Meridian & Sd Cards

HAHAMICE

I'm consdiering a purchase of an SD Card for my Meridian Platinum so I can make use of some of the mapping software. The largest card that Magellan sells is 64Mb. Obviously there are much larger cards available.

I borrowed a 512 card to test if it would work. The GPS started OK with the larger card, but I don't have the sofware yet.

Is it worth having a larger card? Will mapsend and/or the GPS make use of it or is it just a was of memory?

Is it worth having a larger card? Will mapsend and/or the GPS make use of it or is it just a was of memory?

I have a 256MB, I think it's enough. It all depends how far you are regularely going with your GPS and then how many 64MB regions you need to keep on the card at all time. I live in Chicago area and go to Dallas regularely. I then have these 2 regions loaded, DirectRoute and Topo and still have about 30% free on the SD. My home area includes part of Illinois, part of Wisconsin, part of Michigan, part of Indiana and Iowa on about 63MB. You can always remove and add maps from the SD when you travel in a new area, the SD is very easy to remove from the Meridian (not so easy on the Exlporist that I now also have), and you need an SD card reader. I don't know how high you can go but I think it was successfully tested up to 2GB.

I personally could get by with a 256mb card, but 512 gives me plenty of room to not have to worry about good housekeeping. With prices what they are, I'd buy no lower than 256. I just ordered a 512 card that will be $20 after rebate.

I tend to stay away from buying massively larger than my anticipated need, because prices always keep dropping. Although I've crept up from a 64mb to 128, 256, and a 512--thus opening myself to a charge that I should've bought a 512 in the first place--I've got 4 cards of varying sizes for GPS, PDA, camera, and other uses...all for the same approximate mount of money that I would have spent on a 512 card if I would have paid the premium cost back then as opposed to what they go for now. ( I sure hope that last sentence is decodable, because it hurts my head to think about re-writing it)

You don't need to buy from Magellan.

Any name brand secure digital card will work. I use mostly Sandisk cards. A 256 card will give lots and lots of coverage in 64 mb blocks. If you can buy a 512 mb card cheaper, then do it. None of this means a thing unless you use mapping software. If not, then the 16 mb card that came with the unit will store your waypoints etc.

I asked Magellan what was the largest size the unit could handle, after a lot of e-mails they seemed to say 1gig.

I use a 512Mb it has all the maps I need and some space to spare. Probably for the US a bigger card would be useful. Nothing like having the whole country on 1 card.

I use a kodak card cos they were on sale at the time

Edited by tttedzeins

Just a quick reply....!

I just got myself a 1Gb "Astone" SD card :lol: (yep that's right Astone, I never heard of them before too!) .

I'm about to recieve a very nice digital camera as a gift, and I purchased the SDcard in preparation

So, of course I load some files to the card, to see if the thing is recognised by the MeriColor...... :o

No Problems!!

The new SD card is a faster generation SD card (so now I'm looking for a USB2.0 card reader!), and I assumed the worst, when attempting to mate it to the Meridian.

ps. it was 3/4 the price of a similar Toshiba/SanDisk/etc brand name!!

Hope this helps!