Visiting DC Area

Big-AlH

I'll be traveling to Arlington, VA for a week long training course in just over a week. I'm coming in from California and will be taking a red-eye Saturday night so I'll have Sunday to cache about. I'm flying into Dulles early Sunday morning (2/26). I have no idea if I'll have time (or weather/darkness permits) during the week to cache so will try to do as much as I can on Sunday.

If anyone has any suggestions to make my caching time productive, fun and safe I'm open for suggestions. I saw the note about ticks (not much of a problem near me) so I'll plan appropriate clothing and spray ("Off" I assume?).

I'm planning on bringing a TB or two with me and would be happy to take some back (to Sacramento, CA area) if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance!

-al

There are lots of caches, mostly virtuals, located around the mall in DC. You can get there fairly easy by useing Metro. It's a great way to see DC and get a lot of caching in. Enjoy your visit.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not too into virtuals... I will have a car and will be driving from Dulles to my hotel (right next to Ronald Reagan airport). I see a lot of caches along the way, but I don't want to spend 3/4 of my day in thick bush for a single cache. :D Would like a balance of good number of caches but also something interesting.

Of course with the car I can drive anywhere so if there's a better spot with a lot of cool caches I'm open to that.

-al

There are some nice caches in Scotts Run Preserve which isn't far from Arlington. My wife did a few and really liked the area. Fairfax County Watch Exchange, Scotts Run Reviesed, Scotts Run Mystery and Not So Mellow Yellow are the caches there.

I've been working in the area for 8 months and have yet to hit any of these, but my wife keeps telling me I should. She thought Scotts Run was very scenic with nice views of the Potomac. It might be a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon of caching.

If you can get away in the evening during the week, let me know. I'd be happy to hook up with you and find a few caches. I've done very little caching in the area and would like nothing better than to get out and find a few. Or perhaps we can just meet for a couple of beers. I'm in Tysons Corner, about 10 miles from Arlington. I'm only there Mon-Friday though, as I go back home on weekends.

Edited by briansnat

I agree that the caches in Scott’s Run Preserve are worth doing. The preserve has nice trails and it is possible to do them all in a couple of hours and enjoy some good views of the Potomac.

If you want to stretch your legs when you get off the plane, Ellanor C. Lawrence park is very close to Dulles Airport, about a 10 minute drive (As you exit the airport take Route 28 South a.k.a. Sully Road; then turn left onto Wallney Road and the parking lot for the park will be on your left - - not the first one at the pond, but the one with a house). The park - - which is really more of a small forest preserve with historic sites also on the property and covers propert on both sides of Wallney Road - - has nicely marked trails and multiple caches, with my personal favorites being

Friday Morning Staff Meeting because of the difficulty I had with it - - keep in mind that when you find the letter box, you know you are close) and Camo. The The Shire is also within the park, but there are no trails to this cache - - though the bushwhacking needed is not too bad (I did it in street clothes after a client meeting).

Happy Hunting,

Brian

Edited by Baxter-MD

I will echo the burke lake park. It is about a five mile?? hike around the lake with about a dozen caches located within short distance of the trail. Eleanor C. Lawernce might be nice as well. Not sure how many caches are left in that one but I do know that there are a couple of new ones in that park. There are some areas with drive byes if that is what you are looking for as well. Variety is the spice of life here.