Wm 5.0 Gps Software -- What Do You Use?

Grimlock

I use Mapopolis to navigate me (driving) from cache to cache -- it works great. However, once you arrive on site to the particular location, what software do you use? I realize Mapopolis has a mode somewhat built for this, but i find it lacking in features.

I used to use Beeline GPS on my old PocketPC 2003 pda but I was curious what you all used out in the field. Granted, i mainly use my Magellan Sportrak to geocache, but sometimes, when i forget it at home, i'll use my pda/gps combo to cache.

I'm running WM 5.0.

I think a topo map downloaded to a handheld GPS is simply wonderful.

Really gives you a feel for the terrain.

I have Magellan Topo 3D on an Explorist - but Garmin is similar.

Advantage to Magellan is that Topo 3d includes detailed roads, POIs, and trails also.

Robert

It's highly doubtful that you're going to find software written specifically for WM5 that doesn't require one of the enhancements that it brings to the table. Sure, that version adds an API specifically for GPS, but it's not required that a developer use it if they know how to parse NMEA sentences. The only thing that the GPS API really adds, in fact, is the ability to share a single GPS receiver between applications, but programs like GpsGate do that anyway.

Nothing specific ... just wanting a recommendation on software that people use once they arrive on site with WM 5.0. I've only used Beeline GPS and I was wanting to know what other people used ... but i guess there aren't many that use a pda/gps combo to geocache with.

I mainly don't use this combination either, but sometimes i forget my real GPS and i'm forced to use this combination.

I think you're missing a qualification here:

... but i guess there aren't many that use a WM5 pda/gps combo to geocache with.

With that qualification added, you're probably right. There are plenty of people using Pocket PCs on the trail, though, and some of them use a Bluetooth (or not) GPSr connected to it. However, it's likely that relatively few are using that version of the operating system, much less with a GPSr attached.

Specifically, I was trying to find something that was made for WM 5.0.

That, in particular, is what RumJungle and I were addressing. There have been other programs already mentioned in this thread. Granted, they weren't made specifically for WM5, but that's because they don't have to be. Chances are, unless they're doing something ugly under the hood to pull off what they do, they'll run under WM5... Microsoft states that rather clearly, at least on their developer sites (haven't looked at the consumer sites yet for that).

That just goes to show that, while limited in true Microsoft fashion, Pocket PC does have some sort of backward compatibility.

Edited by Maeglin

I just made a post on Geocaching Topics discussing BackCountry Navigator. I've used it on several cache hunts now and am hooked. DL topo and/or aerial maps directly to the PPC from any Internet connection or Activesync. Full LOC and GPX support built-in, including hints and notes. Able to dl POIs and waypoints to the map. Real-time support for most GPSr's. The resolution is incredible if you can run full VGA, plus it supports WM 5.0. All for $30.

Last night I was caching with two good friends. We decided to hunt for another cache after completing the first. The topo map was great, giving us an idea about the topology of the cache. I used it yesterday in a hunt with my family and by using the topo map we were able to identify the hill that the cache was sitting upon.

I think I'm going to pick up a Holux 236 bt GPSr to try out. I'd love to see how accurate it is under tree canopies, and see if I can attach it to my pack's shoulder straps.

Edited by jiminpotomac

I just made a post on Geocaching Topics discussing BackCountry Navigator. I've used it on several cache hunts now and am hooked. DL topo and/or aerial maps directly to the PPC from any Internet connection or Activesync. Full LOC and GPX support built-in, including hints and notes. Able to dl POIs and waypoints to the map. Real-time support for most GPSr's. The resolution is incredible if you can run full VGA, plus it supports WM 5.0. All for $30.

Last night I was caching with two good friends. We decided to hunt for another cache after completing the first. The topo map was great, giving us an idea about the topology of the cache. I used it yesterday in a hunt with my family and by using the topo map we were able to identify the hill that the cache was sitting upon.

I think I'm going to pick up a Holux 236 bt GPSr to try out. I'd love to see how accurate it is under tree canopies, and see if I can attach it to my pack's shoulder straps.

Sweet, thanks for the info! I'll give it a try!