Enhancement To Date / Time Stamps Request

GenCuster

Good Morning (15 Feb in New Zealand Time but probably 14 Feb in Geocache Server Time).

1. Is it possible for the Date to be displayed in Local Date (eg: Use PC Regional Settings) instead of the Date on the Geocaching server when enter cache and TB logs?

Reason: New Zealand (and other places) are a day ahead of the Geocaching Server. So (for example), today shows as 14 February when logging a cache/TB but it is actually 15 February here in New Zealand.

Geocacher satisfaction level could be enhanced by not having to edit the post to change the date.

2. Is it possible to add a Time field to the cache/TB logs also? And - then sort the logs by Date then Time?

Geocacher satisfaction level would again be increased by allowing logs on a cache/TB that have multiple 'hits' on the same day be displayed in the order the Geocacher visited the cache - not when the log was entered.

Cheers.

Good Morning (15 Feb in New Zealand Time but probably 14 Feb in Geocache Server Time).

1. Is it possible for the Date to be displayed in Local Date (eg: Use PC Regional Settings) instead of the Date on the Geocaching server when enter cache and TB logs?

Better would be if there was a locale setting on user's profile page. User's browser is not necessarily on the same time zone that the user is, there are users that don't use a Windows-based desktop PC.

Now we have a time zone setting in Forum Control Panel, but it affects only time shown on forums.

One setting at user profile could take care of:

* time zone

* measures (metric vs miles/feet/fahrenheit)

* paper size for the PDFs

* date format

The support for this functionality is built-in in all modern operating systems, I guess it would be also in MS Windows, which is the server's platform.

2. Is it possible to add a Time field to the cache/TB logs also? And - then sort the logs by Date then Time?

Would love to see this one, too.

We've been begging for this for years now. It is completely trivial to implement on the log page, and the time is already stored for the logs anyway; it is just set to midnight right now. I am perplexed that such a simple and self-evidently valuable feature hasn't been added.

To make it worse, the longer it goes without being implemented, the more logs there are out there without this valuable information.

Better would be if there was a locale setting on user's profile page. User's browser is not necessarily on the same time zone that the user is, there are users that don't use a Windows-based desktop PC.

Now we have a time zone setting in Forum Control Panel, but it affects only time shown on forums.

Thanks for the info there - I've changed my settings for these forums :)

We've been begging for this for years now. It is completely trivial to implement on the log page, and the time is already stored for the logs anyway; it is just set to midnight right now. I am perplexed that such a simple and self-evidently valuable feature hasn't been added.

To make it worse, the longer it goes without being implemented, the more logs there are out there without this valuable information.

OK, now to ask what may be a really silly question - but how do change requests get put in front of The Powers That Be? In the few caches (12 in 21 days) that I have found, I've generally entered the time in the first line of the log. The time was noted in Cachemate on my Treo 650 EBA (Essential Business Accessory aka gadget).

This has resulted in some clarity for me and it seems an obvious function to have as standard. As does the User specified locale settings. Who do we go begging to? Are there procedures and policies in place for this? :) I'd thought that this Forum would be a path to a resolution. Or do we just all talk to ourselves <he asks, tongue in cheek>?

I'd thought that this Forum would be a path to a resolution.

This forum is a path to get *ideas* to TPTB. They then prioritize the ideas and implement the ones that excite them and/or suit their business plan.

Many ideas have been suggested here and implemented quickly. Others have taken years to implement, and still others have not been implemented yet.