Pure Heart

I have an idea for a cache that I will call Pure Heart. I will get one of those famous heart-shaped altoids tins, but paint it white. Inside in the cache (in the log book or taped to the inside of the lid) I will put the following bible verse: "Blessed are those that are pure in heart, for they will see God." ~ Matthew 5:8

Too Religious? Opinions Please!

Although it doesn't bother me I think it would violate the part of the guidelines that states.

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

I see no problem with this. Now, if you were to stock the cache with religious fliers and stuff, maybe then you fall under the agenda rule, but a simple quote, I persoanlly have no problem. Your reviewer will probably be able to give you the final word though.

But of course, there's always some twit that will whine about it (see Boy Scout TB reference as an example). As long as you don't mind the occassional complaint, go for it! :P

Edited by wandererrob

I have an idea for a cache that I will call Pure Heart. I will get one of those famous heart-shaped altoids tins, but paint it white. Inside in the cache (in the log book or taped to the inside of the lid) I will put the following bible verse: "Blessed are those that are pure in heart, for they will see God." ~ Matthew 5:8

Your cache reeks of agenda. This game isn't the place for it.

Personally, I like the message, but if it's allowed they also need to allow "Arms for Allah", "Hatred for Hitler", and any other type of non-Christian messages, just to be fair.

Back in the woods with Ranger Rick ....shhh let’s listen in…

“Hey Ranger, what’d’ya doin’ in the lake with my minnow bucket?”

“Ah, ahem, ah, well, I was just adjusting it so them little shiners could get more fresh water. It’ll keep ‘em alive longer, ya know.”

“Well, maybe so, but I wish you wudn’t mess around with my personal property. Fer a moment I thought yer wuz stealin’ it. By the way, ya haven’t seen an ammo can around here have ya? I cud a swore I placed it nearby. My son’s a preacher man and geocacher, ya know. Asked me to hide it fer himself while I was out bassin’. Strange hobby he has, ya know. Takes these little bibles, sticks em in an ammo box and hides it in them woods. Then people come alookin’ fer it. Strange way to find God if you ask me. Why not just go to church or sumthin'? By the way, nuthin wrong with hiding bible-filled ammo boxes is there?”

“Ohh no. Ah, Of course not. Go right ahead. I think that falls under Freedom of Religion and protected speech. I’d be the last guy to go against our constitution. ”

Sorry you missed the intended humor, satire and irony in my post :D I wuz intending to highlight all the usual complaints about our hobby - bibles in ammo boxes, cache containers in the woods being personal property like minnow boxes and not abandoned property, etc.

Edited by Alan2

Too Religious? Maybe Yes, maybe No. It depends on the personal belief of the person reading that phrase. I can't honestly say how it will be perceived by the next person who reads it. I find it to be overly preachy, but that is just me.

My opinion is that this is geocaching and should be about the hunt and the location. Everything has a proper time & place, the inside of a cache container is not the proper place for religion.

p.s. What they said about Altoids containers! They are not waterproof, and they get very hard to open after they've started rusting.

I would have no problem with your cache as you have discribed it. If others do, you could leave out the words of the text and just write Matthew 5:8 inside your cache. That way it is thier decision to look it up or not look it up.

The altoids can could be placed inside another container to keep it dry.

~Shaggy~

Edit: Punctuation.

Edited by Shaggy of Mysteries Inc

Not to belittle anyone's religious beliefs of course, but from a nonreligious angle, it's just a quote from a book. Not unlike any other quote to me.

:D

Agreed. I don't see it as an issue. As a devout agnostic, it doesn't bother me a bit. As far as an agenda, it's not nearly as blatant as some caches that have been published.

Edited by briansnat

Not to belittle anyone's religious beliefs of course, but from a nonreligious angle, it's just a quote from a book. Not unlike any other quote to me.

:D

Agreed. I don't see it as an issue. As a devout agnostic, it doesn't bother me a bit. As far as an agenda, it's not nearly as blatant as some caches that have been published.

THANK YOU! Ya beat me to it and I couldn't have said it better. It's a quote! Nothing MORE. I'm Agnostic too and nothing about that cache bothered me.

It shames me to see the religious phobia that some folks display while calling themselves Agnostic.

Someone outline the agenda to me because I don't see it. :D

I don't have a problem with it really, but quotes from the Torah, Quran and various other religious writtings should be equally allowed.

It should not be restricted to one religion. So I figure best leave it out you never know who you might offend.

I do agree with wandererrob (not to belittle anyone and from a purely nonreligious pov) it is just a quote from a book. This would be what some people think but there is no accounting for everyone.

Well now, seeing as this is a container and this is how it's decorated (ahnd the key concern is that it doesn't look like a bomb) I'm not entirly sure there is a guideline for it beyond that it's acceptable for a person to have a view on life.

They could use it in their sig card. They could have it made into a coin. It represents them, they are who they are. If they do that quote instead of little hearts for the dots on their "I"s there is no harm.

I think you folks forget that all quotes used say something about the person or thier beliefs. Why is it okay to quote some secular person who is expounding on thier beliefs but if some one quotes the bible we all freak. Take a look at some of the signatures, and tell me that some one isn't presenting thier beliefs. Given a chance someone will find offense with something. You can find these same sentiments in the Koran or in the budist beliefs.

If you hide it, people will find it. Like someone pointed out. If a boyscout TB offended people, and it did, anything can/will offend someone. They day people stop being offended this will be a very boring planet.

I think Corp of Discovery had it right. As long as I don't have to join your church or something like that to log it, I'm cool with it.

Too religious.

Those of us that have chosen to be free from religion really get aggravated when others try to shove religion down our throats. I'm afraid someone a little more activist than I would trash a cache like that. I would settle for a nasty note in the logbook.

Exactly how is this quote on the lid of an otherwise ordinary geocache going to "shove" anything down your throat??

Any more than leaving a penny in a cache with the quote "in god we trust"?

Any more than the several sig lines in this very thread?

Would the quote offend you as much if it was attributted to Budda? or Mark Twain? Are they trying to "shove" thier ideals on you too?

Go for it, Brother!

For the true Agnostic, a Bible quote is no different than a Shakespere quote. If you let those folks with religious phobias control your life, you've lost before you ever started. Just on a side note, I'm curious, let's say I printed a Bible quote in one of my caches. It's a group of words expressing a sentiment, which the individual cacher is free to read or ignore, at their whim. How exactly is that "shoving religion down someone's throat"? Why would somebody be so thin skinned to get aggravated over something written on a piece of paper? Are there really activists who would destroy something that somebody else made simply because they disagreed with a few words written on a piece of paper? I can't believe anybody is so intolerant that this behavior would be acceptable to them. As for those who leave nasty notes in your log, there ain't nothin' you can do about it. You'll find that tolerance is pretty one sided these days, so it's up to you to be the grown up and ignore childish stunts like this.

BTW, I'm not Agnostic, but I respect the beliefs of those who are.

"An it harm none, do as thy wilst"

Go for it, Brother!

For the true Agnostic, a Bible quote is no different than a Shakespere quote. If you let those folks with religious phobias control your life, you've lost before you ever started. Just on a side note, I'm curious, let's say I printed a Bible quote in one of my caches. It's a group of words expressing a sentiment, which the individual cacher is free to read or ignore, at their whim. How exactly is that "shoving religion down someone's throat"? Why would somebody be so thin skinned to get aggravated over something written on a piece of paper? Are there really activists who would destroy something that somebody else made simply because they disagreed with a few words written on a piece of paper? I can't believe anybody is so intolerant that this behavior would be acceptable to them. As for those who leave nasty notes in your log, there ain't nothin' you can do about it. You'll find that tolerance is pretty one sided these days, so it's up to you to be the grown up and ignore childish stunts like this.

BTW, I'm not Agnostic, but I respect the beliefs of those who are.

"An it harm none, do as thy wilst"

I lost count, were there more opinions against using the Altoid can? Or were there more against using the Bible Verse? I say it's your Cache hide it in whatever you want, your the one that has to maintain it,and use the verse if it's to your liking. You can't please all the people all the time.

Edited by onionpond

I say go for it! Make it clear in oyur description what it is. If anyone does not want to be offended by the scriptures then they should not go looking for this cache. As others have said if someone is going to get offended by a Boy Scout Cache (which I do not support them) then they will get offended by anything. But in all honesty I seek the caches for the numbers. So if I came across a Boy Scout cache i would sign it and leave and not worry about the quotes. So if you make it clear in your description what the cache is about then other cachers will have the same choice. So in short place your cache....it is up to you what you put in it....as another cacher said it is a little thing called freedom of religion and speech.

Good Luck with it

I work in youth custody center as a Youth Supervisor(politically correct term for youth jail guard). In the pastors office is a chart showing the golden rule. Which i dont think alot of people would take issue with. It was interpreted using about a dozen different quotes from different religions. Would anybody have a problem if the person put the Quote "treat others they way you would want to be treated". yet this same sentiment can be found in almost every religion in the world.

Its your cache and if we can't respect each other enough to be courtious to each other and respectful then its not the quote thats the issue but basic human dignaty. I don't have to agree with you or even like you but i do have to respect you and your property. If its a great cache i will tell you. If it aint a great cache i will sign the log and leave.