should allow the unit to do auto-routing.

In reality a lot of the problems or issues brought up with the "x" units are not that big of a deal, they are things that some might find very important but most probably don't. The reception improvement of the "x" series is probably worth all of the issues and a few more. After all if the gps can't get a signal to tell you where you are, all the features in the world are useless.

I think it's important users bring up these issues though, both by emailing garmin and on the forums, because someone who is looking at upgrading or a new gps might find one of those issues very important, even if many users don't. Also if garmin does not have feedback on those issues and what people want, they can't fix or add features with the firmware updates.

I would not be worried that you made a mistake, all you have to do is turn on your new gps in some interior room of your home where your old gps could never get a lock and watch the new one lock in to justify the new purchase. Are there issues and things garmin can improve on, certainly.....should some of them been addressed before the item hit the market....probably, but with firmware now it's easier for companies to make changes after they put a product out.

I recently sold off my 60cs and bought up a 60csx with the money. Was that a mistake?

Yes, to soon we get old, to late we get smart. But all is not lost, it just looks like you will have to wait until the rest of the geocaching tools get up to speed, I am sure it will be worth the wait. GSAK is working on the problem as is Garmin.

Just go out and enjoy your new gps. It will get you a lock so much better than your previous unit that you will hardly believe it. If people laboured the good things about any product as much as they do the bad things, the internet would not be able to contain the volume of discussion.

Regards,

John.

have read some of the 60CSX htread and now i have buyers remorse... Now i am out of my old GPS and now have a new one that seems to have a butt load of problems. or so it seems

I've read that thread and haven't noticed a butt load of problems. I'd say the biggest one is that the unit "wanders" when standing still.

I'm sure Garmin will address that in a future firmware update along with the other minor bugs reported. No unit comes to the market without some issues. There were complaints about the 60C(S) series in the beginning. Addressing these issues promptly is where Garmin is head and shoulders over Magellan.

Other than that, things like ugly icons and no alarm clock are non issues to me and those seem to be the most frequent complaint. Well that and its compatiblilty with some 3rd party software. I'm sure the developers of those apps are working to fix that.

If you have MetroGuide-USA v4.01 or 4.02 then it'll work fine for with the 60csx, including auto-routing, but of course it's getting rather dated.

No need to remove anything. If the version of MetroGuide-USA that you bought is really 4.02 (I don't think there ever was a '4.2'), then yes, you should be able to use it for auto-routing on your 60cx.

Check that the 'Data Version' of your MetroGuide is 3.00 (under the Help menu click on About MapSource and then Product Info). If it is then be sure the box is checked to include routing data when you download maps to your 60cx and that should allow the unit to do auto-routing.

thanks peter!!! metro guide downloaded just fine and everything works great including auto routing..no need for cs or cn now that i can see. :laughing::laughing: