Custom Garmin Pois For Aviation

Neo_Geo

Well, although I only have a 60C (not a Cx), I have tried my hand at creating some aeronautical POIs including airports, NDBs and VOR - VOR/DMEs - VORTACs. They're complete with appropriate custom icons as well. The VORs and VOR/DMEs are represented by the VORTAC icon, but are listed by the generic term "VOR".

There're 8,168 airports, 1,761 VORs, and 2,780 NDBs for a total of 12,709 POIs altogether. Size on disk = 832 KB (851,968 bytes). Not sure how much map memory they'll take...

Reply here or send me an email if you're interested... If you "PM" me, I may not respond for months!

:D

Well, although I only have a 60C (not a Cx), I have tried my hand at creating some aeronautical POIs including airports, NDBs and VOR - VOR/DMEs - VORTACs. They're complete with appropriate custom icons as well. The VORs and VOR/DMEs are represented by the VORTAC icon, but are listed by the generic term "VOR".

There're 8,168 airports, 1,761 VORs, and 2,780 NDBs for a total of 12,709 POIs altogether. Size on disk = 832 KB (851,968 bytes). Not sure how much map memory they'll take...

Reply here or send me an email if you're interested... If you "PM" me, I may not respond for months!

I'M INTERESTED. have the same idea as you about aviation gps units. just need to route and track.

dives4me-geo@yahoo.com

Thanks to Neo_Geo for these custom aviation POIs! I had a chance to load up your custom POIs for airports. Just a note to let you know, there are about 964 points in the "Airports" .csv file, and about 385 points in the "NDB" .csv file that will not load due to an error. It starts loading then gives the "error" message of a "problem on line xxx" for each file. It will load up to that point, then quits.

I found what the error was for both. All the POIs that lie south of the equator have a letter "S" in front of the LAT numerals. It doesn't like the "S". I suppose the S's could be changed to a "-" (a minus sign) to indicate being below the equator. For now I just filtered out (and deleted) the entries that had an "S" to save as a separate file and then it worked great! It loaded 12K points in just seconds! The icons show as very small, but that's not an issue for me. I haven't played too much with all that.

Many thanks again Neo_Geo!

My apologies to all who have been inconvenienced by the errors. I have made corrections to the files and will resend them tomorrow morning (I'm having problems with my cable modem at home whereas I can't seem to upload any large files).

As a bonus, I've just completed the "fixes" files. There're are some 19,000+ of these POIs (yeah - I've been busy), so you may or may not want to upload them (your choice).

Edited by Neo_Geo

Several years ago I had more time than sense (or money), I made some maps that included both points and airspace. It took a bit of time and because airspace changes often they have to be "remade" every few months.

GPSScreensSmall.jpg

GPSScreens.jpg

If anyone is interested in picking up this project I would be glad to pass on all my info. It needs someone who can write programs on theinternet that can go get the data and run it through the required programs to sort and convert it to Garmin format

My data came from DAFIF files that I am hearing is no longer available, thanks Osama.

Scott